5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

feedback on your lowering

MC6533

Reaction score
Hello all,
Just looking for some honest feedback from the people with IHC kits. (3-5 mainly) I am torn between the IHC and doing some of the new Belltech stuff. There is no feedback or input on the Belltech products yet. I understand the newness of it, I have had their products before on other trucks and been satisfied. I have seen several with the Maxtrac setup as well, I believe I want to be a little lower than it allows. I purchased this truck 2 wheel drive with intentions of lowering it. It will be a dramatic change as it is currently leveled with the Bilstein up front on 6.
Mainly wondering about ride (i understand its a lowered truck, had several of them) and ability to keep close to alignment specs.
I enjoy reading all the posts, this forum is very informative I think.
Thanks in advance and have a good day

gearhead321

Reaction score
I installed the IHC 3/5 drop kit on mine. The adjustable upper control arms allowed me to get the alignment within factory specs. The turning radius loss was very noticeable. The ride quality isn't terrible, but is bouncy. I have since swapped rear shocks for QA-1 fully adjustables. Also removed the IHC front components and installed Belltech fully adjustable coilover struts and Maxtrac camber/caster correcting upper control arms. I have 22" wheels from the factory, so the Belltech drop spindles will not work for me unless I want to buy front hubs for 20" or modify the spindles to fit my hubs.

morrisbrando

Reaction score
Great feed back! So 22 to 26 inch wheels wont work with spindles that come with New Belltech kit. So i may go with Belltech kit and Max trac adjustable control arms because i want to go 24 inch wheels, thanks

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great feed back! So 22 to 26 inch wheels wont work with spindles that come with New Belltech kit. So i may go with Belltech kit and Max trac adjustable control arms because i want to go 24 inch wheels, thanks

The Belltech spindles WILL work with 22” wheels. Now, if your Ram originally came from the factory with 22” inch wheels, the Belltech spindles will not work. This is because the hub diameter is a different size than the hub on the trucks that came with 20” wheels. If your truck came from the factory with 20” wheels or smaller, the Belltech spindles will work. Svt40 just did this install on his Ram. The spindles worked fine on his truck that came with 20” wheels and he ended up moving up to 22” wheels with no issues.

morrisbrando

Reaction score
The Belltech spindles WILL work with 22” wheels. Now, if your Ram originally came from the factory with 22” inch wheels, the Belltech spindles will not work. This is because the hub diameter is a different size than the hub on the trucks that came with 20” wheels. If your truck came from the factory with 20” wheels or smaller, the Belltech spindles will work. Svt40 just did this install on his Ram. The spindles worked fine on his truck that came with 20” wheels and he ended up moving up to 22” wheels with no issues.
Ok thanks, mine came with stock 22’s so i will go with Belltech kit with out the spindles, I think its the performance kit, I’ll post once I get it installed, thanks for your feedback 💯

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello all,
Just looking for some honest feedback from the people with IHC kits. (3-5 mainly) I am torn between the IHC and doing some of the new Belltech stuff. There is no feedback or input on the Belltech products yet. I understand the newness of it, I have had their products before on other trucks and been satisfied. I have seen several with the Maxtrac setup as well, I believe I want to be a little lower than it allows. I purchased this truck 2 wheel drive with intentions of lowering it. It will be a dramatic change as it is currently leveled with the Bilstein up front on 6.
Mainly wondering about ride (i understand its a lowered truck, had several of them) and ability to keep close to alignment specs.

I didn’t use the IHC kit, I kinda built my own using parts from multiple companies. But, I did use their (IHC) 4 link relocation brackets (cut kit). Man that’s a lot of work. Much easier I’m sure if I were to have just removed the rear axle. I’ve seen some good stuff about their kits on the web.

MC6533

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your responses. I like hearing the experiences of everyone and the different approaches they have taken,
I guess I have settled on the IHC 3/5 I fell in love with the stance of (oaviking06) truck. It is just what I had pictured. I have the Bilstein 5100 on front of my truck now so they will give me some adjustability with the lowering control arms. Ordered my bronze Hellcat replicas today to swap out my Laramie replicas when I lower it. Probably going to be a lengthy process but I'm going to get some before and after since my truck is currently leveled in front with the struts set on 6. It will be a big difference.
Once again, thanks everyone. I don't get a lot of time to get on and post but try to follow along.

