5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FCA's 5th Gen 1500 AC Design Flaw - Could purchasing a '19-2500 or '20 1500 be a workaround?

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So do the hack guys, its pretty well proven. Then when the TSB comes out, go back to stock and let FCA fix it.

Doing the hack instead of taking the truck into the dealership with concerns will do absolutely nothing to help FCA understand that even it there isn't a technical problem, there is a consumer demand for better performing A/C. Keeping it to ourselves isn't going to spread the awareness at all.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Doing the hack instead of taking the truck into the dealership with concerns will do absolutely nothing to help FCA understand that even it there isn't a technical problem, there is a consumer demand for better performing A/C. Keeping it to ourselves isn't going to spread the awareness at all.
So do both, document the issue, accept their “its within parameters” and then take care of business, if it bothers you. Not much more can be done, any RAM Cares reader can tell there is an issue.

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
My a/c seems fine. I've dealt with a/c before when I was an automotive tech and find no real complaints in my rebel. It works just as well as my 2011 f150 and I did some a/c work to that truck shortly after buying it.
Mine works great. Just a little warm before taking off, just like every vehicle I have ever had.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So do both, document the issue, accept their “its within parameters” and then take care of business, if it bothers you. Not much more can be done, any RAM Cares reader can tell there is an issue.

Yeah, I was just saying that if you don't tell someone about the issue, you can't expect them to fix it for you. The more this "fix" spreads and people just blindly do it, the less and less it's going to show up on FCA's radar. That's all I'm trying to say.

Ram-bunctious

Reaction score
I just picked up my Ram last week, I live very close to my dealership, So I returned and asked the service manager about the AC. I told him I had a 2007 Ram that would freeze you out on the lowest fan speed. I have to have this new truck on Max to really cool it off. He said it was because of the new Freon that was being used doesn't work as well.... My reply was "that sucks"!!!

tdager

Reaction score
Mine works great. Just a little warm before taking off, just like every vehicle I have ever had.

Same. The challenge with calling this a "design flaw" is what is the "flaw"? Some, like myself, find it works great. Is it warm at startup on a hot day? Sure! Does it take a minute to get the whole cab cool, yup it is a large volume of air with mediocre (at best) insulation. However if I have the vents blowing on me directly it freezes my ***, so I do not do that.

One persons comfort is different than someone else's, does not mean it is a "flaw". Hell are there even standards of what a base AC acceptable level is? How long to cool to 72 degrees of a certain volume of air? Does color affect it?

It was 92 in Cinci today and after 5-7 minutes the cabin of my Granite colored truck was quite comfortable. No flaw for me. *shrug*

KcRay

Reaction score
Same. The challenge with calling this a "design flaw" is what is the "flaw"? Some, like myself, find it works great. Is it warm at startup on a hot day? Sure! Does it take a minute to get the whole cab cool, yup it is a large volume of air with mediocre (at best) insulation. However if I have the vents blowing on me directly it freezes my ***, so I do not do that.

One persons comfort is different than someone else's, does not mean it is a "flaw". Hell are there even standards of what a base AC acceptable level is? How long to cool to 72 degrees of a certain volume of air? Does color affect it?

It was 92 in Cinci today and after 5-7 minutes the cabin of my Granite colored truck was quite comfortable. No flaw for me. *shrug*
8-10 degrees difference from drivers side vents to passenger side vents, what would you call that? I'm willing to bet you a coca cola, that yours (if checked by a thermometer)is the same. It may be acceptable to some, but is it not a "flaw"?

tdager

Reaction score
8-10 degrees difference from drivers side vents to passenger side vents, what would you call that? I'm willing to bet you a coca cola, that yours (if checked by a thermometer)is the same. It may be acceptable to some, but is it not a "flaw"?

Sincerely, I do not know simply because I am not an auto interior designer/AC expert. Could it be a flaw? YES! Is it a flaw? Do not know...that is all I am saying. Without a standard to go by, our anecdotal "gut feel" that is should be the same is no more right than someone else say it is fine with the differential.

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
8-10 degrees difference from drivers side vents to passenger side vents, what would you call that?

That sounds ridiculous, and should be fixable...unless it is something simple like the sun shining in the windows on one side (or door is open/window down) causing that side to be warmer...causing the system to compensate by cooling that side more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online