5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extang Encore Tonneau and BAKFlip MX4 problem on 2021 Ram Rebel

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like the Encore line is down again, or still, idk. Looking to get one just for the fact that the front part can be opened independently. I’m getting a fuel tank / toolbox for the bed right there and want it hidden with easy access. American trucks.com shows 12+ weeks for them to be back in stock, so basically they have no idea. Seems to be just for the 6’4” bed though which I have. If any of you know of other hard covers which can fold open by the cab like the encore that would be awesome.

Heisrizn

Reaction score
Ok long story short. I was sold on the Exteng Encore and ordered it through the Extang website. After like 6 weeks of non delivery and no delivery date in sight I called the COO of Truck-Hero who owns about 20 different brands. He told me they had a problem with the Extang production line and it will be a good while before it comes back online but he can put me in a BAKflip MX4 and have it overnighted to me and apologized for the issues. So once I knew the BAKflip MX4 was coming I also ordered the BAKbox 2 toolbox. Anyway, got the BAKflip MX4 and started the install. Everything went well until I noticed one of the rear corner pieces was torn off. Ok easy fix though they can send me a replacement. Then I go to mount the front panel of the BAKFlip MX4 to the rail piece up front and the holes are not even close to lining up. I refuse to drill a bigger hole in a $1000 bed cover! So I called them up and said look you got some QC problems here and they said they will take care of it. So good customer support at least. So 2 days later I have the replacement end caps and 2 weeks later (because they custom build) I received the new tonneau cover. Install went smooth this time - nothing broken, holes lined up. great. Then it rained. Water comes in all 4 corners. I was so disgusted. Then I went online and I see person after person commenting about their BAKflip MX4 leaking on the corners. I tried everything to stop the leak, adjusting, adding more adhesive foam to seal it, etc. water just comes in. I have had much cheaper bed covers my whole life and never had one leak.

Anyway I called them up today and went through my issues and they said well we don't claim any bed cover is waterproof, you might find some condensation but certainly not pooling. They said that I can troubleshoot with them or they will be glad to ship me out the Extang Encore instead because that line is now operational again. So my question is do I just get my money back and be done with them and find something else or do I go with the Extang Encore? Do any of you guys have leak problems with the Extang Encore? Would love to know. From google's standpoint it doesn't seem to be near as much but that cover has not been around as much either.

Thank you!
I decided on the Xtang Xceed. Seriously consider it.

Also, you have a contact for the COO of truck herom

petersandler

Reaction score
I decided on the Xtang Xceed. Seriously consider it.

Also, you have a contact for the COO of truck herom
You have pictures of Xtang Xceed installed you could share? Any further feedback on it? I thought I knew what I was going to get (either Truxedo Sentry CT or Gator HR1) but then I read something about how a simple coat hanger can defeat the lock by get through the seal and pulling the string. Seems the Xtang's rotary latch is much safer and the Enduracoat finish gives it a soft cover look. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread