5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally about to purchase...looking for opinions before I pull the trigger.

Skidowntown

Reaction score
I've decided to go w/a Laramie Sport. I like the overall look and package best.

I basically want every option minus the Air Suspension and Ram boxes. It's been tough to find options. I am sure I would've had a truck had I decided before Covid, but now the options are down and I don't want to wait two months for an order.

Anyway....here's what I'm trying to decide...help a future RAM owner out :)

Three trucks - They have everything minus Air/Boxes and barn door tailgate- all the same...but each lacks the following
1. Smaller fuel tank (26 Gallon)
2. 8.4 inch Screen vs. 12"
3. Diesel

I think I want the Hemi, but the Diesel has the 12" screen and bigger tank.

Should I just be cool w/the smaller tank on the Hemi? Just curious what you guys think.

Also, I'll be replacing the Sport wheels for the Rebels and leveling the front...but no other changes.

Thank you!

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
I've decided to go w/a Laramie Sport. I like the overall look and package best.

I basically want every option minus the Air Suspension and Ram boxes. It's been tough to find options. I am sure I would've had a truck had I decided before Covid, but now the options are down and I don't want to wait two months for an order.

Anyway....here's what I'm trying to decide...help a future RAM owner out :)

Three trucks - They have everything minus Air/Boxes and barn door tailgate- all the same...but each lacks the following
1. Smaller fuel tank (26 Gallon)
2. 8.4 inch Screen vs. 12"
3. Diesel

I think I want the Hemi, but the Diesel has the 12" screen and bigger tank.

Should I just be cool w/the smaller tank on the Hemi? Just curious what you guys think.

Also, I'll be replacing the Sport wheels for the Rebels and leveling the front...but no other changes.

Thank you!

You will never break even with the EcoDiesel so as long as you’re ok paying the extra $3K for that option alone then go for it.

Kevin O'Leary

Reaction score
Try both engines on the road and see what you like best. I tried the eco diesel and thought it lacked a lot of the punch that the hemi has.

Skidowntown

Reaction score
So IF they Diesel and Hemi were the same price, you'd pick the Diesel?

I plan on owning this truck for a while and while 3k is a lot of money, the money isn't the deciding factor for me here.

Thx!

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
20-30 years ago I'd say get the diesel, but not today. Electronics and computers have ruined what was designed to run without electricity or a brain. Diesels used to be a thing of mechanical beauty

Get the Hemi. You won't be disappointed by the sound or the instant power

STR

Reaction score
I have the 12” screen w/the Harmon Kardon, which is one of favorite features. Never considered the Diesel... HEMI all the way. Bigger gas tank, meh. Go to the Ram Truck site and expand your search from your zip code. That’s what I did, and found exactly what I was looking for... I like that it also provides the window sticker, so you can confirm all of the options. Also, you can usually get a better deal with a truck in inventory... and, the end of the month is the best time to buy. GL

Stevenc150

Reaction score
IMO...wait. personally, was too much money for me to drive something I might regret. My min. criteria were:

- '19-'20 Longhorn trim
- no air susp
- hemi w/o e-torque
- 4wd
- pano sunroof
- 22" wheels
- patriot blue (aka UK blue)
- power r.boards

I opened my search all the way out to 500+ miles, figured to make a weekend of it. Took me over a month ...and I missed the 0% interest by 2 days too early [facepalm]

Skidowntown

Reaction score
IMO...wait. personally, was too much money for me to drive something I might regret. My min. criteria were:

- '19-'20 Longhorn trim
- no air susp
- hemi w/o e-torque
- 4wd
- pano sunroof
- 22" wheels
- patriot blue (aka UK blue)
- power r.boards

I opened my search all the way out to 500+ miles, figured to make a weekend of it. Took me over a month ...and I missed the 0% interest by 2 days too early [facepalm]
I have the 12” screen w/the Harmon Kardon, which is one of favorite features. Never considered the Diesel... HEMI all the way. Bigger gas tank, meh. Go to the Ram Truck site and expand your search from your zip code. That’s what I did, and found exactly what I was looking for... I like that it also provides the window sticker, so you can confirm all of the options. Also, you can usually get a better deal with a truck in inventory... and, the end of the month is the best time to buy. GL

Thank you, I've been doing this too. Trucks harder to find now...since production is down. I may just need to be patient.

Boston

Reaction score
$3k buys over 1200 gallons of gas. Plus diesel costs more to service plus there are few mechanics at dealers who understand them. Please a convince me otherwise. I'd love to do 800 miles on a tank. Diesel also has lower towing ability.

I'm fighting the same fight but to me the Hemi is winning. Don't be afraid to look out of state. You might just find nirvana.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Make sure you know exactly which tank you'll be getting. The crew cabs with the etorque have a 23 gallon tank. I can tell you from experience, the 23 gallon tank is too small. My range is about 330 miles. So it seems like I'm always having to stop for gas. I thought mine had a 26 gallon tank when I bought it, which is the same size I had on my previous truck. It was quite a shock when I found out the truth. I love my 2020 Laramie, but the 23 gallon fuel tank and lack of multi-function tailgate are my two big regrets about it.

Now for a little unsolicited advice, which admittedly would make it harder to find a truck. You might also reconsider the rambox and multi-function tailgate. I was skeptical when I saw them online, but having used the MFT on my girlfriend's truck, I really wish I would have gotten it on mine. No having to reach across the tailgate when loading or unloading the bed. Plus, it can act as a traditional tailgate if you need a work space or a quick seat. As for the rambox, it's something I will always get as long they are available. I don't miss the small amount of bed space I lost, because for me it was not really usable space. And I have the added lockable storage areas inside the boxes.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
IF the diesel was the same cost yes I would because you save so much money on gas and can get nearly 800 miles to a tank if you have the 33gal. The EcoDiesel does have turbo lag that the Duramax doesn’t. The Sierra charges the same upgrade cost on their Duramax as the bigger 6.2 V8 so their diesel is a no brainer.

Boston

Reaction score
I wish diesel fuel was taxed at the same rate as gas by the Feds. That change alone would swing many buyers

Gunny1213

Reaction score
I have the 2020 Ram Laramie crew cab 4X4 sport package with the 12" screen Panoramic sunroof 5.7 Hemi w/o e torque (gas) and I love it. Patriot pearl coat. Couldn't be happier. 20" tires

Captain Stack

Reaction score
The air suspension, 12 inch screen and bigger gas tank are the 3 best options I got on my truck. Couldn't live without them now. Oh and of course the Hemi is an absolute no brainer; proven, powerful, tons of torque.

NewTruckWhoDis

Reaction score
The air suspension, 12 inch screen and bigger gas tank are the 3 best options I got on my truck. Couldn't live without them now. Oh and of course the Hemi is an absolute no brainer; proven, powerful, tons of torque.
I agree that the air suspension and bigger tank are great features that I am glad I got with mine. I have the 12 inch screen as well, but I really feel that they are really under-utilizing it. Especially with Android Auto and Apple Carplay. I'd love to have the screen split between the AA nav and pandora. It does have a fun "wow" factor when someone gets into your truck for the first time.

I'd also echo what others are saying about the MFT. I thought it would be gimmicky and not very useful, but I find it to be the most useful feature on the truck.
As for the rambox, I think you really need to consider how you will be using the truck. Personally, they haven't been very useful for the way I use the truck and at this point I would rather not have them. Not having them really opens your options for tonneaus, bed bars/cages, and caps/toppers.

Kidder

Reaction score
Make sure you know exactly which tank you'll be getting. The crew cabs with the etorque have a 23 gallon tank. I can tell you from experience, the 23 gallon tank is too small. My range is about 330 miles. So it seems like I'm always having to stop for gas. I thought mine had a 26 gallon tank when I bought it, which is the same size I had on my previous truck. It was quite a shock when I found out the truth. I love my 2020 Laramie, but the 23 gallon fuel tank and lack of multi-function tailgate are my two big regrets about it.
<snip>
I couldn't agree more. I also got the Prius gas tank but I thought I was getting the 26. If I buy another 1500, I will make sure I get the 35 gallon tank. I had it on my 2011 and it was great. I doubt I would get the eTorque next time. I do like the start/stop but it gets one mpg more than my 2011 and that's because of the 8-speed transmission versus the 5.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the smaller tank with the Hemi , I also had the smaller tank with the previous 2 Rams .
I have the smaller 26 gallon fuel tank and hemi combination (boo coming from a 36 gallon in a Ferd) but there’s gas stations about everywhere and my kidneys won’t allow me to wait more than 350 miles on a trip anyway...

Last edited by a moderator:

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
I agree that the air suspension and bigger tank are great features that I am glad I got with mine. I have the 12 inch screen as well, but I really feel that they are really under-utilizing it. Especially with Android Auto and Apple Carplay. I'd love to have the screen split between the AA nav and pandora. It does have a fun "wow" factor when someone gets into your truck for the first time.

I'd also echo what others are saying about the MFT. I thought it would be gimmicky and not very useful, but I find it to be the most useful feature on the truck.
As for the rambox, I think you really need to consider how you will be using the truck. Personally, they haven't been very useful for the way I use the truck and at this point I would rather not have them. Not having them really opens your options for tonneaus, bed bars/cages, and caps/toppers.

From what I've been reading the combo of MFT & Ramboxes isn't an issue for tonneau covers. It's the ones with just the MFT and not the ramboxes. I loved Retrax and had one on both my 2009 1500 Laramie and 2014 1500 Longhorn with the rambox (5'7" box on the 2009 and 6'4" box on the 2014).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread