5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extang Xceed Tonneau Cover Review

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals,
I posted a thread a while ago looking if anyone has had experience with the exceed. Nobody had but several were interested. They recently had a sale on so I figured I pull the trigger to replace the Mopar soft tri fold tonneau that came with the truck (wasn't a fan).

My 2019 Ram had a Lomax and although I liked the tonneau there were a few things I didn't like. First was it wasn't very waterproof, it didn't have any drainage for the rails do anything that made it past the main seal went into the truck. The main seals were ok, but they didn't do great. The second thing I didn't like was that it didn't fold up against the cab. When you need full bed access you have to remove the entire thing and it's quite heavy and awkward. I traded that truck in on an EcoDiesel so it was time for a new tonneau. This lead me to the xceed..I was looking for the same look with better weather protection and the ability to fold upright for big loads.

I got the tonneau today and installed it in about 45 minutes with me taking my time. The install was quite straight forward and the quality looks good. It has rails that drain and they have their own small seals on the edge to prevent water from getting under them. The cover itself is quite heavy duty and the twist style latch is nice and easy to operate. It latches very securely and is easy to flip up when needed.

As far as weatherproofing it seems like it will be much more water proof than the Lomax. It had large seals on the side and front, and the fit on the tailgate is very tight (in a good way). Visually it's very sleek and low profile and sits lower than the Lomax.

Overall I'm very impressed and will report back after some heavy rain storms.

Attachments

• 20200707_164607.jpg
    20200707_164607.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 389
  • 20200707_164615.jpg
    20200707_164615.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 392
  • 20200707_164644.jpg
    20200707_164644.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 392

hunter1234

Reaction score
looks nice, I have a BAK X2 on my 2016 and do enjoy it but just ordered a 2020 and looking at the BAK X4 or the realtrax pro and now may have to throw this one in the mix. I like the rollups, but had a tri-fold a long time ago and never had a retracting one - can see the benefits of all. How is the noise or rattle of the top? How would you rate the security of contents in the bed when this is closed, could someone pop it open easily?

kilcher

Reaction score
I plan on buying this one eventually. Another plus is that you turn a knob to open it, someone can't open it with a coat hanger.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
looks nice, I have a BAK X2 on my 2016 and do enjoy it but just ordered a 2020 and looking at the BAK X4 or the realtrax pro and now may have to throw this one in the mix. I like the rollups, but had a tri-fold a long time ago and never had a retracting one - can see the benefits of all. How is the noise or rattle of the top? How would you rate the security of contents in the bed when this is closed, could someone pop it open easily?
I haven't driven with it yet, I'll be doing that shortly. It's quite secure though so I can't see it rattling.
As far as security it seems very secure, the latches are snug and like the following poster said there's a twist latch to get the top to open, so nobody could fish a coat hanger through the tailgate.

Overall it's quite heavy duty and looks sharp. I'll report back tonight after my highway drive.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got back from a 150 mile highway drive. Zero movement at all from the tonneau at highway speeds. My old Lomax would move and you could see it flexing a bit. This one is heavy duty and didn't move at all/make no noise.

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals,
I posted a thread a while ago looking if anyone has had experience with the exceed. Nobody had but several were interested. They recently had a sale on so I figured I pull the trigger to replace the Mopar soft tri fold tonneau that came with the truck (wasn't a fan).

My 2019 Ram had a Lomax and although I liked the tonneau there were a few things I didn't like. First was it wasn't very waterproof, it didn't have any drainage for the rails do anything that made it past the main seal went into the truck. The main seals were ok, but they didn't do great. The second thing I didn't like was that it didn't fold up against the cab. When you need full bed access you have to remove the entire thing and it's quite heavy and awkward. I traded that truck in on an EcoDiesel so it was time for a new tonneau. This lead me to the xceed..I was looking for the same look with better weather protection and the ability to fold upright for big loads.

I got the tonneau today and installed it in about 45 minutes with me taking my time. The install was quite straight forward and the quality looks good. It has rails that drain and they have their own small seals on the edge to prevent water from getting under them. The cover itself is quite heavy duty and the twist style latch is nice and easy to operate. It latches very securely and is easy to flip up when needed.

As far as weatherproofing it seems like it will be much more water proof than the Lomax. It had large seals on the side and front, and the fit on the tailgate is very tight (in a good way). Visually it's very sleek and low profile and sits lower than the Lomax.

Overall I'm very impressed and will report back after some heavy rain storms.

How's the one month review of this? I'm looking into getting this one because I like the flat (no obvious crease) look. I have the multifunction tailgate on mine which unfortunately makes a simple plug and play a bit more hassle but I was wondering if you had the time to take a pic of the front rails where the braces (on an MFT bed) would sit. That would be really helpful if you could but no worries if you can't. I may just pull the trigger anyways and try to make it work. There's a thread on here about tonneau covers and the MFT but I haven't seen anyone with this particular one. I know I'll need the Right On Brackets if I want this to sit flush with the sides but any help before hand would be great.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Still very happy with the cover. It looks great and zero issues with it. I can't really take a picture of the rails at the front because the cover is bolted on there (the front bolts to the rails). The MFT brackets would definitely be in the way

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Still very happy with the cover. It looks great and zero issues with it. I can't really take a picture of the rails at the front because the cover is bolted on there (the front bolts to the rails). The MFT brackets would definitely be in the way

Thanks man! Good to know.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Had to inquire about replacement parts for my Extang Black Max (BM) cover last week. While I was on the phone I asked about the Exceed as I was thinking of replacing the BM cover and was told Extang is having a problem with the cover coming apart and are trying to figure out the issue.

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Had to inquire about replacement parts for my Extang Black Max (BM) cover last week. While I was on the phone I asked about the Exceed as I was thinking of replacing the BM cover and was told Extang is having a problem with the cover coming apart and are trying to figure out the issue.

Damn good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

Netsurfer2

Reaction score
I'll keep an eye on mine. So far still looks brand new
I just purchased my Xceed recently and plan on installing it when I get it on the 7th of this month... as I think it will look great with the after market rims/tires, lift kit, and even though I have a spray-in bed liner, I bought a rough country rubber bed mat, because I like the way it covers the entire bed floor and may even buy full carpet in the future. I will also keep this forum posted on how well the Xceed cover does over time. I have not seen very many bad comments about this Xceed cover and like the idea of the twist knob as anti-theft would seem to be much easier with the pull wires, which is why I decided to pull the trigger and buy one.

Update: While installing this Extang Xceed cover I used sealant on the front bulkhead rubber seal that the cover package comes with, because I have a sprayed in bed liner and used a little extra sealant on the screw in strap modules to reduce any leakage and have not had any leaks at all since. I recommend placing the front bulkhead rubber seal at the rear part of the front bulkhead as much as you can, positioning the cover as close to the back as possible to cover the tailgate within reason with being able to close the tailgate accurately. I have not had any leaks at all and love this cover... Not a single problem as of yet!

Last edited:

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You'll be happy with it. I'm very satisfied with mine. It looks great and functions perfectly

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
I'm liking mine. Only been on the last few weeks but I love the look and it hasn't given me problems. The only issue I've experience so far is if you have a spray in liner, the bulkhead weatherstrip they provided doesn't like to stick well at all. The front of the cover sits down well on it and creates a good seal and prevents it from moving, but the adhesive isn't quite as strong as I'd like. Other than that I love it. It's caused quite a few people in traffic to stare.

Netsurfer2

Reaction score
I'm liking mine. Only been on the last few weeks but I love the look and it hasn't given me problems. The only issue I've experience so far is if you have a spray in liner, the bulkhead weatherstrip they provided doesn't like to stick well at all. The front of the cover sits down well on it and creates a good seal and prevents it from moving, but the adhesive isn't quite as strong as I'd like. Other than that I love it. It's caused quite a few people in traffic to stare.
I purchased a new Extang Xceed cover and also have a spray in bed liner, so I used sealant on the front bulkhead to hold the rubber seal down and weatherize it from any water getting in, then I put a dab of sealant on the screw in strap modules and I have never had any leak problems at all. I love that the first panel has a twist knob, so theft is much harder and this cover is very well made, looks great also!

kernelhappy

Reaction score
I purchased a new Extang Xceed cover and also have a spray in bed liner, so I used sealant on the front bulkhead to hold the rubber seal down and weatherize it from any water getting in, then I put a dab of sealant on the screw in strap modules and I have never had any leak problems at all. I love that the first panel has a twist knob, so theft is much harder and this cover is very well made, looks great also!
Do you have a photo of how you sealed it?

kernelhappy

Reaction score
Ownership time: 1 hour
Installed: 2019 5th gen, 6'4" bed, spray-in liner
Impressions: mixed

I just installed my xceed about an hour ago. So far I think I may like the cover but, I'm a little disappointed in some of the craftsmanship and concerned about the longevity because of it. The cover itself seems reasonably robust, the panels seem are rigid and don't have any immediately noticeable flex or looseness, the hinges seem fairly solid. the latches feel pretty good and catch easily. Overall the product design seems like what I was looking for, however based upon the packaging and the lack of quality control in the cover itself, it's clear the people making these do not care about what their doing.

My package was received reasonably intact. The cardboard box is reasonably sturdy, mine had 4 bands and reinforced tape securing it closed. Within the box the cover is wrapped in a plastic with a sheet of bubble wrap on one side and surrounds made from expanding polyurethane foam (great-stuff). There's a very small amount of spray foam stuck to the underside of the cover, it's not really significant but given the way it was packaged it could have easily been all over the sides or top and urethane foam does NOT come off without taking some of what it's on with it. To make the insult worse, despite using foam to create a custom fit package, there was still a lot of room for the cover to move within the box during transit. As a result one of the panels has a dent in the underside, probably from the rail which are just laid in the box on top of the bubble wrap and not secured very well.

The holes drilled in the cover for the tie down straps at the bulkhead were hastily drilled and shavings were not cleaned up. The tape protecting the cover from these holes during transit had a lot of aluminum shavings stuck to it and the remainder of the shavings were all over the surface of the cover, the underside of the next panel, stuck o the rubber spacers/pads and stuck on the rubber seals and in the grooves in the seals on both sides all the way along the entire length of the cover. The intermediate rails in the cover have some small bumpers screwed into them, the holes were either pre-drilled or the screw is self taping, but in either case there are large aluminum shavings sticking out from under and on some of them. I really can't see how correcting this would take any significant time during manufacturing and it would likely prevent the shavings from damaging the cover. I ended up using some painter masking tape to pick the shavings off the cover (since it's cool out I didn't want to get the underside of the cover wet and then have to wait for it to dry).

On the last panel by the tailgate (with the lock knob), there is plastic panel that covers the mechanism (presumably so someone can't coathanger the wire that the knob actuates), on mine it came popped off on one side. It's a small detail but it shows how there is a quality control issue with this cover.

The rails themselves seem okish. One of my rails has a slight bow in it, probably related to the packaging although it seems like I was able to get the rail to lay down flat when clamped in place, I will have to keep an eye on it, hopefully it won't bow again and become a point of leak. As I installed the first rail I was thinking to myself there should be a piece of neoprene or rubber at the end so it doesn't rub against the bulkhead. When I pulled the second rail out, there was a piece of neoprene on the end, but it was not oriented correctly, the section of the rail that would touch the bulkhead is longer horizontally, the neoprene was installed vertical and only partially covering the portion that touches the bulkhead. I was able to rotate the pad and it turned out the pad for the other rail was stuck inside the wrapper, I retrieved it and was able to put it on.

I chose the xceed over the bakflip MX4 because I liked the release knob vs cable, the matte look of the surface and, I thought maybe the rubber coating would be more forgiving of dents and impacts over the life of the cover. Given that this cover is just over $900 I would have expected the packaging and manufacturing to have been a little more robust, if even just to prevent replacing $900 covers damaged by simple things to correct. Don't get me wrong, the concept of how it's packaged is probably fine, but it was executed so poorly I'm honestly surprised there was only a little spray foam on the cover, one dent and a slight bow in a rail. Same can also be said for the cover itself; the design seems solid but it's obvious that there is a quality control problem and I have concerns about the longevity of this product.

I'm going to let the seller know my concerns and try to see how it feels in a week or two. I'll update once I have lived with it a while.

Attachments

• Foam 1.jpg
    Foam 1.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 77
  • Panel Dent 1.jpg
    Panel Dent 1.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Rail Bow 1.jpg
    Rail Bow 1.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Rail Bow 2.jpg
    Rail Bow 2.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Shavings 1.jpg
    Shavings 1.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Shavings 2.jpg
    Shavings 2.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Shavings 3.jpg
    Shavings 3.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Shavings 4.jpg
    Shavings 4.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 68
  • Shavings 5.jpg
    Shavings 5.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Shavings 7.jpg
    Shavings 7.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Creamsicle

Reaction score
Ownership time: 1 hour
Installed: 2019 5th gen, 6'4" bed, spray-in liner
Impressions: mixed

I just installed my xceed about an hour ago. So far I think I may like the cover but, I'm a little disappointed in some of the craftsmanship and concerned about the longevity because of it. The cover itself seems reasonably robust, the panels seem are rigid and don't have any immediately noticeable flex or looseness, the hinges seem fairly solid. the latches feel pretty good and catch easily. Overall the product design seems like what I was looking for, however based upon the packaging and the lack of quality control in the cover itself, it's clear the people making these do not care about what their doing.

My package was received reasonably intact. The cardboard box is reasonably sturdy, mine had 4 bands and reinforced tape securing it closed. Within the box the cover is wrapped in a plastic with a sheet of bubble wrap on one side and surrounds made from expanding polyurethane foam (great-stuff). There's a very small amount of spray foam stuck to the underside of the cover, it's not really significant but given the way it was packaged it could have easily been all over the sides or top and urethane foam does NOT come off without taking some of what it's on with it. To make the insult worse, despite using foam to create a custom fit package, there was still a lot of room for the cover to move within the box during transit. As a result one of the panels has a dent in the underside, probably from the rail which are just laid in the box on top of the bubble wrap and not secured very well.

The holes drilled in the cover for the tie down straps at the bulkhead were hastily drilled and shavings were not cleaned up. The tape protecting the cover from these holes during transit had a lot of aluminum shavings stuck to it and the remainder of the shavings were all over the surface of the cover, the underside of the next panel, stuck o the rubber spacers/pads and stuck on the rubber seals and in the grooves in the seals on both sides all the way along the entire length of the cover. The intermediate rails in the cover have some small bumpers screwed into them, the holes were either pre-drilled or the screw is self taping, but in either case there are large aluminum shavings sticking out from under and on some of them. I really can't see how correcting this would take any significant time during manufacturing and it would likely prevent the shavings from damaging the cover. I ended up using some painter masking tape to pick the shavings off the cover (since it's cool out I didn't want to get the underside of the cover wet and then have to wait for it to dry).

On the last panel by the tailgate (with the lock knob), there is plastic panel that covers the mechanism (presumably so someone can't coathanger the wire that the knob actuates), on mine it came popped off on one side. It's a small detail but it shows how there is a quality control issue with this cover.

The rails themselves seem okish. One of my rails has a slight bow in it, probably related to the packaging although it seems like I was able to get the rail to lay down flat when clamped in place, I will have to keep an eye on it, hopefully it won't bow again and become a point of leak. As I installed the first rail I was thinking to myself there should be a piece of neoprene or rubber at the end so it doesn't rub against the bulkhead. When I pulled the second rail out, there was a piece of neoprene on the end, but it was not oriented correctly, the section of the rail that would touch the bulkhead is longer horizontally, the neoprene was installed vertical and only partially covering the portion that touches the bulkhead. I was able to rotate the pad and it turned out the pad for the other rail was stuck inside the wrapper, I retrieved it and was able to put it on.

I chose the xceed over the bakflip MX4 because I liked the release knob vs cable, the matte look of the surface and, I thought maybe the rubber coating would be more forgiving of dents and impacts over the life of the cover. Given that this cover is just over $900 I would have expected the packaging and manufacturing to have been a little more robust, if even just to prevent replacing $900 covers damaged by simple things to correct. Don't get me wrong, the concept of how it's packaged is probably fine, but it was executed so poorly I'm honestly surprised there was only a little spray foam on the cover, one dent and a slight bow in a rail. Same can also be said for the cover itself; the design seems solid but it's obvious that there is a quality control problem and I have concerns about the longevity of this product.

I'm going to let the seller know my concerns and try to see how it feels in a week or two. I'll update once I have lived with it a while.
Considering this cover and appreciate your extensive notes. Any updates on product durability?

Cheers

krinwisco

Reaction score
netsurfer2 @ Kernelhappy @ MarvsAMartin @ how is the Exceed holding up. creamsicle @ did you purchase one? I am extremely disappointed with mine. The vinyl started to shrink after 1 year and it is cracking on the hinge line. I received a new one under warranty, but it is still in the box for fear it will fail the same way. 2 years of Wisconsin weather should not do this to a cover... Just wondering if others are experiencing the same issues...

exceed.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread