5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FCA's 5th Gen 1500 AC Design Flaw - Could purchasing a '19-2500 or '20 1500 be a workaround?

JB2

Reaction score
The well-known (thx to 5thGen Forum Members) 1500 AC issue caused by FCA's AC design flaw has given me pause for upwards of 6-months at this point on moving forward with a 2019 1500 purchase. I had expected a real solution via recall to be offered by now, but that doesn't appear to be coming anytime soon. While some are lucky enough to be unaffected, I'd rather just avoid risk of the issue all together by adjusting my purchase decision. With that as context:
a) Anyone know if the AC performance/system design in the new 2019 6.4l 2500's is similarly problematic to the 2019 1500's?
b) Any chance the 2020 1500's will quietly add back in heater core valves to solve the blend door problem?

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
The well-known (thx to 5thGen Forum Members) 1500 AC issue caused by FCA's AC design flaw has given me pause for upwards of 6-months at this point on moving forward with a 2019 1500 purchase. I had expected a real solution via recall to be offered by now, but that doesn't appear to be coming anytime soon. While some are lucky enough to be unaffected, I'd rather just avoid risk of the issue all together by adjusting my purchase decision. With that as context:
a) Anyone know if the AC performance/system design in the new 2019 6.4l 2500's is similarly problematic to the 2019 1500's?
b) Any chance the 2020 1500's will quietly add back in heater core valves to solve the blend door problem?
The problem is not in every truck. I'm in Texas and have not noticed an issue.

I have no idea how common the issue might be.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score

There are other reports of 2500 trucks affected. Please understand this is considered acceptable to have 10 degree vent temp difference, and the people saying it is cold for them or "freezes" them out are experiencing the same difference although they don't see it as an issue. Go to a dealer if you haven't already and test drive some trucks that have been out in the 95 degree full sun and you make the decision whether it's an issue, not what you read here. For the record I have already publicly stated the A/C is sub par compared to other vehicles.

As far as question B, I don't think anyone here has any insight into RAM engineering. Please consider RAM HAS YET TO ACKNOWLEDGE THERE IS AN ISSUE BECAUSE IT MEETS PRINTED SPECIFICATIONS. People can't seem to come to grips with this.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are other reports of 2500 trucks affected. Please understand this is considered acceptable to have 10 degree vent temp difference, and the people saying it is cold for them or "freezes" them out are experiencing the same difference although they don't see it as an issue. Go to a dealer if you haven't already and test drive some trucks that have been out in the 95 degree full sun and you make the decision whether it's an issue, not what you read here. For the record I have already publicly stated the A/C is sub par compared to other vehicles.

As far as question B, I don't think anyone here has any insight into RAM engineering. Please consider RAM HAS YET TO ACKNOWLEDGE THERE IS AN ISSUE BECAUSE IT MEETS PRINTED SPECIFICATIONS. People can't seem to come to grips with this.

Anecdotally speaking, for the first time I was using A/C on a 90ish degree day and was very underwhelmed.
It didn't seem to want to get any colder after a certain point, which was warmer than any other vehicle I've hard.

For the most part I love the truck, a lot of things don't bug me (MPG being lower than advertised), but while I could live with this A/C?
I would verymuch prefer they fixed it.

dsn112

Reaction score
I don’t agree that every truck isn’t affected. The design is flawed, and all trucks are the same. Whether you’re affected or not depends on your body and what feels cool enough to you. My wife thinks the AC is completely fine, yet leaves it on LO the entire time she’s driving to stay cool. Yet in her Infiniti, she had to turn the temp up to 70 after a short drive because it gets too cold in her SUV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
I don’t agree that every truck isn’t affected. The design is flawed, and all trucks are the same. Whether you’re affected or not depends on your body and what feels cool enough to you. My wife thinks the AC is completely fine, yet leaves it on LO the entire time she’s driving to stay cool. Yet in her Infiniti, she had to turn the temp up to 70 after a short drive because it gets too cold in her SUV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did someone try to claim that no trucks are affected? The posts on here prove that wrong...however, not every truck is part of this. My truck has not showed any sign of having this issue...and I am one of those people that starts sweating when the temps get above 70°...

JB2

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Summarizing my takeaways:
1) it does not sound like the new generation of 2500's are safe from FCA's 5th Gen 1500 AC system design decisions.
2) unless FCA acknowledges a design issues with 5th gen 1500 AC performance, they are unlikely to meaningfully modify the AC/blend door/heater core valve design for 2020 (or any future year).

Ultimately, I agree with what I've read from many others... it's a shame that AC performance is even a relevant topic for vehicles in this price range. Do I roll the dice? I need to figure that out. Part of me was hoping the 2019 Power Wagon was the answer to avoiding the issue:)

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They're not going to issue s recall for air conditioning. Recalls are for safety related defects. However, hopefully, at some point, they admit that there's something wrong, fix it, and issue a service bulletin.

Reaction score
Dang. I sure hate to hear this about the AC. I was ready to pull the trigger but I stay hot. My F150 Lariate will freeze u out and I LOVE IT!!! Decisions Decisions.
I can’t stand the Summer Heat in AR. It’s horrible and a GREAT AC is a must for me.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dang. I sure hate to hear this about the AC. I was ready to pull the trigger but I stay hot. My F150 Lariate will freeze u out and I LOVE IT!!! Decisions Decisions.
I can’t stand the Summer Heat in AR. It’s horrible and a GREAT AC is a must for me.
Well, it aint grwat in the new RAM! That's for sure...barely adequate at best.

josh_4184

Reaction score
I would like to know as well just bought a 19 Laramie Black and have same issue, my old 2015 Ram Sport would freeze you out of the cab, the new 19 Ram is horrible.

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
I don't have a thermometer for hard numbers, but is this what everyone is griping about?

I remote start it, when I get to it and get in it is blowing warm air (75°-80°)...as soon as I put it in gear and start driving, it drops to a frigid temp...I don't believe I have had a vehicle that performed any differently (maybe not as warm at startup idle).

It just so happened that I had a 5 mile trip on the highway, but the temp in the truck was almost to the point to where the climate system kicks down the fan speed...set on 70°

Gsmith223

Reaction score
As it starts to warm up I am noticing that my AC is not cooling very well. This seems vindictive of the blend/recirc door issues dodge has had for years.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have a thermometer for hard numbers, but is this what everyone is griping about?

I remote start it, when I get to it and get in it is blowing warm air (75°-80°)...as soon as I put it in gear and start driving, it drops to a frigid temp...I don't believe I have had a vehicle that performed any differently (maybe not as warm at startup idle).

It just so happened that I had a 5 mile trip on the highway, but the temp in the truck was almost to the point to where the climate system kicks down the fan speed...set on 70°

I've had similar experiences as you described, so the other night I tried an experiment. It was 85° outside and I took a ride to the store with the AC off and the windows down. Before I went inside, I cranked the AC to MAX/ RECIRCULATE, fan speed all the way up. I shut the truck off and then remote started it. I went inside the store for less than 10 mins, and when I came out, it was freezing inside my truck. I did not have a thermometer, so I don't know what the vent temps were, but I don't think it works right for remote start unless you have the AC on max when you shut the truck off. May just be a coincidence, I don't know.

acat

Reaction score
if its a design flaw, should we waiting for a official solution?

YawnY

Reaction score
My a/c seems fine. I've dealt with a/c before when I was an automotive tech and find no real complaints in my rebel. It works just as well as my 2011 f150 and I did some a/c work to that truck shortly after buying it.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So do the hack guys, its pretty well proven. Then when the TSB comes out, go back to stock and let FCA fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread