5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Blood - Big whoops

BmoreStew

Reaction score
My mom-in-law was in a fender bender last week. She couldn’t afford her deductible and I’ve got a huge problem watching someone who has less than zero money paying a mechanic 5 times what I know the work is worth, so I offered to do the work for her. Figure i might win CNN’s person of year award.

Anyway, figured that if I was quick, i could pickup her car and get back before my lunch break was over. 12 comes, i rush out, hook up the trailer and hit the road. Got to her place and start driving the car onto the trailer and that’s the moment I realized that I didn’t lock the tongue down on the ball.

Everything happened at that perfect speed where you know exactly what‘s happening, but can’t do a damn thing to stop it. the second the back wheels of her car hit the ramp, the tongue popped off the ball, and the whole damn rolled down the slightest incline you’ve ever seen... right into the tailgate. I think i started shaking my head before it even hit.

My mother-in-law screams and then starts apologizing profusely and offering to pay for it with her insurance check. So, of course, first I look all around to see if anyone else saw that dumbassery and then 5 minutes explaining that she’s not the idiot who didn’t check his trailer... and fighting the urge to say “your check isn’t going to cover this anyway”.

Worst part was hearing the tongue slide down the tailgate onto the bumper after I chocked the trailer wheels and pulled the two apart. I was smiling most of the time though... it was just too stupid not to chuckle. I told her as stupid as I was, she might have been dumber for watching me do that and still letting me load up her car and drive off.

If it wasn’t this it’d be a piece of firewood thrown just a bit off the mark or something else AND the damn thing could of popped off on the highway... could of been much worse. It’s a truck and **** happens when you use a truck to do truck things. A $1000 mistake. Don’t skip the trailer checklist people.

Made it back before lunch was over. So win.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Hate when that crap happens.

Last car - I went to get in to drive it off the dealership lot, had an ooops with the keys and scratched the door.

"Well, got that out of the way". Never hit anything else in 90K miles. 2 days before the trade-in for this truck, some kid at a red light on his phone lifts off his brake and rolls into the back. Luckily, ZERO DAMAGE. I flew out of the drivers seat - expecting a trip to the body shop - TWO DAYS BEFORE I WAS GOING TO TRADE IT IN. If there wasn't a sheriffs deputy right behind him, I would have DROPPED HIM ON THE SPOT.

No good deed, goes unpunished.

Rick

Glenn54

Reaction score
Your heart was in the right place. Sorry this happened to you. My wife's cousin was towing his muscle car on a trailer when the trailer came loose from the truck. It took out a couple of signs and scratched/dented the muscle car. No one was hurt but I think his damage was worse than yours. Glad your trailer came loose when it did and not driving down the highway.

BmoreStew

Reaction score
Sorry man, a good deed will be rewarded sometime, just not now. Pics?

it never occurs to me take pictures. Wish I had, if only to share here. I just picked up the repaired tailgate. They did a great job.

honestly it didnt look all that bad; just a good deep scratch from the ram emblem down to the crease where the trailer came to a rest. The crease had a good dent there. If this had happened a couple years from now, I probably would of left it, but she’s only 6 months old....

Ranger482

Reaction score
Like you said at least it didn't happen on the road, which could have been way worse. You have some good karma coming your way.

Users who are viewing this thread