5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Falken AT3W LT 275/60 r20 mpg decrease

MaineRam19

Reaction score
I just installed Falken 275 / 60 R AT3W on my I 2019 Limited (3.21 etorque) and I have seen a substantial decrease in gas mileage going from 21 to 17.5 mpg on the highway traveling at 68-69 via GPS not my speedometer. Speedo is off by approx 1 mph. I am trying to determine if this decrease in mpg more of a result of the increase tire size going from a 31.9 inch tire to a 33 inch tire or a result of the increased tire weight, approximately 41 pounds stock to 58 pounds in the Falken. Thoughts?

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Both …. Could have gone P instead of LT in that size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everything you posted would cause this to happen. Takes more muscle to move more weight and keep it in motion.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try adjusting your speedometer and let your truck get use to them. I think once you do that you will be able to tell how bad it actually is.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Your speedometer error depends on the speed you are traveling. At 30 mph you're actually going 31 mph. But when your speedo reads 60 you're actually going 62.1 mph. Larger tires require fewer revolutions per mile (obviously). Your new tires turn 20 revolutions per mile less than stock, or about 3% fewer. This will definitely affect the perceived fuel economy in a negative way. Add to that the heavier tires, and possibly slightly higher stance. I think you'll find that your fuel economy isn't is bad as you think if you correct your speedometer/odometer error. But the heavier tires are probably the biggest factor in your decreased fuel economy. 0000001.JPG

MaineRam19

Reaction score
Try adjusting your speedometer and let your truck get use to them. I think once you do that you will be able to tell how bad it actually is.
I just performed a fill up and the calculated mpg is 18.1 not taking into account that my trip odometer is not a bit off. Is anybody running the P/standard load Falkens 275/60r20 and can provide some examples of MPG’s?
Also, I had an alignment performed when they install the tires and I noticed the truck seems wants to wander in the lane more than stock. My Lane keep assist does not like this even with setterings turned down. Running 52 psi as Falken technician recommended.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I feel like your PSI is a little high but that’s just my thought. I don’t think you need that much unless you are carry weight in your bed. When I changed out my tires to 275/60’s but only weighs 43 pounds my MPG’s were reading around 16-17 as well. Once I changed my speedometer and got use to the tires I got back up to the 20’s again. Not always that high but better then the 16-17 I was seeing.

MaineRam19

Reaction score
I feel like your PSI is a little high but that’s just my thought. I don’t think you need that much unless you are carry weight in your bed. When I changed out my tires to 275/60’s but only weighs 43 pounds my MPG’s were reading around 16-17 as well. Once I changed my speedometer and got use to the tires I got back up to the 20’s again. Not always that high but better then the 16-17 I was seeing.
Thank you. What did you use to change your speedometer? Does this void the manufacturer warranty?

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You'll gain back about 1 mpg once you program your speedometer, but the biggest hit to your mpg's is the weight of those tires. The last time I bought LT tires, I lost about 3 mpg and the tires were the same size as stock. The tires I bought for my 2021 Laramie are 33's, but they are XL's and only weigh 49lbs which is about 3lbs heavier than the stock tires.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If they’re LTs, that’s not super high. I used to run around at 55 unloaded on E-rated tires (80 psi rear if pulling heavy).

But I’ve not run D-rated tires, so I’m curious as to whether they feel the same.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Another factor is the knobby tread pattern that increases rolling resitance

Falken QA

Reaction score
I just performed a fill up and the calculated mpg is 18.1 not taking into account that my trip odometer is not a bit off. Is anybody running the P/standard load Falkens 275/60r20 and can provide some examples of MPG’s?
Also, I had an alignment performed when they install the tires and I noticed the truck seems wants to wander in the lane more than stock. My Lane keep assist does not like this even with setterings turned down. Running 52 psi as Falken technician recommended.

What was the factory tire size and tire pressure? I'll double check this adjusted air pressure as techs will provided a air pressure to match the same load capacity of the factory tires.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, OP, I went from factory Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws at 275/55r20 and loved them, but increased to an AT3W in 275/65r20.

32 inch stock to 34 inch.

My mileage (ecodiesel) took a bigger hit: 28 to 23. (Highway, easy throttle.) I expected some drop, but not this big. Live and learn...

MaineRam19

Reaction score
What was the factory tire size and tire pressure? I'll double check this adjusted air pressure as techs will provided a air pressure to match the same load capacity of the factory tires.
275/55r20 - 36psi is factory

Falken QA

Reaction score
275/55r20 - 36psi is factory
looks like Ram equipped the 1500s with a 275/55R20 113 LR tire (different from a P275/55R20. As such, at 36 PSI supports 2535 lbs per tire. By moving into a LT275/60R20 (D range) tire, the light truck inflation chart would match that load capacity per tire at 52 PSI. The air pressure is adjusted only to match

The wandering can be due to the higher tread depth of the new tire (along with extra inch increase in OD), compared to the shorter tread depth of the non LT 275/55. Of course, if this does not sit well with you, the AT3w you have does have a 30 day/1000 mile trial period on it, so there is no obligation to stay with the tire. Simply return back to your seller to exercise this.

MaineRam19

Reaction score
looks like Ram equipped the 1500s with a 275/55R20 113 LR tire (different from a P275/55R20. As such, at 36 PSI supports 2535 lbs per tire. By moving into a LT275/60R20 (D range) tire, the light truck inflation chart would match that load capacity per tire at 52 PSI. The air pressure is adjusted only to match

The wandering can be due to the higher tread depth of the new tire (along with extra inch increase in OD), compared to the shorter tread depth of the non LT 275/55. Of course, if this does not sit well with you, the AT3w you have does have a 30 day/1000 mile trial period on it, so there is no obligation to stay with the tire. Simply return back to your seller to exercise this.
Thank you for this information.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
As mentioned, everything you stated has played a role, but the biggest is the diameter of the tire and the type of tire it is. Larger tire and higher rolling resistance of the tread will both play a big roll in your lower mpg.

1/2 " increase usually results in a 1-2 mpg loss. So going a full 1" in diameter and losing 3.5 mpg is about right.

Users who are viewing this thread