5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EXTENDED WARRANTY through Insurance Carrier - Geico. 7 years/100,000 miles for $210! ??

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree on that point, and that was the genesis of my question.
Maybe as the extended warranty it would even be worth it. Use FCA/Mopar for the 5 year warranty, and then in the additional 2 years (up to the 7 years) use this Geico MBI as you would be out of the dealer warranty anyway. Even when not using the first 5 years of it, it would still be worth it as it only costs me $210 for the full 7 years (w/ $250 deductible). So that in itself is cheap for +2 years. I wish it went to 10/100K. At $30 a year, that's cheap! I see Mopar warranties going for $2,000 in the forum. And it would be nice to bring it to my mechanic to repair.
it's actually 4 more years of B2B...the 5 year Mopar is drivetrain, B2B is only 3/36K...

SirHobgoblin

Reaction score
it's actually 4 more years of B2B...the 5 year Mopar is drivetrain, B2B is only 3/36K...

I have Geico and was pleasantly surprised to see that has an option when I was adding my 2022 Ram, which I picked up two weeks ago, to my insurance. With a brand new limited longhorn, it averages out to ~$5 a month for the life of the 7 year coverage. That’s cheaper than I pay for apple care on my iPhone…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have Geico and was pleasantly surprised to see that has an option when I was adding my 2022 Ram, which I picked up two weeks ago, to my insurance. With a brand new limited longhorn, it averages out to ~$5 a month for the life of the 7 year coverage. That’s cheaper than I pay for apple care on my iPhone…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have Geico as well and saw that it was added when I bought my 21. Something that I really can’t find much information though is if it causes your rates to rise when you use it.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have Geico as well and saw that it was added when I bought my 21. Something that I really can’t find much information though is if it causes your rates to rise when you use it.
I think the more important question is if the rate rises as the vehicle ages - probably. They entice everyone with these cheap rates at sign-up, because it won't be used (vehicle is covered under OEM warranty). A few years down the road, their risk goes up, so they increase the cost to keep MBI coverage... not to mention the $250 deductible for EACH repair!

I prefer the Mopar money-back guarantee service contracts nobody ever seems to talk about. There are stipulations to it, but basically if you don't use it to cover any out-of-warranty diagnostic/repair charges by the time the contract expires via mileage or time, you get 100% of your money back paid for the service contract.

U

User_3336

I think the more important question is if the rate rises as the vehicle ages - probably. They entice everyone with these cheap rates at sign-up, because it won't be used (vehicle is covered under OEM warranty). A few years down the road, their risk goes up, so they increase the cost to keep MBI coverage... not to mention the $250 deductible for EACH repair!

I prefer the Mopar money-back guarantee service contracts nobody ever seems to talk about. There are stipulations to it, but basically if you don't use it to cover any out-of-warranty diagnostic/repair charges by the time the contract expires via mileage or time, you get 100% of your money back paid for the service contract.
There is only ONE specific MOPAR ESP that comes with the money-back guarantee. If you do not buy that specific one, the money back guarantee DOES NOT apply. I asked Zeigler about that a while back. I'll see if I can locate the transcript.

Rick J

Reaction score
I agree on that point, and that was the genesis of my question.
Maybe as the extended warranty it would even be worth it. Use FCA/Mopar for the 5 year warranty, and then in the additional 2 years (up to the 7 years) use this Geico MBI as you would be out of the dealer warranty anyway. Even when not using the first 5 years of it, it would still be worth it as it only costs me $210 for the full 7 years (w/ $250 deductible). So that in itself is cheap for +2 years. I wish it went to 10/100K. At $30 a year, that's cheap! I see Mopar warranties going for $2,000 in the forum. And it would be nice to bring it to my mechanic to repair.
The MOPAR 5 year that comes with your truck is drive train only. Bumper to Bumper is 3 years/36K miles.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is only ONE specific MOPAR ESP that comes with the money-back guarantee. If you do not buy that specific one, the money back guarantee DOES NOT apply. I asked Zeigler about that a while back. I'll see if I can locate the transcript.
I'm not sure what you mean by "one" specific - you can select just about any term for Maximum Care, then select the money-back guarantee option - it adds a couple hundred bucks to the cost, but it's available. I've purchased it several times.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by "one" specific - you can select just about any term for Maximum Care, then select the money-back guarantee option - it adds a couple hundred bucks to the cost, but it's available. I've purchased it several times.
never heard of 1 extended warranty offering 100% money back if you don't ever use it. I would jump all over an ext warranty if that was in the offer. Most offer 100% money back up to 30-60 days. Never heard of 1 giving all the money back after 4-5 yrs if you never use it.

U

User_3336

Sorry, didn't clarify fully. You are correct, it has to be the MAX CARE (with at least a $100 deductible.)
I meant "one" as the MAX CARE, not the cheaper plans.
the money back plans have a "M" before than plan number, and there is a surcharge for purchasing it.

I have never seen it available in an online configurator. (please share the link if so).

moneyback.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
U

User_3336

never heard of 1 extended warranty offering 100% money back if you don't ever use it. I would jump all over an ext warranty if that was in the offer. Most offer 100% money back up to 30-60 days. Never heard of 1 giving all the money back after 4-5 yrs if you never use it.
It does exist, as stated. Its an additional cost in addition to the regular plan.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't clarify fully. You are correct, it has to be the MAX CARE (with at least a $100 deductible.)
I meant "one" as the MAX CARE, not the cheaper plans.
the money back plans have a "M" before than plan number, and there is a surcharge for purchasing it.

I have never seen it available in an online configurator. (please share the link if so).

View attachment 131488
chryslerfactoryplans has it as an option once you select a plan (on following page).

ramhead

Reaction score
chryslerfactoryplans has it as an option once you select a plan (on following page).

Yeah - it's about $300 - 350 more for the Max care 8yr/60K ($100 Ded) plan. I went with the regular plan (non money back guarantee) but I'm 2nd guessing my choice. I might call & see if I can pay the additional cost to upgrade to the refundable plan. I plan on keeping my truck for at least the 8 yrs (and I only put on 6 - 7 K a year so I look to be good on the mileage). Then again, it may be likely I will probably be using it at some point over the next 5 years (just hit the 36 month exp.) and if I do, that's another 300 -350 I didn't need to spend on the refundable one. But then I do worry about stuff like the manifold crack issue which seems bound to happen at some point (with my luck after the 5yr /powertrain warranty) Arrgh....flip a coin maybe?

Last edited:

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Heck, I get calls to renew my warranty a few times a week from multiple companies. Why stick with Mopar? I hear nothing but complaints about how worthless the dealer mechanics are.

U

User_3336

Heck, I get calls to renew my warranty a few times a week from multiple companies. Why stick with Mopar? I hear nothing but complaints about how worthless the dealer mechanics are.
You'd still have to take it to a "dealer", no matter what warranty you purchased...... What are you trying to say?

ramhead

Reaction score
You'd still have to take it to a "dealer", no matter what warranty you purchased...... What are you trying to say?
I assume he means a 3rd party warranty service. Maybe better in his neck of the woods but everything I've ever heard about those types of warranties has been mostly terrible. People think "hey, I got a much better price not going thru Mopar/OEM" and think they got a deal.....until they have to actually deal with getting repairs/service. Plus potential cheapo parts, shortcuts, etc. and the futility of dealing with correcting or challenging bad/substandard repairs afterwards.

Last edited:

Terrible_One

Reaction score
I assume he means a 3rd party warranty service. Maybe better in his neck of the woods but everything I've ever heard about those types of warranties has been mostly terrible. People think "hey, I got a much better price not going thru Mopar/OEM" and think they got a deal.....until they have to actually deal with getting repairs/service. Plus potential cheapo parts, shortcuts, etc. and the futility of dealing with correcting or challenging bad/substandard repairs afterwards.
Case in point: I got an extended warranty on my CPO RAM from the dealership I bought it from. I didn't read the fine print of it requiring me to bring it to their dealerships only if I am within 40 miles of one. Their service calendar is booked solid for almost 2 months before you can even get your vehicle in, let alone the time to diagnose and repair. Total waste of money. I should have known better.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Yes, I am referring to a 3rd party warranty. I don't have much faith or use for the warranty programs all together. Never actually used one. But as I point out, everyone complains about the stealerships having terrible service departments, why make a monthly payment that locks you to them? Just save your money and use a mechanic you trust and pay them in the rare instance something goes wrong.

I get it. Some guys will take thier truck to the dealer, wade through hours of paperwork and rides back and forth, renting a car all for a squeak ot a drop of oil. I could not do it.

ramhead

Reaction score
Yes, I am referring to a 3rd party warranty. I don't have much faith or use for the warranty programs all together. Never actually used one. But as I point out, everyone complains about the stealerships having terrible service departments, why make a monthly payment that locks you to them? Just save your money and use a mechanic you trust and pay them in the rare instance something goes wrong.

I get it. Some guys will take thier truck to the dealer, wade through hours of paperwork and rides back and forth, renting a car all for a squeak ot a drop of oil. I could not do it.
It's insurance though against a big costly repair. I'm a proponent of them today due to the complexity of modern vehicles - the computers, electronics, etc . which control almost EVERYTHING. I had another veh. w/ ext warranty where the trans went and issues with the PCM. The ext. warranty paid for itself 3 times over compared to what it would have cost to pay for the repairs (even if done by a local mechanic - and it was done with all new warrantied OEM parts, not refurbs or aftermarket that most locals would use). And that was an older veh . with no screen display, cameras, sensors, etc. Plus most ext. warranties give you loaner/rental coverage which you're not gonna get with a local mechanic. Also, the warranty on dealer repairs is usually longer.

I've come to see it as home fire/flood, etc. or other types of insurance....you may not ever need use it or file a claim but you could be out a boatload of money if you forego it and take your chances.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
My home is worth much more than a car. That is no comparison. If warranties were not a money maker they would not sell them.

Buy a lottery ticket instead. You'll be better off.

Users who are viewing this thread