5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F150 Lightning - Ford's fully electric truck

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just sold my ram after two years of ownership, it had 13000 miles on it. 100000 miles will last me the full 8 years, I wouldn't keep the truck that long anyway. Good luck on getting 100k out of that ecodiesel, thats a real crapshoot. I don't know how many of those trucks I've seen for sale with a bad engine. I owned a 2017 ecodiesel myself and traded it for the 2019 hemi after 28k miles. I had the injectors replaced after 10k miles on the ecodiesel as it went into limp mode, this would have been a 6000 dollar repair out of warranty, so you see my point any vehicle can have unexpected repair costs. I wouldn't expect the warranty on anything to go past 100k miles.
I have had a nasty habit of trading vehicles all the time myself, rarely putting more than 10-20K miles on them. I do plan on keeping this EcoDiesel for a long time, but we'll see how that goes. Yes, I'm aware last gen EcoD's had some nasty issues. The fact is this engine has been almost entirely re-designed and has only been out for a year, so you assuming it's going to fail is ignorant. Regardless, that's why I have a 8 yr/125K service contract. I won't keep it any longer than that. My point still remains that the used market is important, and vehicles shouldn't be considered so easily disposable. People buy used to save money. Imagine buying a Lightning used in a few years and shortly thereafter getting hit with an outside-of-warranty battery replacement. Ouch. Diesel repairs costs are not the same as gas either, which is what most people are driving. My mom has about 300K miles on her 2009 Aspen with the 5.7 and has had 0 major issues, and barely changes the oil. I don't know if it's a miracle, or an indicator of how well they've nailed down engine production.

it’s not a battery you have to replace. It’s going to be a huge string of them.

in my area, there is literally no access to charging stations. So I would have to charge at home. On a 110 outlet that would take days. I would have to get a DC fast charger installed. This would also mean my electricity bill will go up. Then if everyone else is charging at home using these high amp chargers, the grid will need to be upgraded, and more fossil fuels used by the electric company to supply the needed current.
You won't be getting a DC fast charger. You won't be getting any charger, actually. The charger lives in the vehicle. What you plug into at the wall is just a means of connecting line power to the built-in charger which then converts AC to DC (this is what you would install in your home). Level 3 DC fast charging (typically anything 20+ kW) does the AC to DC conversion in equipment outside of the vehicle, and then directly juices the battery, bypassing the internal charger.

bwsRam19

Reaction score
I have had a nasty habit of trading vehicles all the time myself, rarely putting more than 10-20K miles on them. I do plan on keeping this EcoDiesel for a long time, but we'll see how that goes. Yes, I'm aware last gen EcoD's had some nasty issues. The fact is this engine has been almost entirely re-designed and has only been out for a year, so you assuming it's going to fail is ignorant. Regardless, that's why I have a 8 yr/125K service contract. I won't keep it any longer than that. My point still remains that the used market is important, and vehicles shouldn't be considered so easily disposable. People buy used to save money. Imagine buying a Lightning used in a few years and shortly thereafter getting hit with an outside-of-warranty battery replacement. Ouch. Diesel repairs costs are not the same as gas either, which is what most people are driving. My mom has about 300K miles on her 2009 Aspen with the 5.7 and has had 0 major issues, and barely changes the oil. I don't know if it's a miracle, or an indicator of how well they've nailed down engine production.

You won't be getting a DC fast charger. You won't be getting any charger, actually. The charger lives in the vehicle. What you plug into at the wall is just a means of connecting line power to the built-in charger which then converts AC to DC (this is what you would install in your home). Level 3 DC fast charging (typically anything 20+ kW) does the AC to DC conversion in equipment outside of the vehicle, and then directly juices the battery, bypassing the internal charger.
You assumed that the battery is going to fail on a vehicle that isn't even in production yet, so I guess you are ignorant as well.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Good video from a tech reviewer. He’s not very knowledgeable on trucks but gives us a hands on view and some range information. I’m ready for TFL to get their hands on it because I wonder how much of his discussion around towing is based off his “ignorance” of trucks or if they really are underselling the range by as much as he thinks they may be. His on board range indicator was saying he had 367 miles of range at 80% charge. Which comes out to 460 miles of range at 100% iirc.

Users who are viewing this thread