5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory build error :(

Seadweller23

Reaction score
I went to pick up my 1500 yesterday, only to find that the factory missed three line items:
  • Spray-in Bedliner
  • Bed Utility Group
  • Trailer Camera pre-wiring
So, now I have to wait to see what RAM wants to do to address. I know the first two could be handled by the dealer, but I'm unsure on the camera pre-wiring....

#CaseOfTheMondays

--Joel
I had a similar experience when I picked up my truck. It was upsetting. I never thought they did it intentionally. The Dealer honored and prioritized the work required. The world is an imperfect place sometimes.

ashmite

Reaction score
I had a similar experience when I picked up my truck. It was upsetting. I never thought they did it intentionally. The Dealer honored and prioritized the work required. The world is an imperfect place sometimes.
No priority on my dealer's or FCA's part. 4 weeks after the delivery of the truck and they finally emailed me that they put in all the missing parts they could (not the camera wiring harness).

I called FCA Customer Service 3 times. 1st call was send to wrong department (no call back). 2nd call was forwarded to someone who hung up on me. 3rd call discovered 1st call was sent to the wrong department. The correct Dept called Dealer, but didn't call me. Dealer told me FCA called, but didn't tell me anything. I've repeatedly asked the dealer to get FCA to call me or no deal.

So, as of today, I could go pick up the truck. But no call from FCA feels like a deal breaker to me.

GadgetMason

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No priority on my dealer's or FCA's part. 4 weeks after the delivery of the truck and they finally emailed me that they put in all the missing parts they could (not the camera wiring harness).

I called FCA Customer Service 3 times. 1st call was send to wrong department (no call back). 2nd call was forwarded to someone who hung up on me. 3rd call discovered 1st call was sent to the wrong department. The correct Dept called Dealer, but didn't call me. Dealer told me FCA called, but didn't tell me anything. I've repeatedly asked the dealer to get FCA to call me or no deal.

So, as of today, I could go pick up the truck. But no call from FCA feels like a deal breaker to me.
😢

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The FCA customer service issue is an insult on top of injury.

I would:

1. Find a local aftermarket outfitter who will wire in a harness for your ordered trailer camera.
2. Have FCA bill direct to that outfitter. (Choose an equivalent level camera system.)
3. Have FCA, in writing, include that add-on to the warranty period.
4. Ask for an extended warranty for customer service: wrong truck, dropped calls, no call backs, lack of care.

If none of that suits, then just tell them you'll wait for the properly built vehicle to arrive at the dealer's lot.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Personally, at this price point, if I ordered a truck I would only pay for the truck I ordered.

If it's this difficult just to get what you asked for I don't think it's going to get easier if there's an issue trying to get everything to work or getting it fixed if something goes wrong down the road.

It sucks that you're right there and had planned on your truck now. Even though there's a truck sitting on the lot it's not the one you ordered. It's a frustrating moment as you had planned for now but this is only a blip in your ownership of this truck.

Even though you would start over and wait for weeks again for another truck to arrive it only has to happen once. You have to ask yourself: three years from now are you going to be happy with this truck you didn't order (and got sooner) or would you be happier that you waited a few extra months and are driving the exact truck you wanted?

Just my .02

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score

For me, the only thing in that group that I would not want to mess with after the fact is the trailer wiring. The spray in bedliner, that's easy - I got that added to my truck when I bought it as a perk (done by Leonard, across from the dealership). The BUG tie-downs, I added that myself and it was pretty simple. The bed step and lighting should be relatively simple to add. So really it should be pretty simple: truck is here, hey dealer put this stuff on it and let's get it done. And get a discount for your aggravation and for not getting the camera stuff.

But if you really want the camera stuff, get a new truck. I wouldn't want the dealer monkeying with that for sure.

ashmite

Reaction score
The dealer wrote me today. Stellantis/FCA is offering free oil changes for two years. We only expect to to put 8000 miles a year so this is only good for two changes or about $200 at most.

I'm awaiting a call from a supervisor at Stellantis, but I don't expect that to actually happen.

I'm probably going to buy it. We need it and we really want to have it for our vacations this year. At this point, I'm worked a rebuild will take more than 2 months. Plus, when will they stop making '21s and retool for the 22 models?

Oh yeah, in my enthusiasm, I purchased accessories already that arrived before this all went down. I can't return them now as it's been too long.

At the end of the day, we end up with a new truck to replace an aging vehicle. I don't really need the trailer camera. I grew up on a farm. I can back it up just fine without a camera.

Many thanks to this forum and all your help and encouragement! You all are great!

ashmite

Reaction score
OK, just a quick update.... Stellantis came back and offered 10 years oil change/oil filters/air filters/cabin filter changes. (Basic maintenance). We keep our cars for 10 years so I think I'm OK with this.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
OK, just a quick update.... Stellantis came back and offered 10 years oil change/oil filters/air filters/cabin filter changes. (Basic maintenance). We keep our cars for 10 years so I think I'm OK with this.
Sounds like they are heading where you want them to be. FWIW, I would make sure Stellantis puts in writing not only the 10 year maintenance they are offering, but that it will be honored at ANY Ram dealer. That way if yours closes, or if you are unhappy with their level of service, you can keep your truck maintained at your convenience.

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went to pick up my 1500 yesterday, only to find that the factory missed three line items:
  • Spray-in Bedliner
  • Bed Utility Group
  • Trailer Camera pre-wiring
So, now I have to wait to see what RAM wants to do to address. I know the first two could be handled by the dealer, but I'm unsure on the camera pre-wiring....

#CaseOfTheMondays

--Joel
i am waiting on my build and got all 3, i hope this was a fluke!

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would be too. Oil, air, and cabin filters. (y)

I agree with HemiDude...get that in writing so you can go to any dealership to get that done. Also see if they are willing to make it full synthetic oil changes. ;)

I would also have them define the minimum interval is for each change. The Owner's Manual recommends 20K miles for the cabin filter and 30K miles for the engine air filter.

I change my oil every ~10K miles (with full synthetic).

I replace my cabin filter every 10K miles and it looks pretty dirty when I do. I can't see ever going to 20K miles for cabin air filter changes.

I change my engine air filter every 20K miles and it looks clean so I can see 30K if you are not in dusty/extreme conditions.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I would be too. Oil, air, and cabin filters. (y)

I agree with HemiDude...get that in writing so you can go to any dealership to get that done. Also see if they are willing to make it full synthetic oil changes. ;)

I would also have them define the minimum interval is for each change. The Owner's Manual recommends 20K miles for the cabin filter and 30K miles for the engine air filter.

I change my oil every ~10K miles (with full synthetic).

I replace my cabin filter every 10K miles and it looks pretty dirty when I do. I can't see ever going to 20K miles for cabin air filter changes.

I change my engine air filter every 20K miles and it looks clean so I can see 30K if you are not in dusty/extreme conditions.
Agreed. If it's not in writing, the conversation never took place (regardless).

Users who are viewing this thread