5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fifth wheel towing...

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Actually the proper placement of the pin is just ahead of the axle. Puts a small amount of thethe weight on the front as well.

I think Chevy puts theirs farther back towards the rear in the new designs.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think Chevy puts theirs farther back towards the rear in the new designs.
Could be. My '05 Duramax was ahead of the axle, and I have my '19 Ram ahead of the axle. With 5th wheels having a higher pin weight compared to tow behind hitch weights ahead of the axle makes for a better weight transfer

NDanecker

Reaction score
In 35+ years of driving, have CDL A, and towed multiple bumper pulls, GN and 5th wheel trailers i state this....I would feel much safer towing a fifth or GN that is at max or even slightly over ( ~100lbs or so ) then a bumper pull that is under weight especially in adverse conditions or during tire blow out. To each there own.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In 35+ years of driving, have CDL A, and towed multiple bumper pulls, GN and 5th wheel trailers i state this....I would feel much safer towing a fifth or GN that is at max or even slightly over ( ~100lbs or so ) then a bumper pull that is under weight especially in adverse conditions or during tire blow out. To each there own.
Lot of people say I'm crazy, but my fiver pulls just fine with my 1500, and a lot more enjoyable in weather than a bumper pull. Caution and driving as far ahead as possible at a reasonable speed are my key to never having a problem.

Reaction score
I’ve had Goodyear tires on my 1995 Ford F 150 4X4 since it was new and have never had a problem with them! They are a great all-around tire and perform well in all weather and terrain. You can get better tires for mud and snow or better weight capacity but then you give up something else! With the Wrangler you get it all, decent mud, snow traction, and hauling capacity with good fuel mileage and tire life! .As long as Goodyear keeps makin’em I’ll keep buyin’em!

Users who are viewing this thread