5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extra LED Bed Lighting

anthtony

Reaction score
Greetings! Has anyone installed additional LED bed lighting by tapping into the factory bed lights? I'd like to install more lights but I'd rather not have a separate switch for on/off . I am hoping I can get the additional LED lights to power off of the existing LED bed lights). Any thoughts/help/experience would be appreciated!!

LaRamie

Reaction score
Maybe.. most cases I've seen people have made their own setup by tapping into cargo light wire or trailer power. Should work if you do it how you say, may run an inline fuse for the extra lights so it'll blow if something happens before it gets to truck harness.

anthtony

Reaction score
Do a search on bed lighting. You can tap the existing be light. I believe it's a white whire with tan tracer and under drive side door sill.
Thanks....I have searched and searched and I can't find anything where someone has done this. I'll keep looking. The search eliminates the word "bed" because it is too short, which gives me pages and pages of results.

anthtony

Reaction score
Spent some time in the bed of the truck and figured it out. Remove the rear tail lights and it's really easy to get at the wiring for the current LED Bed Lights. I'll just tap into the supply right there. Easy-Peezy!

LaRamie

Reaction score
Spent some time in the bed of the truck and figured it out. Remove the rear tail lights and it's really easy to get at the wiring for the current LED Bed Lights. I'll just tap into the supply right there. Easy-Peezy!
Yeah that will probably be best. I think you'll be the first I've seen add on to existing mopar lights. Post pics!

Reaction score

I'm confused, when you say "current LED Bed Lights" what are you referring to? The one over the cab or the optional ones that are mounted IN the bed? If it's the ones on the top of the cab I'm not clear on why that wire would be accessible via the tail light.

anthtony

Reaction score
I'm confused, when you say "current LED Bed Lights" what are you referring to? The one over the cab or the optional ones that are mounted IN the bed? If it's the ones on the top of the cab I'm not clear on why that wire would be accessible via the tail light.
I'm referring to the optional LED lights in the bed. They do a 'decent' job of lighting up the bed, but the Swing Cases I installed blocked 90% of the light from them. This lights up the entire bed perfectly.

Reaction score
I'm referring to the optional LED lights in the bed. They do a 'decent' job of lighting up the bed, but the Swing Cases I installed blocked 90% of the light from them. This lights up the entire bed perfectly.

Understood, thank you. So my understanding is, in order to "activate" those lights, it requires dealer programming. So, can't just install them and go. From my reading, the other option would be to tap the feed to the cab top light which is the white with tan tracer I was referring to.

anthtony

Reaction score
Understood, thank you. So my understanding is, in order to "activate" those lights, it requires dealer programming. So, can't just install them and go. From my reading, the other option would be to tap the feed to the cab top light which is the white with tan tracer I was referring to.
Yes, That would make sense to me. My Limited came with the LED's standard in the bed.......if I had no LED's at all and wanted them, I wouldn't buy the OEM lights. I don't think they are very bright and do a mediocre job of lighting up the bed. If I were doing it from scratch (which is sounds like you are) I would opt to tap into the cargo light, as you mention. The only reason I wouldn't use a dedicated switch to a constant power source is because I know I'd eventually forget to turn the switch off, and I'd have a dead battery. Having the lights come on with the cab light works really well for what I'm using the lighting for.

RAM_Blue

Reaction score
Yes, That would make sense to me. My Limited came with the LED's standard in the bed.......if I had no LED's at all and wanted them, I wouldn't buy the OEM lights. I don't think they are very bright and do a mediocre job of lighting up the bed. If I were doing it from scratch (which is sounds like you are) I would opt to tap into the cargo light, as you mention. The only reason I wouldn't use a dedicated switch to a constant power source is because I know I'd eventually forget to turn the switch off, and I'd have a dead battery. Having the lights come on with the cab light works really well for what I'm using the lighting for.
Anthony, did you tap into the existing OEM Light switch in the bed to turn the additional lights on and off?

lawlavigne

Reaction score
Bumping an old thread but I'm really looking into doing the same with my bed. I have the Laramie but not the led bed light package. Although I do see the cover popouts where they would go. I've read that they have wiring there already for installing OEM lights but if rather light up the whole bed like someone posted above. Could those wires be tapped into for adding lights or should I just go through the cargo lighting?

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bumping an old thread but I'm really looking into doing the same with my bed. I have the Laramie but not the led bed light package. Although I do see the cover popouts where they would go. I've read that they have wiring there already for installing OEM lights but if rather light up the whole bed like someone posted above. Could those wires be tapped into for adding lights or should I just go through the cargo lighting?
Lots of people have gone both ways. The factory LED option is rather expensive, you have to run wires, and need the dealer to enable them properly. Aftermarket LED strips can be added and tap into the factory cargo light wire. Here is a giant (and more current) thread on the subject-

sparky01

Reaction score

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just swapped out the cargo light bulbs on the cab roof for LED bulbs..$22.00..throws a lot more light, and together with the factory led bed lights, I feel I have plenty of lighting now.

Snwjnky

Reaction score
I have a tonneau cover and the factory installed bed lights also. This looks like a great and simple way to light things up inside. Thanks for the idea :) (y)

Users who are viewing this thread