5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory build error :(

ashmite

Reaction score
I went to pick up my 1500 yesterday, only to find that the factory missed three line items:
  • Spray-in Bedliner
  • Bed Utility Group
  • Trailer Camera pre-wiring
So, now I have to wait to see what RAM wants to do to address. I know the first two could be handled by the dealer, but I'm unsure on the camera pre-wiring....

#CaseOfTheMondays

--Joel

ashmite

Reaction score
They are, of course, offering 3 options, but no answers to what might not be dealer installable.

New Build
Discount for existing truck
Install missing parts (if available)

The spray-on bedliner is easy

I think this is the part for the rails: https://www.moparonlineparts.com/sku/82215286ab.html

Not sure what the deal with the towing camera pre-wire and if that can be retro-fitted. I saw the option for the 2nd video source on the head unit.

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It all depends on much this stuff is worth to you.

Spray in Liner - Rather would have Line-X instead of factory but they could get Ram/FCA to pay for this to get sprayed for you.
Bed Utility - Depending on if you really need it or not. Have them install or take the money off.
Trailer Camera - Why do I feel like there is something more to buy with this to get it to actually work other than the wiring in the truck. Now if this is something you really want then I would absolutely push on them to get and install.

In the end it is what you are happy with.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The BUG also comes with LED bed lighting and a bed step.

The mechanical stuff can easily be added but the electronics will require sales code programming changes in addition to installing the parts.

For me, I'd rank them:

1. New build
2. Discount
(distant) 3. Dealership adds the parts

Those are my personal opinions. I would make them build me another truck...the one that I ordered (if I had the time to wait). If they were not make-or-break options it would have to be a healthy discount for it to be a good deal to me to take the truck as-is.

Adding electrical/electronic items takes more than physically installing them. You would have to trust that they will install these things as good as the assembly line, get them programmed right, then make sure your VIN is updated correctly for the items they installed. That's a bridge too far for me to trust personally.

Those are my personal opinions and everybody esle's will be different so take them with a grain of salt.

You can get all the recommendations you want but, as Snofire said, it's what you are happy with.

ashmite

Reaction score
I think I may just get them to fix the bed liner and BUG and skip the trailer camera wiring. I've been driving trailers of all sizes and shapes for almost 40 years now and never needed a camera.

I almost changed my mind on wanting Ram boxes, but it appears you can't get them on the 6'4" bed which I want for my dirt bike.

Thanks All!!

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
X
The BUG also comes with LED bed lighting and a bed step.

The mechanical stuff can easily be added but the electronics will require sales code programming changes in addition to installing the parts.

For me, I'd rank them:

1. New build
2. Discount
(distant) 3. Dealership adds the parts

Those are my personal opinions. I would make them build me another truck...the one that I ordered (if I had the time to wait). If they were not make-or-break options it would have to be a healthy discount for it to be a good deal to me to take the truck as-is.

Adding electrical/electronic items takes more than physically installing them. You would have to trust that they will install these things as good as the assembly line, get them programmed right, then make sure your VIN is updated correctly for the items they installed. That's a bridge too far for me to trust personally.

Those are my personal opinions and everybody esle's will be different so take them with a grain of salt.

You can get all the recommendations you want but, as Snofire said, it's what you are happy with.
X2 on your ranking list of what's important and the reason to NOT get it added by the dealer. Sucks that with the chip shortage it may further delay your build.

Quint

Reaction score
I think that you made the right choice.

I wanted the BUG but from my lot searches, found the almost-perfect truck without the BUG. The only two things that I really wanted were the tie-downs and the bed lights. I bought some Bull Rings for $35 and spent about 2hrs and another $30 running better LED bed lights than would have come with the BUG.

I bet that you can find a good aftermarket solution for the trailer camera. Price out the best one and negotiate that FCA's discount covers that cost at a minimum.

GadgetMason

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are, of course, offering 3 options, but no answers to what might not be dealer installable.

New Build
Discount for existing truck
Install missing parts (if available)

The spray-on bedliner is easy

I think this is the part for the rails: https://www.moparonlineparts.com/sku/82215286ab.html

Not sure what the deal with the towing camera pre-wire and if that can be retro-fitted. I saw the option for the 2nd video source on the head unit.
Pre site should go well by dealer... Camera inputs are on the back of the radio, but it would be a solid day since likely the seats and rugs would have to come out. Exterior run would be fairly simple.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think I may just get them to fix the bed liner and BUG and skip the trailer camera wiring. I've been driving trailers of all sizes and shapes for almost 40 years now and never needed a camera.

I almost changed my mind on wanting Ram boxes, but it appears you can't get them on the 6'4" bed which I want for my dirt bike.

Thanks All!!
When spending this much money, I’d tell them you want a new truck built the way you ordered it. Also tell them you’ll drive this one while you wait. 100% rams fault, not yours! They will walk all over you if you let them!

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When spending this much money, I’d tell them you want a new truck built the way you ordered it. Also tell them you’ll drive this one while you wait. 100% rams fault, not yours! They will walk all over you if you let them!
Also, I don’t care what the options are. If it’s not what your wanted/ordered, they need to make it right!

BowDown

Reaction score

Thats not going to happen

BowDown

Reaction score

Thanks All!!

Thats a reasonable attitude to have towards this and take the additional discount. If the trailer wiring is something you really wanted, dont settle. If its a meh, then take the truck and enjoy

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Something to consider if you take the discount is what the cost to you will be to add these components yourself. They can't just discount the price based on windowsticker pricing, because it's well known that it will cost you more than that to install the bed lights, get them programmed, install the side step and install the tie downs.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would make sure that whatever you decide is something you can be happy with the moment you sign the paperwork and get the key fobs.

If you hang your happy hat on something that is going to happen after the purchase there is a good chance it won't turn out as you had hoped/expected and will nag you.

For this price point you should be happy from the start.

Just my .02

KCViper

Reaction score
Agree with others and is the same reason I choose to build a truck instead of buying off a lot.....I wanted it how I want it!! However, given your situation, I personally would have them install all the BUG options and make sure they use Line-X for the spray in (I believe this is what the factory uses). Get a good discount on the trailer camera and for your trouble. Right now, as others have mentioned, the chip shortage could easily void some options that you want while adding weeks/months to the build. Ultimately, it's totally up to you.......just don't sign until you make up your mind!!

Users who are viewing this thread