5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FCA Reveals Uconnect 5th Gen

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
This better be a heck of a lot better than the current system.
Also, no mention of wireless CarPlay... It better have it if it wants to compet with Ford, as Sync 4 will have this built in.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Aha!
More info.
Based on android, so it should help with more frequent OTA software updates.
Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto confirmed, as well as maps with real-time navigation from TomTom.

Last edited:

Txmade

Reaction score
That won’t come to our current trucks, it has different hardware.

Neokane

Reaction score
Pretty spectacular.. I am sure they wont worry about updating the previous versions of uconnect..
This is the 4th quarter update we were promised!

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What a great update to see, sucks that it won’t make it to the early 5th gens.

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
I'm thinking they won't push it down to any of the 4th gen products, but I'm wondering if any of the features might make it into the development cycle for the 4th gen products. I guess that really depends on if the 5th gen software was built off of the 4th gen software. Just a thought, all the same.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I'm thinking they won't push it down to any of the 4th gen products, but I'm wondering if any of the features might make it into the development cycle for the 4th gen products. I guess that really depends on if the 5th gen software was built off of the 4th gen software. Just a thought, all the same.
Hopefully. At least fix some of the speakerphone and blue screen issues some members are experiencing. Not asking for much.
It would be great if they added full screen camera view, updated maps, etc.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Entirely new hardware and software. Unless they make it fully modular and backwards compatible, I doubt it'll be compatible with any 4th gen Rams and it also likely won't be compatible with our current trucks.

Some more in depth info from The Verge: https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/27/...exa-android-ota-updates-carplay-wireless-jeep
100% correct.
Just hoping they don't siphon all their dev resources to the new platform and leave the 4th gen to wither on the vine.
There are still quite a few bugs that need fixing on the current system. Not holding my breath though.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Hey @RamCares How about if FCA actually got the current uConnect system working correctly and as promised? You know...the system we paid for already?

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
What a great update to see, sucks that it won’t make it to the early 5th gens.
What's great about it?

If it follows FCA's track record, it won't work for crap and will just pi$$ people off more.

Danny_TheHouseCook

Reaction score
Called FCA customer service to see if the 5th Gen Uconnect will be added to my truck (they haven't started building it yet). They said they emailed the "line manger" and will let me know the response when they receive it.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Called FCA customer service to see if the 5th Gen Uconnect will be added to my truck (they haven't started building it yet). They said they emailed the "line manger" and will let me know the response when they receive it.
Seriously doubt it. The Verge article mentions availability by the end of the year.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
What's great about it?

If it follows FCA's track record, it won't work for crap and will just pi$$ people off more.
Given that the U5 infotainment system is running on Android, it *should* be more reliable than whatever inhouse/custom OS FCA is currently using.

Users who are viewing this thread