5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory Halogen Headlights and Fog Lights to Factory LED Swap

VAVTX

Reaction score
I just replaced the factory halogen lights (fog and headlight) with factory LEDs on my 2022 Ram 1500 Big Horne Night edition. I think most of this information is in the forum but I couldn't find it all in one post. Maybe this will help someone. I am supper happy with how it turned out.

- LED factory headlight fixtures (black) from BAM - $1,090 plus $30 shipping

Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
68533275AB​
Headlamp, Left​
$545.00​
1​
$545.00​
68533274AB​
Headlamp, Right​
$545.00​
1​
$545.00​

- Headlamp harness from Retroshop - $175 free shipping
- LED factory fog light kit from Infotainment - $324.95 free shipping

Notes:
- Infotainment has excellent videos for the installation of the headlamps and another for the fog lights. Watch them a few times.
- Take your time on removing the fascia (the painted piece below the headlight). The last clip is tough (the most inboard one). Don't pull it. You will break it.
- It is much easier to replace the fog lights if you have the headlight assemblies removed. The access is better.
- Make sure all of your connectors lock together. Some of them had to be squeezed together pretty hard to get them to click. I saw a few posts on flashing lights and now wonder if there was loose connection that caused it.
- After I put the fuse tap in for the headlight harness the truck would not start with lots of warning lights. The fuse tap has room for two fuses but only one installed. I moved the fuse from one slot to the other on the tap and everything worked fine. I am still not sure what that was about.
- For the fog lights you have to use the programmer Infotainment sends you. It is a pain to unhook the security module and plug in the bypass unit. If you lay on the driver's floor and look straight up behind the headlight switch you will see it.
- You also have to switch the pins on the fog light connectors. I don't know why. But I followed the directions in the video and this pretty easy.
- I triggered a check engine light in the process. Not sure how or why. I think it was a P0100 code. I reset it with my cheapy reader and it has not come back.
- There is a lot of plastic you have to deal with throughout the installs. Be gentle. If you have to pry or push hard you are doing something wrong.

I hope this helps someone!

Last edited:
U

User_34235

Great info. Any way you can post the part numbers if possible especially for the LED headlights?
Thanks

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
- After I put the fuse tap in for the headlight harness the truck would not start with lots of warning lights. The fuse tap has room for two fuses but only one installed. I moved the fuse from one slot to the other on the tap and everything worked fine. I am still not sure what that was about.
This is why:
tap2.png

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Should have gotten the headlight harness from Jimmy07, then your headlights work just like factory, no fuse tap to mess with.

VAVTX

Reaction score
I didn't know or hear anything about Jimmy07's harness. Other than the fuse tap what else is different? Do they operate differently?

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't know or hear anything about Jimmy07's harness. Other than the fuse tap what else is different? Do they operate differently?
You can proper program the LED's with AlphaOBD and set you DRL's to whatever you want, also no resistors or ballasts. They would work exactly like factory.

tsawyer

Reaction score
I just replaced the factory halogen lights (fog and headlight) with factory LEDs on my 2022 Ram 1500 Big Horne Night edition. I think most of this information is in the forum but I couldn't find it all in one post. Maybe this will help someone. I am supper happy with how it turned out.

- LED factory headlight fixtures (black) from BAM - $1,090 plus $30 shipping

Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
68533275AB​
Headlamp, Left​
$545.00​
1​
$545.00​
68533274AB​
Headlamp, Right​
$545.00​
1​
$545.00​

- Headlamp harness from Retroshop - $175 free shipping
- LED factory fog light kit from Infotainment - $324.95 free shipping

Notes:
- Infotainment has excellent videos for the installation of the headlamps and another for the fog lights. Watch them a few times.
- Take your time on removing the fascia (the painted piece below the headlight). The last clip is tough (the most inboard one). Don't pull it. You will break it.
- It is much easier to replace the fog lights if you have the headlight assemblies removed. The access is better.
- Make sure all of your connectors lock together. Some of them had to be squeezed together pretty hard to get them to click. I saw a few posts on flashing lights and now wonder if there was loose connection that caused it.
- For the fog lights you have to use the programmer Infotainment sends you. It is a pain to unhook the security module and plug in the bypass unit. If you lay on the driver's floor and look straight up behind the headlight switch you will see it.
- You also have to switch the pins on the fog light connectors. I don't know why. But I followed the directions in the video and this pretty easy.
- I triggered a check engine light in the process. Not sure how or why. I think it was a P0100 code. I reset it with my cheapy reader and it has not come back.
- There is a lot of plastic you have to deal with throughout the installs. Be gentle. If you have to pry or push hard you are doing something wrong.

I hope this helps someone
Did you order the headlights from infotainment as well. When I look for them on there I see them offered as a set for 1999.95$

winter_ale

Reaction score
No. I ordered them from BAM for $545 each.
Does doing the swap from halogen to OEM LED affect the warranty at all? I want to swap as well but not at the cost of losing warranty coverage. And maybe not with the swap itself but reprogramming with alphaOBD? Thought I read somewhere messing with the programming voids warranty.

VAVTX

Reaction score
Does doing the swap from halogen to OEM LED affect the warranty at all? I want to swap as well but not at the cost of losing warranty coverage. And maybe not with the swap itself but reprogramming with alphaOBD? Thought I read somewhere messing with the programming voids warranty.
I really don’t know about the warranty coverage. I would not think so but can’t confirm. There was no programming necessary. Just two headlights and a harness.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really don’t know about the warranty coverage. I would not think so but can’t confirm. There was no programming necessary. Just two headlights and a harness.
Here are the settings you have to change after the swap.

led.jpg

Reactions: c3k

VAVTX

Reaction score
Here are the settings you have to change after the swap.

View attachment 122495
Thanks MannyN. I didn’t change any settings on my 22 using the Retroshop harness and everything seems to be working fine. Is there something I should be checking that may not be working correctly?

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Because they use ballasts or something. I got the harness from Jimmy07 and programmed the lights like factory.

Users who are viewing this thread