5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory power steps making clicking sound when deploying

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
Hello all. So up until a few weeks ago my power steps made a whining, kind of servo sounding whine, when they deployed and retracted which I thought was normal as it is after all a motor driving them. But first the driver side and now also the passenger side now make a rather noisy clicking sound when they deploy. It is more noticeable first deploy in the morning I think. It is not the hinges as I have lubricated those with stanchion suspension spray and it makes no difference. I think it is the motors doing this.

Has anyone else experienced this and what did you do to fix it? Or is this a dealer visit, which unfortunately is a dreaded experience when it shouldn't be. TIA!!

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello all. So up until a few weeks ago my power steps made a whining, kind of servo sounding whine, when they deployed and retracted which I thought was normal as it is after all a motor driving them. But first the driver side and now also the passenger side now make a rather noisy clicking sound when they deploy. It is more noticeable first deploy in the morning I think. It is not the hinges as I have lubricated those with stanchion suspension spray and it makes no difference. I think it is the motors doing this.

Has anyone else experienced this and what did you do to fix it? Or is this a dealer visit, which unfortunately is a dreaded experience when it shouldn't be. TIA!!

Hi @FastBlackRam - If you do have to work with your dealer, please be sure to follow up with us! I would be happy to get you connected with a case manager so that the experience is as smooth as possible.

Mark
RamCares

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
I am surprised no forum members have commented on this, maybe it just got lost in the shuffle? Bump.

As a side note, the clicking seems to have stopped or is much less noticeable this week. I don't like intermittent problems.

Havana Joe

Reaction score
My passenger side power step has been doing this for about two months.

I need to take it in to get looked at.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score

Thanks for replying. I am glad to hear someone else has this issue altho at the same time, I am not glad to hear someone else has this issue!

RamCares

Reaction score

Please do not hesitate to follow up with us via PM if you are in need of any additional support when you have a chance to address this with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

Havana Joe

Reaction score
Not to hijack but i also have an intermittent issue with the steps taking an excessive amount of time to retract after closing the door although that one is totally random and i cannot recreate it. Happens whenever it wants to on either side about once a month.
Thanks for replying. I am glad to hear someone else has this issue altho at the same time, I am not glad to hear someone else has this issue!

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
Not to hijack but i also have an intermittent issue with the steps taking an excessive amount of time to retract after closing the door although that one is totally random and i cannot recreate it. Happens whenever it wants to on either side about once a month.
You didnt hijack. Mine also do this rarely as well. At least my driver side. I dont even know it is happening when all of a sudden as I am driving down the road 100 yards from where it should have retracted, I hear it retract!!! And all I do is act puzzled lol.

COSPILOT

Reaction score
I’m convinced but could be wrong on this but here goes. If I let the step retract before I start the truck or take off, it seems normal. If I’m quick to put in gear and drive away, there is a long delay. Because the steps come down so low when out and with tight areas near my home with curbs, I’m a little shocked curb rash on the steps hasn’t happened yet.
I’ve been concerned about constant usage wearing out the movable parts as well as the motors on these that I tend to keep them shut off most of the time. Since I keep tools on the backseat floor I’m in and out of the cab sometimes 30 times per day.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My driver side started doing it after we hit 100* F out. My rig is just coming up on a year old, so I'll be taking mine in and having the motor cleaned and lubed and see if it goes away.

RamCares

Reaction score
My driver side started doing it after we hit 100* F out. My rig is just coming up on a year old, so I'll be taking mine in and having the motor cleaned and lubed and see if it goes away.

Please be sure to keep us posted, @Diamondback! I'm also happy to escalate a case for you while in service if it would be of interest.

Mark
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread