5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F150 Lightning - Ford's fully electric truck

bwsRam19

Reaction score
I can't think of any time that i drive more than 300 miles in one day, unless I'm taking a trip somewhere, which in that case i would rent a car to keep the excessive miles off my truck. I think the 300 mile range is perfect.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
EVs have their place. I’m not getting something that can go 70 miles and then needs to charge for 12 hours by the fuel they’re supposed to replace. Then when the batteries go bad, there’s no place to put them because there’s no recycling for them. Plus it costs 10s of thousands to replace.

not feasible, at least in my area

bwsRam19

Reaction score
EVs have their place. I’m not getting something that can go 70 miles and then needs to charge for 12 hours by the fuel they’re supposed to replace. Then when the batteries go bad, there’s no place to put them because there’s no recycling for them. Plus it costs 10s of thousands to replace.

not feasible, at least in my area
Some of your points are valid, but I wouldn't keep it out of warranty, so the battery is a none issue. And the batteries can be recycled.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also, Tesla batteries are making it well past 100,000 miles. With some already in the 200,000 mile ballpark. The hit to range from towing or heavy payload is going to be the real kicker.

Ramjack

Reaction score
What many posts here fail to acknowledge is that the average driver just doesn’t drive very far very often. Sure, this truck fails to check the long-distance towing box. But the average American drives 16 miles to work. For the majority of buyers, the truck will just be charged at home at night…and maybe only once or twice per week. While the “hardcore truck guys”wait for a future EV to meet their towing needs, Ford is betting that they’ll be selling thousands of these to everyone else.
I think there is a lot of truth to this. With Ford selling 800,000 - 900,000 F150's per year over the last few years, there are likely a lot of potential adopters (aka buyers). Might be popular with the crowd that does not really need a truck but just wants a truck.

Ramjack

Reaction score
Some of your points are valid, but I wouldn't keep it out of warranty, so the battery is a none issue. And the batteries can be recycled.
The battery replacement cost affects you whether or not you keep it beyond warranty. Unlike engines that can be fixed (usually) when they have problems, batteries cannot be fixed. They must be replaced. (Batteries can be repaired or reconditioned for the secondary market but not for your own re-use.) This will impact resale value dramatically. The EV market is not mature enough for this to be fully reflected in resale value yet. There may come a day where you literally have to pay someone to take a 5yr-old EV off your hands. On the other hand, replacement batteries will gradually become less expensive, especially as reconditioned batteries become avilable. But still, today I can buy certain vehicles used, say 5 years old, and reasonably expect to have virtually zero problems with the vehicle for the next 5 years. If I buy a 5yr old EV, battery replacement in the following 5 years (several thousand $$$) is a virtual certainty. This will show up in resale value more appropriately as the EV market matures. Even if you buy new and don't have to worry about replacing the battery during your ownership, this will factor into your resale value, perhaps dramatically. Time will tell, but I think there is eventually a rude awakening on the overall cost-to-own of EV's.

Last edited:

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I thought this was interesting and relevant regarding battery performance.

Looks like current tech is putting batteries at 300-500k miles before needing replacement right now in brand new Teslas. So if we say this is true then I don't think it'll effect the used market very much. No different than buying a truck or car that has 100k+ miles on it and it turning out to be a pile of crap.

Ramjack

Reaction score

I thought this was interesting and relevant regarding battery performance.

Looks like current tech is putting batteries at 300-500k miles before needing replacement right now in brand new Teslas. So if we say this is true then I don't think it'll effect the used market very much. No different than buying a truck or car that has 100k+ miles on it and it turning out to be a pile of crap.
It is interesting. I'm not sure we can say Tesla batteries are good to for 300k-500k miles. Time is a bigger factor than use. Three years is a short period of time. A battery that lasts 3 years/300k miles does not mean it will last 10 yrs/300k miles, or even 8 yrs/100k miles. But it is still surprising that they are getting this many miles out of the batteries. Time will tell.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is interesting. I'm not sure we can say Tesla batteries are good to for 300k-500k miles. Time is a bigger factor than use. Three years is a short period of time. A battery that lasts 3 years/300k miles does not mean it will last 10 yrs/300k miles, or even 8 yrs/100k miles. But it is still surprising that they are getting this many miles out of the batteries. Time will tell.
Yea. That's just what the "experts" are saying. I was able to find one guy whose got his at 700,000 miles plus in 7 years. Not sure what his battery replacement rate looks like though.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Agreed batteries can be recycled. I’ve seen some articles where there are hundreds of EVs with dead batteries sitting in a field because the municipality can’t afford to replace the batteries, and there was no recycling available in their area.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What many posts here fail to acknowledge is that the average driver just doesn’t drive very far very often. Sure, this truck fails to check the long-distance towing box. But the average American drives 16 miles to work. For the majority of buyers, the truck will just be charged at home at night…and maybe only once or twice per week. While the “hardcore truck guys”wait for a future EV to meet their towing needs, Ford is betting that they’ll be selling thousands of these to everyone else.
Most definitely. My boss is already planning on getting one in a couple years. He has a Tesla model Y, and his wife has a Traverse (3 kids). By that time 2/3 of the kids will be out of car seats so the Y will hold all of them, and he can sell the Traverse to get the truck.

This truck would cover probably 90% of my needs. But so would a hybrid that has a 50 mile electric range and a V8 backup.

Quint

Reaction score
That is spot on for many truck owners, but that doesn't mean that we fail to acknowledge it.

Most 5th Gen forum members aren't typical, and that's why we are here. We are the enthusiasts who modify and use our trucks in ways that most do not. We represent the minority of truck users that manufacturers must strive to eventually reach. That's why we share our opinions.

Even before covid, my commute was 3 miles each way. However, at least twice a month I drive 500 miles roundtrip to my cabin towing my boat. An EV will absolutely not work for me until it has better batteries. I suspect that what many forum members on here will say is similar, because we are less the grocery-getters and more the truck users.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That is spot on for many truck owners, but that doesn't mean that we fail to acknowledge it.

Most 5th Gen forum members aren't typical, and that's why we are here. We are the enthusiasts who modify and use our trucks in ways that most do not. We represent the minority of truck users that manufacturers must strive to eventually reach. That's why we share our opinions.

Even before covid, my commute was 3 miles each way. However, at least twice a month I drive 500 miles roundtrip to my cabin towing my boat. An EV will absolutely not work for me until it has better batteries. I suspect that what many forum members on here will say is similar, because we are less the grocery-getters and more the truck users.
I'm not generalizing this forum, and (respectfully) neither should you. I think it would be fair to say that I'm a Ram enthusiast (I was one of the first members here...and I'm still here). Do I tow regularly? Nope. Does that make me a 'grocery-getter'? Not really. I occasionally haul a motorcycle and regularly run to the gym and Home Depot. I don't commute at all. We're both truck enthusiasts; I just have a different use case than you.

None of this invalidates my point: Posts suggesting this truck will fail because it doesn't meet the needs of a small minority of truck owners are shortsighted. There's a HUGE market of non-towing, short-range truck drivers out there.

Eldodroptop

Reaction score
I'm not generalizing this forum, and (respectfully) neither should you. I think it would be fair to say that I'm a Ram enthusiast (I was one of the first members here...and I'm still here). Do I tow regularly? Nope. Does that make me a 'grocery-getter'? Not really. I occasionally haul a motorcycle and regularly run to the gym and Home Depot. I don't commute at all. We're both truck enthusiasts; I just have a different use case than you.

None of this invalidates my point: Posts suggesting this truck will fail because it doesn't meet the needs of a small minority of truck owners are shortsighted. There's a HUGE market of non-towing, short-range truck drivers out there.
The question you need to ask is this.. Is there a huge market of RATIONAL non-towing short-range truck drivers out there.

I submit there is not. Trucks are bought primarily out of someone’s misconceived notion of what their true vehicle needs are.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The question you need to ask is this.. Is there a huge market of RATIONAL non-towing short-range truck drivers out there.

I submit there is not. Trucks are bought primarily out of someone’s misconceived notion of what their true vehicle needs are.

Does the market care about rational buyers though? I don't think so. I counter that notion with all the "soccer" moms who think they have to have a Suburban or a Yukon XL. I see more and more families getting TWO trucks.

Admittedly I don't do a ton of truck stuff in my truck. However, when I want to haul a load of gravel it can do that. I could probably get by fine with a Tacoma. However, I'm tall and so is my wife. Our children are going to be tall as well. So stepping up to the half ton was my only option. Thankfully we are able to buy whatever we want because it's our money.

bwsRam19

Reaction score

Why does it have to be non towing? I live 5 miles from the lake, so I'm pretty sure its got enough range to pull my boat, I'm 15 miles from the lumber yard, so it should be able to make a 30 mile round trip pulling my trailer, if I was taking a trip somewhere i would rent anyway as to not put a **** ton of miles on my new truck, also my daily commute to work and back is 50 miles. This truck is going to sell, they already have over 20000 deposits in one day, I haven't made a deposit yet because I want to see more firm pricing.

Last edited:

bwsRam19

Reaction score
the lightning has a 10000 lb towing capacity and more payload than the ram 1500 at 2000 lbs, so i think its more than capable of towing

Ramjack

Reaction score
Agreed batteries can be recycled. I’ve seen some articles where there are hundreds of EVs with dead batteries sitting in a field because the municipality can’t afford to replace the batteries, and there was no recycling available in their area.
Yikes

Users who are viewing this thread