5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Firestone Destination XT reviews?

Nels

Reaction score
Anyone in this group have any experience with the newer Firestone Destination XT or AT2? Like a lot of others I'm having a tough time deciding what tire I want to go with. Was leaning toward bfg ko2s, but now I'm unsure again. Might not want to look that "beefy". I've had a couple of sets of Destination ATs in the past and thought they were great, but are these new AT2 and XT proven performers?

Vaughn

Reaction score
I had a bad experience with a Firestone dealer not honoring a warranty for a defective tire, swore I'd never buy another again.

So sorry I have no reviews of those tires... but just wanted to urge you to pick something else. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Nels

Reaction score
I had a bad experience with a Firestone dealer not honoring a warranty for a defective tire, swore I'd never buy another again.

So sorry I have no reviews of those tires... but just wanted to urge you to pick something else. Good luck with what ever you decide.
Thanks for your input. I've never had the unfortunate experience of trying to make good on a tire warranty, but have always wondered how that would go. I expect them to try to prorate it like a roof shingles. Sure it failed, but you got 20,000 miles or whatever out of it we're only giving you half or less of the replacement cost.

Vaughn

Reaction score
The tires only had a couple thousand miles on them, was under the car changing the oil and noticed a distinct bubble on the inner side of the side wall.

Dealer claimed we hit a curb and caused the bubble. There were no scuffs or scrapes on the bubble.

Nels

Reaction score
The tires only had a couple thousand miles on them, was under the car changing the oil and noticed a distinct bubble on the inner side of the side wall.

Dealer claimed we hit a curb and caused the bubble. There were no scuffs or scrapes on the bubble.
The bubble was on the inside of the tire and they claimed somehow that was caused by hitting a curb? I'm not following their logic on that one. Then again I'm no tire expert.

Vaughn

Reaction score
The bubble was on the inside of the tire and they claimed somehow that was caused by hitting a curb? I'm not following their logic on that one. Then again I'm no tire expert.
Yep on the inside. It was clearly a defective tire, and their logic was to make a young couple pay for a new tire instead of honoring the warranty.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had AT2 tires on my ram since October
I have a 90 miles round trip commute to work , but that’s been a once a week thing the last couple of months.

Live in Canada but I don’t feel that we got the snow we usually do, and with working from home I didn’t get in the snow we did get all that much.
But when I did get in the snow, no complaints.
Will be buying a set for our Wrangler next year.

Kondo

Reaction score
Do not have them on my Ram currently but had the AT2 on my last truck and loved them. Great road feel and quiet but aggressive look. Will probably go that route once the factory Goodyear’s wear out.

Nels

Reaction score
I’ve had AT2 tires on my ram since October
I have a 90 miles round trip commute to work , but that’s been a once a week thing the last couple of months.

Live in Canada but I don’t feel that we got the snow we usually do, and with working from home I didn’t get in the snow we did get all that much.
But when I did get in the snow, no complaints.
Will be buying a set for our Wrangler next year.
Is that the tire on your truck in your profile pic?

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is that the tire on your truck in your profile pic?

No it’s not.

4b62ed27b3275a1be00f84a9bdd6f8d4.jpg

27b26fc724546fc1ed00586fbddfd7e3.jpg

e21a12bd7502592780d00dd6956067ab.jpg

Nels

Reaction score
These tires are much lighter than others in LT sizes. One of my must haves is a tire that handles gravel well. I've had far too many flats with just about any factory tire over the years. Firestones are a little less money than say BFG KO2s, but I don't want to save $200 now and have to deal with easily punctured tires. Any concerns about the robustness of this tires build?

Last edited:

Nels

Reaction score
Do not have them on my Ram currently but had the AT2 on my last truck and loved them. Great road feel and quiet but aggressive look. Will probably go that route once the factory Goodyear’s wear out.
Did you spend much time on gravel roads with your AT2s?

Kondo

Reaction score
Did you spend much time on gravel roads with your AT2s?

Put about 15000 miles on them before I sold the truck. Mostly pavement but definitely put them through some gravel and washed out roads and had no issues.

I had a few sets of Cooper AT3’s and rank these all around much above those but especially for road / wet performance.

2019 Big Horn 4x4 Hemi 5’7”

ajutzi

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I've never had the unfortunate experience of trying to make good on a tire warranty, but have always wondered how that would go. I expect them to try to prorate it like a roof shingles. Sure it failed, but you got 20,000 miles or whatever out of it we're only giving you half or less of the replacement cost.
Just went through that with oem firestone transforce sidewall issue on my 2020 ram. firestone dealer said yes was a defect but would not warranty go to dealer. Another said yes a defect would not waranty said ok to drive on (cords showing splitting all around). Went to dealer said must have been curbed. No circular striation marks on them. A long loud fight with the service manager and they replaced the tire. Needless to say they are no longer my dealer. Moving on

FirstRam2020

Reaction score
I've spent waaaay too much time on tire rack. Lol

That's part of the problem - too many choices!

Agree'd! Lots of options, tests/results, etc. I keep thinking of one tire and think I made a decision, then look at tire rack...change my mind...repeat again, and again.

Keep looking at....and changing my mind about....the Toyo Open Country A/T III, Continental Terraincontact A/T, Firestone Destination A/T 2s, and Falken Wildpeaks.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Hankook Dynapro AT2 is a great choice if you want a more aggressive tire that isn't an XL or E rated, heavier tire.
They can be had for under $200ea and hardly affect ride quality.

Users who are viewing this thread