5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Drive Impression - from the Frontlines

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 85
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 85

It finally arrived, and needless to say, I threw a plate on the back and had the truck remote-started before I even sat at my desk today.

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie, Crew Cab, Short Box, 4x4, Hemi V8 - Diamond Black

(see attachment)(see attachment)(see attachment)

This truck was lightly equipped, as we call "Bank Orders" - IE a truck that was force-shipped to us from FCA without allowing us to modify its build. Key missing features include the 360 Camera, 12" Screen, and Panoramic Sunroof.
Despite the "light load", this Laramie still garners a whopping $74,105 CAD MSRP, roughly $9,000 more (before a 25% off rebate...) than the outgoing 2018 DS Ram 1500 Laramie in a similar build.

DT Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab Short Box 4x4

(see attachment)

DS 2018 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab Short Box 4x4

(see attachment)

Let's start at the exterior -

The 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie looks modern - that's the first thing that caught my eye. The LED headlamps and tail lights immediately allow the DT Ram to distinguish itself from its outgoing model. The grille kinks beautifully at the center, and the new RAM badging on the grille and tailgate are sharp and industrial looking. Despite the attempt to add some "muscle" to the sides of the DT Ram, I found in person it appears slab-sided much like the DS, and that the illusion of having bulge is only really perceived due to the box not being flush with the cab, where it tapers in. The tailgate is ridiculously light, the easy down tailgate is impressive, and the new rear bumper looks amazing and has a ton of function for stepping into the bed. The RAM team placed the sensors for both front and back parking in a clever, unnoticeable way. The wheels are full alloy, which is phenomenal, as the outgoing Laramie had "chrome clad" wheels which were good from far, but far from good - appearing very cheap up close.

(see attachment)

The interior -

This is where RAM hit it out of the park. My manager demo is a 2018 Ram 1500 DS Sport, Crew Cab, Short Box. I drive about an hour everyday in this truck, so even the most subtle of changes were apparent immediately. Everything is soft, high quality material. The center console nearly cushions your right arm it is so plush. The center console is ingenious, and for those of which who had the opportunity to drive the late Chrysler 200, it shared much of its innovation from that car.

(see attachment)

Uconnect 4C is something I am already familiar with in my 2018 Ram, however, where the 2019 Ram has my 18' beat is the unbelievable back-up camera quality. The picture is crystal clear. The dials and knobs on the center stack are solid, built with the same quality as the JL Wrangler. They feel industrial. You'll notice that the term industrial keeps coming up - this truck has found a way to combine a factory with a spa... I don't know how else to explain it. The Harmon-Kardon sound system kicks *** - for those of you who have had the opportunity to listen to it in a Challenger or Grand Cherokee - the Ram sound quality is right there. Loud, clear, crisp.

The seats were surprising - on the Laramie it combines Leather and Suede, however, the suede insert is only a few inches wide and follows the inside of the bolstering. The seats are more comfortable, in my opinion, than the outgoing model. The back-seats are a treat. As a salesman of our product, having a flat floor with a true 3 passenger rear bench is huge. Many sales are lost to Ford for this feature being missing on the DS Rams. The reclining seats are ridiculous, you'll almost chuckle at how comfortable you are. The center bench folds out into a wicked console fit for a BMW 7 series.

(see attachment)

I've reached my photo limit - so part 2 below...

Attachments

• pasted-from-clipboard.png
    pasted-from-clipboard.png
    88.1 KB · Views: 787
  • FullSizeR_06.jpg
    FullSizeR_06.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 781
  • FullSizeR_04.jpg
    FullSizeR_04.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 14
  • FullSizeR_10.jpg
    FullSizeR_10.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 775
  • FullSizeR_08.jpg
    FullSizeR_08.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2509_01.jpg
    IMG_2509_01.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 784
  • FullSizeR_03.jpg
    FullSizeR_03.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 775
  • FullSizeR_01.jpg
    FullSizeR_01.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 779
  • FullSizeR.jpg
    FullSizeR.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 781
  • pasted-from-clipboard.png
    pasted-from-clipboard.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 781
(see attachment)

Interior cont'd...

The new dial-shifter is leaps and bound better. It has these little notches that fit your fingers beautifully, as well as a much clearer tactile response to shifting from Park, Reverse, Drive. The new 7" in-cluster display is sharp. It carries that industrial-meets-technology theme that RAM has nailed. The entire center stack is easy to use, which is something FCA has had on the competition since the 8.4" Uconnect debuted 7+ years ago. You won't find yourself searching for what you need, and for those of which that joke that you could put the truck into Park when trying to turn down the volume, there is now a considerable amount of distance between each dial.

(see attachment)

The Drive -

Quiet.

It is so damn quiet compared to my DS Ram 1500. It feels light, nimble, and accelerates faster in my butt-test. The steering wheel carries these characteristics... it feels effortless to maneuver. You can really feel the new, bigger brakes - it stops quickly and again, quietly. The 8 speed transmission feels better - my shifts were quick as always, but I just felt that the throttle response was better managed. My current gen Ram 1500 would fight me hard on a quick acceleration, whereas I found the DT ready, willing, and able to get up and go.

Ask away below... Having finally touched one, I'd love to hear any questions you may have!

Attachments

• FullSizeR_10.jpg
    FullSizeR_10.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 771
  • FullSizeR_11.jpg
    FullSizeR_11.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 772
Guess I better not go drive one. If it is that much better than DS my 99 will seem like a horse and buggy.

Great review and write up.

Thanks @BobbiBigWheels

1f60e.png

like Jarred said-great review. up here in kelowna we just got a silver limited fully loaded, (no rambox)colour matching bumpers etc.(might have been on the same semi as yours) spent 15 mins inside and out. first thing that shocked me (after i left) was the "chipmunk cheeks" was little to non-existent. pictures don't do it justice.might have something to do with the colour matching bumpers etc. for sure the laramie will fix the issue if you have a problem with "the cheeks" . interior is now equal to my wife's 2016 g/c summit. i will be ordering a laramie but if i was 5 years older (semi-retired) i would order a limited for sure (with ramboxes of course) VERY IMPRESSED!

mikemcfarland said:
like Jarred said-great review. up here in kelowna we just got a silver limited fully loaded, (no rambox)colour matching bumpers etc.(might have been on the same semi as yours) spent 15 mins inside and out. first thing that shocked me (after i left) was the "chipmunk cheeks" was little to non-existent. pictures don't do it justice.might have something to do with the colour matching bumpers etc. for sure the laramie will fix the issue if you have a problem with "the cheeks" . interior is now equal to my wife's 2016 g/c summit. i will be ordering a laramie but if i was 5 years older (semi-retired) i would order a limited for sure (with ramboxes of course) VERY IMPRESSED!
Definitely needs to be seen in person for sure, a lot of things people don't like in pictures seem to disappear.

Robs review was so well written it is going up on the front page tomorrow morning, our video review will be up next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back