5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Falken Rubitrek FTW!

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is the tread depth - .200", technically 29,300 miles.
depth.jpg
Better close up of the block connectors.
bars.jpg

I would not normally buy a truck tire with block connectors in Michigan. Heavier rain Wednesday and slush this past (2nd) winter reaffirms my preferences. I also will upgrade load range to help stiffen the Rams rubber bushed 5 link suspension when towing campers.

That said, congrats on getting an OE fitment! Quiet and generally high traction when new, the tire is excellent everywhere else for what it is, including mud, sand, and snow, although I could wish for a little longer life. Just wet pavement is typical of an unloaded truck. Interesting that the back end floated in a splashed out 3/4" deep, surprise puddle after following the fronts tracks (.250" tread depth) through the water, which didn't seem to hydroplane at all.

While not DOT legal on light duty trucks, I have good experience grooving and siping tires. Shhh, no one will know, it's just for this summer, then new for the winter.

E.Hands

Reaction score
Mileage drop much with these?
Not at all.
The move to a one inch taller tire will slightly "slow down" the speedometer and the odometer by a small percentage.
So if you do not recalibrate it my appear that you lose 0.75 MPG.
But that's because you are actually traveling more miles than what the truck is registering.

Last edited:

E.Hands

Reaction score
Lately I have been eyeing the Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 as it may offer class leading road comfort and quietness.
But in the appearance department... the Rubitrek is a much better looking tire on the truck!

Falken Rubitrek weigh 46 Lbs & cost $237 / tire.
Defender LTX M/S2 weigh 39 Lbs & cost $304 / tire.

So do I spend $268 more and save 28 pounds of unsprung weight?

Last edited:

E.Hands

Reaction score
If you changed to taller tires but did NOT correct the calibration of your speedometer, then consider this:

If larger tires slowed down your speedometer then it also slowed down you odometer by the same percentage.
If 70 MPH on the speedo is really 75 MPH on the road then you have gone more than 1 mile when the odometer registers 1 mile.
You are going more miles every tank of fuel than what you are showing on the dash.

Therefore your calculated mileage, be it on the dash or hand calculated, is now showing less than the true MPG that you are achieving.

Consider this: We all agree that 3.21 gears will get better mileage on the highway than 3.92, right?
Well a taller tire just slightly raises (numerically lowers) your gearing. You crankshaft turns less RPMs for every mile.

Rightside

Reaction score
I had a vibration…Took back and tire shop didn’t like how one of the tires balanced upon checking it, so it’s being replaced. It happens. Crazy how quiet these tires are.

Users who are viewing this thread