5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First 1,000 mile review!

Quint

Reaction score
I'm at 1,700 miles. I did a lot of driving at get it out of the 500 mile break in, and then basically circled the state of MN towing my snowmobiles up north (never exceeding 50mph), then ice fishing on Lake Of The Woods and back to the Cities. The only things that I can complain about are nitpicking. Great truck. I look for reasons to drive it somewhere. That is a sign of a good truck.

The back seat is definitely more roomy than my 2015. My 9yr old blurted it out as soon as she sat in the back - right after getting excited that I had them install heated seats in the back. The 6 speaker stereo sucks terribly but I'll add in an LOC/amp/sub so that I can hear John Paul Jones pumping out groovy bass lines. I wasn't impressed with the 9-speaker Alpine in my 2015 so I knew I was going to have to upgrade either way.

This is the first new vehicle that I've ever owned that didn't have a problem within the first few weeks of ownership - one out of five isn't bad??!? 🤔

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Unless you can tell me exactly how to I beg to differ with you on turning off the all the lights. There is no such setting in UC. You can turn off the daylight running lights but there is no setting for all lights off. What I meant on the radio is when driving if you turn off the radio the screen goes dark. So the alternative is to mute the sound or to turn the sound down.
Just my opinion but if you think that tail gate is light then I am really a 98# weakling. LOL

Interesting on the split of the heads up...one man's treasure...another man's Junk.

I said headlights, you cant turn off the DRLs to my knowledge, maybe one of the OBD2 plug in devices can.
No, I don't like that radio function either, seems like they missed a useful setting there.
No, my tailgate is feather light compared to my Gen 3, I can close my tailgate with 1 or 2 fingers, my gen 3 laughed if you tried to shut if one handed

BowDown

Reaction score
Lift? What's that? :ROFLMAO:
He was talking about the MFT. It's quite a bit heavier, and definitely takes more effort to close compared to the regular tailgate.

I've closed an MFT, not that much heavier and certainly not like the Gen 3/4

thewdb

Reaction score
Would you guys be able to post some pictures of the tow mirrors?

b871c1169155a89bbb77d5ebbc8b5538.jpg

70d4cac4c474163880a22b55ba205266.jpg

c9129d474d288d3731251bed9ff5a3ff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
"2021 Ram 1500 Limited, Ivory White, Indigo/Frost"... 2 years newer than ours and better equipped. Now that's nice!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've closed an MFT, not that much heavier and certainly not like the Gen 3/4
Oh you've closed one. I mean, don't listen to people who actually own them and regularly close them. :rolleyes: They are definitely heavier. It's enough of a difference that I often slam the regular tailgate on my truck because I'm used to closing the MFT on my wife's truck. Muscle memory doesn't lie.

Boston

Reaction score
I think paint quality is a Ram weak spot. The silver is to my eyes closer to gray than silvers done by other companies. It’s dull and lacks sparkle

BowDown

Reaction score
Oh you've closed one. I mean, don't listen to people who actually own them and regularly close them. :rolleyes: They are definitely heavier. It's enough of a difference that I often slam the regular tailgate on my truck because I'm used to closing the MFT on my wife's truck. Muscle memory doesn't lie.
Seriously?
I know it's not the same as the standard tailgate but its nowhere near the Gen 3/4.
Secondly, it doesn't take closing more than one to realize its a little heavier than the standard but nowhere near the previous model which I said. And fyi, I looked at MFT trucks shopping for mine, it was on the most want list but I couldn't make that happen with the other options I wanted at the time, I'm well versed in the MFT and its differences. No reason for you to get bent out of shape, relax

BowDown

Reaction score
I think paint quality is a Ram weak spot. The silver is to my eyes closer to gray than silvers done by other companies. It’s dull and lacks sparkle

I think paint color options are a little lacking, paint quality, I dont think is any worse than the other 3

TAK

Reaction score
I LOVE the HUD.
Use it all the time.

Also the tech package is dope. I got it for the digital mirror, not so much the heads up display.
Definitely worth the buy.
I forgot about the mirrors ...that is the reason I wanted the tech, package also.

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
I’m at about 600 miles currently. Some of our observations are the same... All of the things you like are right in line with me.

Funny about the tow mirrors. I haven’t towed with it yet (just 3 weeks old) but the mirrors are HUGE. I probably could have gotten away with the normal mirrors. I also haven’t had a chance to try the trailer back up yet.. I’ll weigh in on that later :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The question is, are you running them extended while not towing?

Narg

Reaction score
My thoughts on your negatives:

• Coming from a Honda Ridgeline...the Ram is a big truck. Still getting use to turns and backing up in tight places.
    I consider the Ridgeline a "SUT" or Sport Utility Truck, not a real truck like the RAM. It's just that different, and not comparable. Just because it has a bed doesn't make it a truck.

• Radio set up...turn it off and the screen goes off. Whats that all about?
    Pretty standard. Just turn sound down.

• Lights. No total off unless the car is off. Really?
    Safety feature. A good one.

• Heavy tail gate to close..need power gate. Thats why split gate was important.
    It's spring loaded, not nearly as heavy as it could be. Though I agree, Ford and GM have auto up tailgates. You should have got the split tailgate. I have it, it rocks.

• My opinion only...I like a dead mans pedal.
    10000% agree. Too bad we don't see aftermarket on these....

• Waste of money...heads up display.
    You won't want to live without one once you get used to it. :)

• Gas mileage...first 1,000 only 13.2/mpg. Now I do believe that this was due to a lot of idling (8 hours). So far after a reset I am now at 15.3/mpg
    I think RAM needs what GM does, 3 MPG meters, one at 25miles range, one at 200 miles range, and one at 500 miles range. Seems to be much more useful.

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
Not at all. I’ll get used to them, and they’ll be great when I am actually towing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Haha, I don't know if that's common where you live but most guys with tow mirrors here run them up all the time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210308-154457_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210308-154457_Google.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 10

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Seriously?
I know it's not the same as the standard tailgate but its nowhere near the Gen 3/4.
Secondly, it doesn't take closing more than one to realize its a little heavier than the standard but nowhere near the previous model which I said. And fyi, I looked at MFT trucks shopping for mine, it was on the most want list but I couldn't make that happen with the other options I wanted at the time, I'm well versed in the MFT and its differences. No reason for you to get bent out of shape, relax
Actually, the MFT weighs about 75 lbs more than the standard tailgate. I guess it depends on your definition of "not that much heavier". Regardless, I can definitely feel a difference in them.

Users who are viewing this thread