5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Camping of 2019

PhotogDSlavey

Reaction score
Greetings,

We had our first 2-night camping trip of the season this weekend. Just a local campground and not far to go...thankfully. Still fighting my tow setup. This was by far my worst experience ever towing and I've towed numerous popups and travel trailers for more than 20 years. Friday's Cincinnati windy weather did not help, either. Also, my Air Lift bags were not functional...again. I've now had two bag/fitting failures without even using the truck for any loads. Air Lift is sending a complete new kit and the garage is doing a complete new install. Back to towing... I know I have some sag with the trailer attached (why I got air bags). Tires inflated to 50psi cold...I was ready to go. But as soon as I hit the highway, the rig was all over the place. I've never felt anything this bad. Thinking it's the tail wagging the dog, but I honestly didn't see much movement in the trailer. I was all over the road and bailed out at an exit after only a few miles. I'll be doing more hitch adjustments this week as we're back out camping locally again this Wednesday. If I can't get the Andersen WDH dialed in soon, I'll be looking for another system before we hit the road on longer trips. On the plus side, that Hemi roars and there's definitely no lack of power or torque :) Still love my RAM!

IMG_0324.jpg IMG_0325.jpg IMG_0324.jpg IMG_0325.jpg

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have the P rated factory tires. 50lbs seems like alot of air in them.

We have a new discusion going on about how trucks (especially HD trucks) ARE NOT the best tow rigs.

The experience you describe makes me glad I still lean to the older thought process.

The new discussion says new LT tires, new HD shocks and an expensive hitch reciever setup.

Good luck with getting it figured out. I do not really have any suggestions, other than that is a big trailer and I hate the highway.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats on getting to go camping. Our first trip will be April 12th, unless we go a little farther this Friday.

Can not wait to make the first tow with this 2500 and 392 Hemi.

Keep us posted, appreciate the info and pics. Very anxious am I.

PhotogDSlavey

Reaction score
Congrats on getting to go camping. Our first trip will be April 12th, unless we go a little farther this Friday.

Can not wait to make the first tow with this 2500 and 392 Hemi.

Keep us posted, appreciate the info and pics. Very anxious am I.
Thanks :). Been chomping at the bit to get out. Two nice days of camping with some chilly (high 20s, low 30s) temps at night. Had a blast and gave me chance to shakedown things before this week's trip. To answer your question about tires. They are the Nexen Roadian HTX RH5. 275/55R20 Max load 2535lbs, at 51psi max press. Now, I will say that I have always kept close to max cold pressure (within 3-4 lbs) on every vehicle I've ever towed with. Never had tire issues and great tread wear. Only thing I guess I would ask here is if that max pressure is "cold" pressure? I believe I've always seen that on tire sidewalls, but not on these. Maybe I need to back them off slightly? I looked at Nexen's site, but no other info that helps out. I'll be back at Wednesday and see how it goes with my next round of adjustments ;)

jeffmc306

Reaction score
Greetings,

We had our first 2-night camping trip of the season this weekend. Just a local campground and not far to go...thankfully. Still fighting my tow setup. This was by far my worst experience ever towing and I've towed numerous popups and travel trailers for more than 20 years. Friday's Cincinnati windy weather did not help, either. Also, my Air Lift bags were not functional...again. I've now had two bag/fitting failures without even using the truck for any loads. Air Lift is sending a complete new kit and the garage is doing a complete new install. Back to towing... I know I have some sag with the trailer attached (why I got air bags). Tires inflated to 50psi cold...I was ready to go. But as soon as I hit the highway, the rig was all over the place. I've never felt anything this bad. Thinking it's the tail wagging the dog, but I honestly didn't see much movement in the trailer. I was all over the road and bailed out at an exit after only a few miles. I'll be doing more hitch adjustments this week as we're back out camping locally again this Wednesday. If I can't get the Andersen WDH dialed in soon, I'll be looking for another system before we hit the road on longer trips. On the plus side, that Hemi roars and there's definitely no lack of power or torque :) Still love my RAM!

View attachment 20169 View attachment 20170 View attachment 20169 View attachment 20170

Your truck and trailer look great together - thanks for sharing the photos! I’m envious that you’re out camping already. We *just* got rid of the last snow.

Sorry to hear about your undesirable towing experience. There’s a great description of how to set up a weight distribution hitch + air bags on the Airlift site: https://www.airliftcompany.com/workshop/weight-distribution-bars-air-springs/

You’ll need an accurate measurement of your trailer’s tongue weight (loaded) then make sure your Anderson WDH bars are over that number. Set up the bars in the Airlift instructions then add air to your bags.

We’re headed to Jackson Center, OH to see our new Airstream trailer in production next week. Can’t wait to get out! Happy Camping :)

csmith2007

Reaction score
Can you tell us what your caper numbers are.I'm curious as we have similar truck. My camper is 6000 dry. 28 ft. My 2013 did ok pulling. Hoping the 2019 does much better

PhotogDSlavey

Reaction score
Can you tell us what your caper numbers are.I'm curious as we have similar truck. My camper is 6000 dry. 28 ft. My 2013 did ok pulling. Hoping the 2019 does much better
Camper is a 2019 Vibe Extreme Lite 261BHS. Was approx 5,800lbs from the factory and is towing at 32' 10" total...believe the box is 28 1/2'. I'm hoping to get to a local CAT Scale soon and see if that can't help me figure out what's going on. Air Lift bags get re-installed, again (3rd time) tomorrow. Hoping they can pinpoint why I've had two bag failures on the same side. Doing a complete reinstall.

rudyyoko

Reaction score
What problems did you have towing your trailer with your 2013? I had a 2014 express quad cab with a 6.4 bed, 5.7 and 3.21 gears. My trailer is about the same specs as yours and I used the same weight distribution hitch on my 2019, crew cab, 6.4 bed 4x4 laramie, 5.7, and 3.21 gears. I did not feel any difference towing between both trucks, they both felt great down the highway/city driving. Never under powered, never out of control. Thats why Im curious. Picture is with my 2014.
Ramntrailer.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online