5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finished the exhaust!

Lonestar21

Reaction score
Multi Displacement System. It kicks the engine from 8 cylinders to 4 when all 8 cylinders are not needed. Supposed to help fuel economy, but the gain seems to be minimal at best. I find myself turning it off frequently.

Does the exhaust sound bad if you leave MDS on? Or what’s the reason behind this being an issue?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does the exhaust sound bad if you leave MDS on? Or what’s the reason behind this being an issue?
There is a noticeable change in the exhaust tone when it kicks in. Aftermarket exhausts make it even more noticeable and it typically doesn't sound good.

Lonestar21

Reaction score
There is a noticeable change in the exhaust tone when it kicks in. Aftermarket exhausts make it even more noticeable and it typically doesn't sound good.
Perfect thank you that’s what I needed to know

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Perfect thank you that’s what I needed to know
No problem. Some exhausts give it a terrible drone, some not so much. You can always turn MDS off by using the gear limit selector and setting it to 8 so you still shift through gears like normal.

Justin21771

Reaction score
Just registered to the forum, thanks for having me. Was wondering if there are any negative comments about drone in the cab? I am looking at just replacing stock muffler with Flowmaster Outlaw and initially leaving resonators in place. I am currently waiting on the PULSAR to be delivered as well.

Lonestar21

Reaction score
Just registered to the forum, thanks for having me. Was wondering if there are any negative comments about drone in the cab? I am looking at just replacing stock muffler with Flowmaster Outlaw and initially leaving resonators in place. I am currently waiting on the PULSAR to be delivered as well.

I have it and there is definitely drone when the truck goes into ‘eco’ mode.
It’s loud too

Justin21771

Reaction score
I have it and there is definitely drone when the truck goes into ‘eco’ mode.
It’s loud too
Thanks for the input, I may go with the 40 series Flowmaster or a Magnaflow. I have a Subaru WRX STI that has all the drone I want.

Thumper

Reaction score
When I deleted the muffler and resonators on my truck it was crazy loud. I ended up welding back in a magnaflow muffler and left the resonators out. I hated the sound that came from the resonators. I love the way it sounds now. This video is resonators deleted and just the mag muffler
What Magnaflow is this?

19 streak

Reaction score
What Magnaflow is this?
I'm not sure exactly what part number but it was a 14" muffler. I was given a straight through variant muffler since and am trying it out now. I think I like the sound more then the magnaflow

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
sounds good, is there drone while driving on the freeway? Curious because I'll be replacing the factory muffler with a magnaflow, debating on deleting the resonators but I don't want drone. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
I have the resonators in

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No problem. Some exhausts give it a terrible drone, some not so much. You can always turn MDS off by using the gear limit selector and setting it to 8 so you still shift through gears like normal.
Does it reset back when you turn off the truck?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does it reset back when you turn off the truck?
Yes, unfortunately you have to do it everytime you put the truck in drive. Even if you leave it running, if you put it in park, or reverse, when you put it back in drive you have to activate it again. It becomes second nature pretty quick.

dragon285

Reaction score
Thanks to all you guys!! I finally went ahead and did the Muffler and Resonator delete.....THE THING IS AWESOME!!!! and it sound amazing outside and in the cab. I know 19streak said that it was insanely loud to him, but for me its perfect. its also a lot cheaper. Here are some pics, and I'll have a video up ASAP. IMG_1018.jpeg IMG_1019.jpeg IMG_1022.jpeg IMG_1020.jpeg IMG_1021.jpeg IMG_1023.jpeg

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks to all you guys!! I finally went ahead and did the Muffler and Resonator delete.....THE THING IS AWESOME!!!! and it sound amazing outside and in the cab. I know 19streak said that it was insanely loud to him, but for me its perfect. its also a lot cheaper. Here are some pics, and I'll have a video up ASAP. View attachment 16174 View attachment 16175 View attachment 16176 View attachment 16177 View attachment 16178 View attachment 16179
So is this just removing the muffler and the resonator? Is this set up able to pass inspection?

dragon285

Reaction score
So is this just removing the muffler and the resonator? Is this set up able to pass inspection?

Yes all i did was remove muffler and resonator, as you can see in the pictures. As for inspections, we don't have them here in Florida so cant help you there. Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread