5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally about to purchase...looking for opinions before I pull the trigger.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. I also got the Prius gas tank but I thought I was getting the 26. If I buy another 1500, I will make sure I get the 35 gallon tank. I had it on my 2011 and it was great. I doubt I would get the eTorque next time. I do like the start/stop but it gets one mpg more than my 2011 and that's because of the 8-speed transmission versus the 5.

Oddly enough if you look at the build option on Ram's site, the 26 is a no cost upgrade from the 23 and of course the 33 gal upgrade option. Interesting to see people saying the eTorque isn't delivering the supposed 2 mpg improvement over the non-etorque HEMI.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'd also echo what others are saying about the MFT. I thought it would be gimmicky and not very useful, but I find it to be the most useful feature on the truck.
As for the rambox, I think you really need to consider how you will be using the truck. Personally, they haven't been very useful for the way I use the truck and at this point I would rather not have them. Not having them really opens your options for tonneaus, bed bars/cages, and caps/toppers.
I certainly agree that the rambox isn't for everyone. For me it's much more useful than the standard truck beds I've owned. And the added benefit of having an adjustable bed divider which also converts into a bed extender just adds versatility. We also get an added 110 vac outlet in the drivers side rambox. As far as bed covers go, I had no problem finding a tonneau cover for my rambox bed. There were a lot to choose from. And unlike the regular beds, the MFT doesn't limit those choices at all. Other types of bed caps or toppers are a problem though, as you said. But since I have no interest in those it isn't a problem for me.

If you think you'll miss the little bit of bed space in front of, on top of, and behind the wheel wells then don't get the rambox option. I just think too many people don't realize just how little they will miss not having that bed space. I was one of those people until I had access to one. It totally changed my mind about that. I like being a part of a small group of people who are rambox owners. Kind of makes it an exclusive club.

Oddly enough if you look at the build option on Ram's site, the 26 is a no cost upgrade from the 23 and of course the 33 gal upgrade option. Interesting to see people saying the eTorque isn't delivering the supposed 2 mpg improvement over the non-etorque HEMI.
I don't understand why they even make a v8 equipped truck with a 23 gallon tank. The 26 gallon tank on the 4th gens was bad enough. The only thing I can guess is they were thinking the etorque would improve fuel economy enough to make up for the smaller fuel tank. I'm surprised that my mileage is as bad as it seems to be. At this point I've just resigned myself to accept the mileage for what it is and enjoy the truck. It really is a great vehicle.

Boston

Reaction score
The air suspension, 12 inch screen and bigger gas tank are the 3 best options I got on my truck. Couldn't live without them now. Oh and of course the Hemi is an absolute no brainer; proven, powerful, tons of torque.

No brainer parts to me include 6ft ? Ins bed, 33gal tank, BLIS and Trailer brake controller.

UDCentaur

Reaction score
ae213119bcdd6e400922265a1c675870.jpg

Am I missing anything for a factory order??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I certainly agree that the rambox isn't for everyone. For me it's much more useful than the standard truck beds I've owned. And the added benefit of having an adjustable bed divider which also converts into a bed extender just adds versatility. We also get an added 110 vac outlet in the drivers side rambox. As far as bed covers go, I had no problem finding a tonneau cover for my rambox bed. There were a lot to choose from. And unlike the regular beds, the MFT doesn't limit those choices at all. Other types of bed caps or toppers are a problem though, as you said. But since I have no interest in those it isn't a problem for me.

If you think you'll miss the little bit of bed space in front of, on top of, and behind the wheel wells then don't get the rambox option. I just think too many people don't realize just how little they will miss not having that bed space. I was one of those people until I had access to one. It totally changed my mind about that. I like being a part of a small group of people who are rambox owners. Kind of makes it an exclusive club.

