5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

False forward collision warning in heavy rain

barakutha

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced the FCW display and sound alert go off intermittently while driving in heavy rain? I have auto-braking enabled, but the truck never brakes, just gives the warning for a second or so, even with no other cars on the road.

Pretty concerning not knowing if your truck is about to slam on the brakes like it does randomly while reversing in to your driveway.

Anyone experience this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grnhrnt806

Reaction score
I have had the warning while driving over a bridge. When I would be coming up to the metal contraction points. This is not a little bridge but a big one crossing the Delaware river from Pa to New Jersey. No breaking just warning buzzer and red brake flashing. I have not driven her in heavy rain yet.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced the FCW display and sound alert go off intermittently while driving in heavy rain? I have auto-braking enabled, but the truck never brakes, just gives the warning for a second or so, even with no other cars on the road.

Pretty concerning not knowing if your truck is about to slam on the brakes like it does randomly while reversing in to your driveway.

Anyone experience this?

I have but to be fair it was raining sideways and ~60% of the cars on the road had pulled over. It just flashed up a few times as it "saw" something solid in front of me. With how hard it was raining, it almost was solid for a brief second.

The only time it has braked on me was when I was driving in a very spirited manner and attempting to turn right at a higher speed around a wider turn. I did this many times in the Benz but the Ram saw the line of stopped cars waiting to turn left onto the road I was turning off of and decided that it didn't want to plow into that "wall." Quite alarming but now that I know how it works better I'll either disable it when I'm having fun, or more probably, just keep a light foot on the brake so the computer has a little more faith in me.

Axedawg

Reaction score
Rain and ice can cause the sensors to spaz out on occasion.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This past winter I had the FCW go off in a snow storm, but got a "sensors are blocked" message in the cluster display.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 020818 miles.

Twoamen

Reaction score
Shadows, and pavement change from light to real dark (new asphalt) will trigger once and awhile. I shut my rear brake assist because of locking up on shadows, change in pavement color, etc. Just use the rear camera view

RVAH-13

Reaction score

Anyone experience this?

I did on my 2014 Long Horn, in heavy rain or snow build up. I haven't had my 2019 in the rain yet.

GerryS

Reaction score

Anyone experience this?

Mine did that this morning. Rain was very heavy and I got the warning beeps and the big BRAKE! on the display. Mine was set to medium with braking enabled. It never hit the brakes though. I wonder if changing from medium to another setting may help?

Danek

Reaction score
rainy or snowy weather will affect the operation of the system. Make sure not to confuse the Forward Collision Warning system with the Cross Path or Park assist functions. My FCW doesn't do a thing... on any setting. I have attempted several "tests" but to no avail. My FCW does NOTHING, kind of like the two dealerships I have gone to..... One tried to tell me it works fine but he was activating the Forward Park Assist. Didn't beleive me and I had to show him by toggling the FPA off and proving to him that is what he was activating. Then he did a test on the road and confirmed the FCW was doing nothing, it was on but absolutely no response on any parameter. My ACC, FPA, RPA and CPD work flawlessly.... really odd my FCW is inop. I am very disappointed and frustrated with this issue and hope FCA will be able to provide a path forward. It is after all, an option I paid for and I really would like for it to work. The tech where I purchased the truck said he would get with FAC Tech immediately to find out what is going on, no error codes or TSB's so he had nothing to offer. Been two weeks and all I have heard is "crickets". So much for service after the sale!

Grnhrnt806

Reaction score
I have only had the FCW go off and apply the brakes once. I was driving 45 and a car had stopped a ways in front of me to make a left hand turn. I was planning on going around him on the shoulder but the FCW thought I was too close and started to break for me. Only time it has actually done that. I don't know how you could replicate it that easily.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
This has never happened to me, and I’ve been an a couple very heavy rains driving in Florida.
What I really like is that the radar sensor is up on the windshield instead of the grille like most vehicles.

My Mercedes had it on the star emblem, and on heavy rain, it would get disabled (happened to me several times in inclement weather) whereas the RAM is not affected.

reb0957

Reaction score
Well crap, it appears they hadn't made them better since my MY 2016. I hated this alarm in the rain.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Well crap, it appears they hadn't made them better since my MY 2016. I hated this alarm in the rain.
No, it doesn't appear that way at all.
This could ge a faulty or over sensitive sensor, not a widespread problem. If it was, it would be all over this site, and we have thousands of members...

Cheers,

Wgm6689

Reaction score
Mine has done this a few times in the last couple weeks. Mine actually gave the alarm a few times and then slammed on the brakes as I was going about 70 mph down I-75. Then it did it when going through downtown streets. Just about caused a loss of control on the highway. It is currently at the dealer being looked at for this and several other issues, adding to an already long list of things that have been wrong with this truck. Does anyone think I should try to escalate this up with Ram as a safety concern?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine has done this a few times in the last couple weeks. Mine actually gave the alarm a few times and then slammed on the brakes as I was going about 70 mph down I-75. Then it did it when going through downtown streets. Just about caused a loss of control on the highway. It is currently at the dealer being looked at for this and several other issues, adding to an already long list of things that have been wrong with this truck. Does anyone think I should try to escalate this up with Ram as a safety concern?

I am deeply sorry for the trouble, @Wgm6689. Please do not hesitate to follow up with our customer care team for further support as you work with your dealer. You may call in at 866-726-4636 or submit your info here to receive an email follow up. https://bit.ly/3fy5Kfo.

Mark
RamCares

smashweights

Reaction score
This has happened to me twice, most recently today. Except mine did engage emergency braking on the road for a split second about 8 times...

Nels

Reaction score
This past winter I had the FCW go off in a snow storm, but got a "sensors are blocked" message in the cluster display.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 020818 miles.
I've not seen a "sensors blocked" warning. I've actually had a couple of times when snow covered the rear sensors and the rear collision warning would apply the brakes when I tried to back up. Had to wipe off the sensors before i could back out of a parking stall.

Crazy Dane

Reaction score
I didn't know that I needed to report here that I turned mine off because of all the false activations. :oops::rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, with all the overhanging trees here I couldn't make it a mile without an activation. Good idea, bad execution.

Ducky5

Reaction score
My forward parking assist has gone off in traffic because a semi truck's air blew off in front of me.

Users who are viewing this thread