5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FAQ: ECO light

dswoboda2120

Reaction score
This FAQ addresses the issues on the forum concerning the ECO light.

What is the ECO light?
The general consensus on the forums is that the ECO light only indicates when your engine is running in Multi-Displacement System (MDS) mode, and the status of this light doesn't affect the engagement of the MDS mode.

Where is the ECO light?
It is located on the upper left of the dash instrument cluster. Lights up ECO in green.

How do I turn the ECO light on/off in the settings?
This is done through the Uconnect system. Go to settings, then look under display. The option is called Fuel Saver Display in Cluster. Check the box to have the ECO light display in the cluster when in Fuel Saver mode.

Fuel Saver Display in Cluster is checked, I still don't see my ECO light.
The forum, at the time of writing this FAQ, doesn't have a definite answer to this. Some say there is a break in period and you will not see it for a few thousand miles. Others say they see the light right from the start of ownership. The majority seem to believe it is based off your personal driving style and conditions such as towing, hauling, hills, etc.

grinch72

Reaction score
This FAQ addresses the issues on the forum concerning the ECO light.

What is the ECO light?
The general consensus on the forums is that the ECO light only indicates when your engine is running in Multi-Displacement System (MDS) mode, and the status of this light doesn't affect the engagement of the MDS mode.

Interesting consensus. The FAQ for most tuners indicate that the ECO light is NOT associated with the MDS kicking on although I would tend to agree with the forum consensus and think that it is. Has anyone gotten any kind of confirmation either way from FCA?

Jello0123

Reaction score
I have the eTorque and have been seeing it since day 1. It will come on even in acceleration (light acceleration) and when coasting. I haven't seen it much on the highway, maybe up to 65mph. I would assume it is on when the MDS is activated as I feel a drag when it is on and a pitch change. Same thing happened on my old Silverado with Active Fuel Management. Very similar experience.

Raydar

Reaction score
I have under five hundred miles on my truck, and since I enabled the indicator, it comes on regularly - usually during a steady state cruise, or coasting.
Sometimes I can hear the change in exhaust note, too.

wwalljr

Reaction score
I have under five hundred miles on my truck, and since I enabled the indicator, it comes on regularly - usually during a steady state cruise, or coasting.
Sometimes I can hear the change in exhaust note, too.
^^^Same here. Been seeing it since purchase.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting consensus. The FAQ for most tuners indicate that the ECO light is NOT associated with the MDS kicking on although I would tend to agree with the forum consensus and think that it is. Has anyone gotten any kind of confirmation either way from FCA?
No confirmation, but I've seen the light every day in my first 7,000 miles, and it has never come on separately from MDS.

timtlu

Reaction score
Mine was off from dealership, but once turned on, I have regularly seen it kick in and out for the last few days.

Users who are viewing this thread