I don't understand why they even make a v8 equipped truck with a 23 gallon tank. The 26 gallon tank on the 4th gens was bad enough. The only thing I can guess is they were thinking the etorque would improve fuel economy enough to make up for the smaller fuel tank. I'm surprised that my mileage is as bad as it seems to be. At this point I've just resigned myself to accept the mileage for what it is and enjoy the truck. It really is a great vehicle.
I have to say that the RamBox version of the bed divider is a pretty awesome piece of hardware. There is no way that thing fails under any normal load when locked into the bedside. It was one of the nice surprises about the truck.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
Are you sure you want anti-spin vs elock? If I had to do it all over I probably would have gotten the locker (and the 33 gallon...).

Why would anyone who doesn’t do serious off-roading or rock climbing want an e-locker vs. anti-spin? My understanding has always been anti-spin is always on and automatically applied whereas e-locker is only manual in this case and you have to know to turn it on before hand.

Skidowntown

Reaction score
I have the 2020 Ram Laramie crew cab 4X4 sport package with the 12" screen Panoramic sunroof 5.7 Hemi w/o e torque (gas) and I love it. Patriot pearl coat. Couldn't be happier. 20" tires

Would love this set up. Can't find it w/all of the bells and whistles. I'd like the ORP too, but maybe I just after market that. Great look. Would love to see some photos. I'm thinking of adding the Rebel wheels to either the Patriot or Steel Max.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
Would love this set up. Can't find it w/all of the bells and whistles. I'd like the ORP too, but maybe I just after market that. Great look. Would love to see some photos. I'm thinking of adding the Rebel wheels to either the Patriot or Steel Max.

This might work for you.

Skidowntown

Reaction score
Why would anyone who doesn’t do serious off-roading or rock climbing want an e-locker vs. anti-spin? My understanding has always been anti-spin is always on and automatically applied whereas e-locker is only manual in this case and you have to know to turn it on before hand.

I wouldn't be doing much Off-roading...nothing serious and assume that the regular 4x4 would do the minimum needed w/the Sport pkg. But I do like the look of the ORP...it gives it another inch to match the Rebel right? Maybe there's another way to get this w/o purchasing the package? Thx!

Skidowntown

Reaction score
What search national engine's or websites do you use to find your truck?

UDCentaur

Reaction score
I wouldn't be doing much Off-roading...nothing serious and assume that the regular 4x4 would do the minimum needed w/the Sport pkg. But I do like the look of the ORP...it gives it another inch to match the Rebel right? Maybe there's another way to get this w/o purchasing the package? Thx!

Yes ORG raises it an inch. Call me crazy but I test drove a Laramie ORG without running boards and it’s stance seemed taller. But then again it’s suppose to be due to the shocks.

My question always is - the shocks with ORP handle bumps in the road better - but the trucks without air/ORG ride smoother...so which do you prefer - stiffer but more HD shock or smoother ride?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigD

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. I also got the Prius gas tank but I thought I was getting the 26. If I buy another 1500, I will make sure I get the 35 gallon tank. I had it on my 2011 and it was great. I doubt I would get the eTorque next time. I do like the start/stop but it gets one mpg more than my 2011 and that's because of the 8-speed transmission versus the 5.
I averaged 15 mpg with my 2013 Ram with 6 speed. I average 19 mpg with my 2020 Ram with etorque hemi 8 speed. Not sure why your only getting 1 mpg better ? U drive like Mario Andretti ?

BigD

Reaction score
It has to be driving style. I average 19 mpg hemi with etorque. I've gotten as high as 23 mpg on a 70 mile trip keeping it between 55-60 mph.

BigD

Reaction score
I got 15 mpg with my 2013 Ram with 6 speed. I get 19 with my 2020 Ram hemi etorque. Not sure why u only get 1 better ? U drive like Mario Andretti?

BigD

Reaction score
My advice skip the 12 inch screen, diesel, sunroof, power steps, & air suspension. All are plagued with problems. Otherwise Ram is a descent truck. The more bells & whistles u have, the more problems your going to have. Also heard the Laramie is fake leather. Get yourself a level 2 Bighorn & you'll be happy as can be.

MF2020

Reaction score
I made the same mistake on my 2011 Ram 1500, the 23 gallon tank was not enough for me. One of my favorite options on my new limited is the 32 gallon fuel tank. But as long as we are talking about favorite options... I love the RamBoxes because they securely hold all my tools and equipment so I need no other tool boxes to take up space in the bed. It is a trade off in width but I can still fit 4' sheets of anything and the length of the bed is now totally available without the bed tool box in the way. The air suspension is another feature that I have grown to love as it is so smooth and works excellent to raise the truck just enough for mild off-road use without having to get it lifted. E-Torque was another nice surprise as I never really thought much of it until I hooked up the trailer and the vehicle took off like the trailer wasn't even there! It works great in combination with the 3.92s and now I see what the big deal is with this feature that otherwise is dormant in regular daily use. Also love the multi function tail gate and use it all the time. I added a rubber step pad to the center of the bumper so I have something to step on going in and out of the bed. I also added a deployable step under the rear drivers side potion of the tail gate so that I have a step when the tail gate is down. Finally, the 12" entertainment center console is just amazing with the split screen capability and too many other features to list here. Passengers seem to love the huge panoramic roof and the reclining rear heated and ventilated seats and a fully functional front passenger seat. All in all, this is quite a leap forward from my old Ram and any configuration of these new Rams is simply Awesome!

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I made the same mistake on my 2011 Ram 1500, the 23 gallon tank was not enough for me. One of my favorite options on my new limited is the 32 gallon fuel tank. But as long as we are talking about favorite options... I love the RamBoxes because they securely hold all my tools and equipment so I need no other tool boxes to take up space in the bed. It is a trade off in width but I can still fit 4' sheets of anything and the length of the bed is now totally available without the bed tool box in the way. The air suspension is another feature that I have grown to love as it is so smooth and works excellent to raise the truck just enough for mild off-road use without having to get it lifted. E-Torque was another nice surprise as I never really thought much of it until I hooked up the trailer and the vehicle took off like the trailer wasn't even there! It works great in combination with the 3.92s and now I see what the big deal is with this feature that otherwise is dormant in regular daily use. Also love the multi function tail gate and use it all the time. I added a rubber step pad to the center of the bumper so I have something to step on going in and out of the bed. I also added a deployable step under the rear drivers side potion of the tail gate so that I have a step when the tail gate is down. Finally, the 12" entertainment center console is just amazing with the split screen capability and too many other features to list here. Passengers seem to love the huge panoramic roof and the reclining rear heated and ventilated seats and a fully functional front passenger seat. All in all, this is quite a leap forward from my old Ram and any configuration of these new Rams is simply Awesome!
Stop writing all these positive posts and encouraging all these option-laden truck choices. Now it makes me want a 21’ with ramboxes, ORG, MFT, 33 gallon, ET and a locker, sigh... if only the lottery would pay off...

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
What search national engine's or websites do you use to find your truck?

Look at the link above in post 7011. I created a spreadsheet with the zip codes necessary to cover 99% of the continental US. Just plug those zip codes in the Ram site and do the 150mi search to find inventory. You can use Auto Trader as well for a quick view but just know there are trucks that appear on Ram's site that aren't on Auto Trader as it's all up to the dealers whether they participate in Auto Trader's search and not all do. When you find trucks on Ram's site, always check the dealer's site to ensure they are still there as the Ram site lags behind dealer inventory on their own sites.

Skidowntown

Reaction score

Look at the link above in post 7011. I created a spreadsheet with the zip codes necessary to cover 99% of the continental US. Just plug those zip codes in the Ram site and do the 150mi search to find inventory. You can use Auto Trader as well for a quick view but just know there are trucks that appear on Ram's site that aren't on Auto Trader as it's all up to the dealers whether they participate in Auto Trader's search and not all do. When you find trucks on Ram's site, always check the dealer's site to ensure they are still there as the Ram site lags behind dealer inventory on their own sites.

I started doing this yesterday....thank you!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread