5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EXTENDED WARRANTY through Insurance Carrier - Geico. 7 years/100,000 miles for $210! ??

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Right I wouldn't get it at all as I was curious on what exactly it covered but not very informative.

sicpuppy

Reaction score
  • Includes all parts and systems not just the specific list of items covered by most dealer warranties.

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
I saw this thread which made me look at my Geico policy and sure enough I am covered for $17.10 per 6 months. I never asked for this I guess it was automatically added since it was a brand new truck. For $34.00 per year I’ll take it and if I need it maybe it will be useful.

U

User_3336

I saw this thread which made me look at my Geico policy and sure enough I am covered for $17.10 per 6 months. I never asked for this I guess it was automatically added since it was a brand new truck. For $34.00 per year I’ll take it and if I need it maybe it will be useful.

Have you read the contract, terms, conditions, and exclusions?

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have you read the contract, terms, conditions, and exclusions?
Normal maintenance, wear and tear parts are not covered. Must get an estimate first, adjustor might evaluate the situation, deductible applies. I am sure there is more.

Silent Bob

Reaction score
GEICO's Mechanical Breakdown Insurance

Mechanical Breakdown
We will pay for loss caused other than by collision or under the comprehensive coverage due to the mechanical breakdown of the owned auto.

DEFINITIONS
For the purposes of this amendment, the following special definitions apply with respect to mechanical breakdown only:
  1. Loss means all risk of physical damage to the owned auto or its equipment.
  2. Owned auto means any vehicle described in this policy for which a specific premium charge indicates there is
    coverage. Owned auto does not mean:
    • A newly acquired vehicle; or (MBI is only offered on new vehicles and thus would be under OEM warranty)
    • A replacement vehicle; or
    • A temporary substitute auto.
  3. Mechanical breakdown or failure means the inability of any covered part installed by the original manufacturer, or a like replacement part, which has received the lubrication services recommended by the vehicle manufacturer, to perform the function or functions for which it was designed. It does not mean gradual reductions in operating performance due to ordinary wear and tear.

EXCLUSIONS
For the purposes of this amendment only, with respect to mechanical breakdown, exclusion 4. is deleted (exclusion 4 in underlying policy excludes coverage on damage due to freezing, mechanical or electrical breakdown or failure unless the vehicle was stolen - MBI removes this exclusion). The following exclusions are added:
  • Oxidation and rust damage are not covered.
  • Damage caused intentionally by you or any other person using an owned auto with your permission is not covered.
  • Loss due to misuse, alteration, or lack of proper maintenance is not covered. Proper maintenance is the recommended vehicle maintenance as outlined in the owner's manual provided by the manufacturer.
  • Tire wear or other tire damage is not covered.
  • Normal wear and tear is not covered.
  • Routine maintenance services and parts are not covered. This includes; but is not limited to:
    • Engine tune up;
    • Suspension alignment;
    • Wheel balancing;
    • Filters;
    • Lubrication;
    • Engine coolant;
    • Fluids;
    • Spark or glow plugs;
    • Brake pads;
    • Brake linings; and
    • Brake shoes.
  • Any loss to the extent covered by warranty, recall or voluntary repair programs is not covered.
  • Any loss to a non-owned auto or to a temporary substitute auto is not covered.
  • Any loss to a newly acquired or replacement auto is not covered. (MBI is only offered on new vehicles and thus would be under OEM warranty)
  • Any pre-existing loss or damage to any insured auto is not covered.
  • Multi-Risk coverage will terminate either when the Odometer reading exceeds 100,000 miles or when the age of the vehicle is 7 years old, whichever occurs earlier. The 7-year stipulation will only apply to vehicles that are 1996 model year and later.

AdrianVall

Reaction score
Thanks for this thread! I just added mechanical breakdown coverage to my wife's 2020 Durango. I'll add it to my new 21' Ram Rebel next renewal policy. Makes no sense to add it now since I'm still covered under factory warranty. I have up until 15,000 miles to add it, so that's good. It was only $17 every 6 months for my wife's Durango.

Silent Bob

Reaction score
GEICO's Mechanical Breakdown Insurance
MBI is available for new or leased cars that are less than 15 months old and with less than 15,000 miles.

U

User_3336

My husband heard about this Geico Insurance company so we looked it up. We didn't see a lot of good reviews, to be honest. The company doesn't cover a lot of damages. It took us a lot of time to find an insurance that would actually benefit us, and because my husband is pretty picky it was hard to find something good enough. A family friend recommended us this website https://www.lifeinsuranceblog.net/5-million-dollar-life-insurance-policy-cost/ and after checking it out we got our insurance from them. My husband and I are pretty happy with our investment at the moment.
that's LIFE INSURANCE it appears . . . . ( I flagged this post as SPAM....New user 1st post - off topic )

Last edited by a moderator:

tidefan1967

Reaction score
I just got a quote from Geico this morning and its $18 per MONTH for me, wish I knew how some of you guys were getting so much cheaper. I’m currently with USAA now. I had Geico in the past but the old lady got a speeding ticket and they wanted to go up $110 per month so I went back to USAA that was about three years ago.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am curious, does using the geico mechanical breakdown insurance cause your rates to go up if you use it? Can find no information about this. Mine was automatically added when I added the truck to my policy but want to know if using it will cause your rate to go up.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get outta here…really? I have geico and my 16 scat pack warranty ran out in july

2022 Big Horn Back Country
6/14…order placed
6/24…D status and Vin

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Shawn19

Reaction score
I used the Roadside couple times through StateFarm. They used those tows to hike up my rates. So my guess would be yes….even through it’s not related to a collision they count it as a claim. (BS)
Not 100% sure about your particular situation though.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get outta here…really? I have geico and my 16 scat pack warranty ran out in july

2022 Big Horn Back Country
6/14…order placed
6/24…D status and Vin

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
You won’t be able to add it as your car is too old. It’s only available for cars that are 15 months old or less with less than 15,000 miles.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used the Roadside couple times through StateFarm. They used those tows to hike up my rates. So my guess would be yes….even through it’s not related to a collision they count it as a claim. (BS)
Not 100% sure about your particular situation though.
I have a feeling it’ll affect your rates. That’s why I have always been extremely hesitant to use anything automotive insurance related. Even the free windshield replacement coverage they offer here in Florida I’ve always been skeptical of using that as I’m sure they’ll find a way to jack your rates up for using it. Only want to use insurance when it is in a desperate situation where I have no choice

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You won’t be able to add it as your car is too old. It’s only available for cars that are 15 months old or less with less than 15,000 miles.
Gotcha...so its one of those schemes to make you buy more insurance that you already need.

2022 Ram 1500 Big horn Back country (D status)

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gotcha...so its one of those schemes to make you buy more insurance that you already need.

2022 Ram 1500 Big horn Back country (D status)

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)
not really. Actually a good idea as its a cheaper way to get an extended warranty.

Tundralag

Reaction score
I have a feeling it’ll affect your rates. That’s why I have always been extremely hesitant to use anything automotive insurance related. Even the free windshield replacement coverage they offer here in Florida I’ve always been skeptical of using that as I’m sure they’ll find a way to jack your rates up for using it. Only want to use insurance when it is in a desperate situation where I have no choice
I have used my Geico for my wife’s BMW several times. Rates have never gone up. The process is easy. Call Geico start an MBI claim. Drop the car off at BMW. Service manager calls in to Geico with your claim number. Dealership fixes the car. You pay 250 and drive away.

Users who are viewing this thread