oaviking06

Reaction score
I've had it dropped for over a year and still love it, people always complementing it giving thumbs up while driving. Actually just took it to IHC/JNJ Motorsports last week for maintenance. They replaced some bushings that were causing a clunking noise but everything was solid. I Basically drive it like a stock truck, it feels like a stock truck. Maybe only slow down when crossing intersections if there is a dip, but I've never had problems with the active air dam that deploys at +35mph. I do try and back into parking spots so the front doesn't drag on the curb.
thumbnail_image1.jpg

Last edited:

MC6533

Reaction score
Going to bump this thread and ask you guys that have bags in the rear, what kind are you running.
Would you recommend them and where did you purchase them? Getting ready to start my project in a few weeks and figured while I was down I might as well put bags in for added support if needed.
IHC hooked me up with good pricing and no shipping. Got my wheels and tires ready, just gotta get time to do the work!!
Thanks in advance.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Going to bump this thread and ask you guys that have bags in the rear, what kind are you running.
Would you recommend them and where did you purchase them? Getting ready to start my project in a few weeks and figured while I was down I might as well put bags in for added support if needed.
IHC hooked me up with good pricing and no shipping. Got my wheels and tires ready, just gotta get time to do the work!!
Thanks in advance.

A lot of the guys are using Airlift coil spring inserts. The bag goes inside the spring to basically stiffen the spring and keep it from compressing as much under weight. The more air you add, the stiffer the spring. My build is a little different. I used Timber Grove coil replacement bags. Springs come out, bags go in their place. I did this because I wanted to lower my truck without losing any load or towing capacity. Pretty much no matter how much weight I load or tow, the truck can be leveled with the bags. They can support up to 6K lbs. I highly recommend the Timber Grove bags. The parts are very high quality, it’s all bolt in and the customer service you’ll get from the owner Steven is unmatched.

Last edited:

MC6533

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply
Just off the phone with Steven and this is the way I am leaning on the rear. He was very accommodating and answered all of my dumb questions.
My biggest question for him was whether to run a 4 inch bag with a little less pressure, or a 6 inch bag with a little more pressure to achieve the stance I'm looking for. I want to be between that 4 -5 inch range on the rear.
My question for Rock Crawler...before you did your latest controlling and self leveling system how did you control your pressures? Did you have a smaller control system or was it manually?

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply
Just off the phone with Steven and this is the way I am leaning on the rear. He was very accommodating and answered all of my dumb questions.
My biggest question for him was whether to run a 4 inch bag with a little less pressure, or a 6 inch bag with a little more pressure to achieve the stance I'm looking for. I want to be between that 4 -5 inch range on the rear.
My question for Rock Crawler...before you did your latest controlling and self leveling system how did you control your pressures? Did you have a smaller control system or was it manually?

The 4” or 6” bag was one of my questions in the beginning. I will tell you that with the 4”, I had to cut off the bump stop plates and install some short Belltech bump stops because my axle was hitting the factory bump stops that I had already cut in half. I don’t know how a 6” bag would work on these trucks. I think the frame and axle would be very close to each other.

The self leveling system never really worked properly. Keeping the truck even, sided to side, within an inch or less has proven to be almost impossible. The valves are not that precise. On a standard height or lifted truck, you probably would never notice, but on a lowered truck it is very noticeable. I spoke with Steven on multiple occasions and he has been extremely helpful. He told me he contacted the company that makes the valves (Haldex) and they pretty much blew him off. He has since stopped doing the self leveling kits.

We also discovered that his valve brackets are made for the short bed trucks. The brackets for the short bed did not work on my 6.5 bed. I made some templates with cardboard, sent him the dimensions and he custom made some brackets for me. He is up North and he said the 6.5 beds a very scarce up there. After we figured out the bed issue he searched high and low for one at all the dealers near him so he could make some measurements and they all told him that it was a unicorn.

Initially I was airing them up manually with Schrader valves because he didn’t have any on-board air kits available. That is a PITA. I now have the complete on-board air system and he is building a kit for me that will allow me to use the on-board air system without the valve system. I’ll be able to air up each bag individually to an exact pressure to hold the height I want on each side. It’s a bummer because the auto leveling system worked well as far as auto lifting when weight was added, it just didn’t air up or down equally side to side. It would almost always be about an inch or so higher on one side.

Stevens customer service is the best, bar none. He has stepped up every time we hit a snag and made parts at no cost to get this system working for me. He is always willing to talk on the phone and answer any questions you have.

Read my build page and you can see how it all goes together.

Cserk2015

Reaction score
I've had it dropped for over a year and still love it, people always complementing it giving thumbs up while driving. Actually just took it to IHC/JNJ Motorsports last week for maintenance. They replaced some bushings that were causing a clunking noise but everything was solid. I Basically drive it like a stock truck, it feels like a stock truck. Maybe only slow down when crossing intersections if there is a dip, but I've never had problems with the active air dam that deploys at +35mph. I do try and back into parking spots so the front doesn't drag on the curb.
View attachment 155056

So you have issues with the rear squeaking like crazy? I had the kit installed and the rear end sounds like two rabbits ****ing on a old bed frame the entire time I drive it’s driving me insane I’ve had the rear end taken back apart and retorqued and still does it

Svt40

Reaction score
After almost six months with my truck lowered I've had no issues. Still rides like factory and smooooth.

The Belltech 2/4 kit was a PITA to install but other than that no issues.

Have yet to install the pump for the air bags. I have one motorcycle to get running and another one to sell before I do that.

Last edited:

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
After almost months with my truck lowered I've had no issues. Still rides like factory and smooooth.

The Belltech kit was a PITA to install but other than that no issues.

Have yet to install the pump for the air bags.
Good to hear. I'm about to get the BellTech kit. I read and made notes of your install, so I'm prepared.

Cserk2015

Reaction score
After almost six months with my truck lowered I've had no issues. Still rides like factory and smooooth.

The Belltech 2/4 kit was a PITA to install but other than that no issues.

Have yet to install the pump for the air bags. I have one motorcycle to get running and another one to sell before I do that.
Turns out just needed to grease the sway bar links 🤦🏼‍♂️

MC6533

Reaction score
Hello all,
Going to bump this and hopefully be able to attach my pictures along with my experience with the IHC drop.
Truck before it went into the garage had Bilstein on 6 with OE replicas (22x10) 285-45-22

1688261817653.png
1688261892889.png

IHC instructions are very specific and easy to understand. I made sure to follow very closely. I had a few hiccups which were really not a fault of theirs.
Front went fairly normal, do take note if you work with this kit to loosen the front sway bar completely it was causing some binding when I was going back together.
That's when the fun started. Both sets of wheels I have are the same dimensions. 22x10 (+25) As I found out later the stock dimensions are 22x9 (somewhere around +19) I believe
That extra inch being to the inside caused a little grief. I attached some pictures below.

1688263303338.png
1688263382466.png

After consulting with IHC and explaining the modification I wanted to make, they said there should be no issues. I know most people would say "just put on a spacer"
I have been in the wheel and tire business for 20 years I will do anything in my book to keep from using spacers. Not throwing off on those that use them, I'm just not a fan.
(Everyone has an opinion)

I did everything at home in my garage so no lift here. I was able to get the rear high enough to drop the rear end out onto jack stands and do the cutting. It is a little pain because some of the require cuts are in tight spaces, but nothing overwhelming. Little tip here, I took spare down and removed all plastic inner liners. Made moving around and accessing everything a little easier.

1688264336206.png

Rear end cuts finished and brackets going back on.

1688264595930.png

It was a very dramatic difference when completed, but exactly what I was looking for. The ride is very close to stock. It is a little bouncy from the rear but I can deal with that.
After the trip to the alignment shop was my major gripe, I followed the instructions to the T and moved the upper control arms out 3/8 of an inch as instructed. This left me with too much positive camber to be adjusted out. It can be resolved, but I have to go back in and move the uppers in. Guess they thought I needed the practice!!
Finished product is below with the Bronze Hellcat wheels for a while. Sorry for the picture quality, my cell phone has a bad lens.
Have a great day!!

1688265547655.png
1688265626540.png

oaviking06

Reaction score
Looks Great!!! That bouncy feeling went away on mine after a little bit. I only felt it at first while the springs settled I guess. Ive had my kit installed 1.5yrs... If you look at the Instructions from IHC.. Its actually my truck they used to make the instructions with haha. I went down to McAllen and had them install the kit for me.

Svt40

Reaction score
I love the bronze Hellcat wheels. But I getting concerned that too many people are buying them now and my truck will no longer be different.

But I've been saying that bronze is the new black.
I ran over a piece of sheet metal int he road (curtain rod?) and it bent up like a horsehoe and gouged one of the spokes in my new wheels! Finding a color match to these wheels is damn near impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread