5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extang Encore Tonneau and BAKFlip MX4 problem on 2021 Ram Rebel

Boone Down South

Reaction score
Ok long story short. I was sold on the Exteng Encore and ordered it through the Extang website. After like 6 weeks of non delivery and no delivery date in sight I called the COO of Truck-Hero who owns about 20 different brands. He told me they had a problem with the Extang production line and it will be a good while before it comes back online but he can put me in a BAKflip MX4 and have it overnighted to me and apologized for the issues. So once I knew the BAKflip MX4 was coming I also ordered the BAKbox 2 toolbox. Anyway, got the BAKflip MX4 and started the install. Everything went well until I noticed one of the rear corner pieces was torn off. Ok easy fix though they can send me a replacement. Then I go to mount the front panel of the BAKFlip MX4 to the rail piece up front and the holes are not even close to lining up. I refuse to drill a bigger hole in a $1000 bed cover! So I called them up and said look you got some QC problems here and they said they will take care of it. So good customer support at least. So 2 days later I have the replacement end caps and 2 weeks later (because they custom build) I received the new tonneau cover. Install went smooth this time - nothing broken, holes lined up. great. Then it rained. Water comes in all 4 corners. I was so disgusted. Then I went online and I see person after person commenting about their BAKflip MX4 leaking on the corners. I tried everything to stop the leak, adjusting, adding more adhesive foam to seal it, etc. water just comes in. I have had much cheaper bed covers my whole life and never had one leak.

Anyway I called them up today and went through my issues and they said well we don't claim any bed cover is waterproof, you might find some condensation but certainly not pooling. They said that I can troubleshoot with them or they will be glad to ship me out the Extang Encore instead because that line is now operational again. So my question is do I just get my money back and be done with them and find something else or do I go with the Extang Encore? Do any of you guys have leak problems with the Extang Encore? Would love to know. From google's standpoint it doesn't seem to be near as much but that cover has not been around as much either.

Thank you!

Apeman

Reaction score
That sucks.

I just received my MX4 Friday and put it on yesterday. I'm not happy with mine either. I have a 19 Rebel. Mine seems too short. If I put it all the way forward there's no seal at the tailgate. I had to move it back a little to get the tailgate covered. It was raining today so I went to check on it and there's water running down the front of the bed in multiple spots.

Do the front corner pieces on yours wiggle a lot? Mine do. Seems like they're going to break off if they get bumped too hard.

When I had my F150 the CEO of Bak joined to address multiple complaints about a different cover they made. I emailed him to let him know about my issues. Maybe they're trying to rush them out and they have quality issues because if it. I've seen a lot of good reviews on this cover

bocco

Reaction score
Yes BakFlip appears to have some quality issues. I installed mine on a new truck last weekend and couldn't get the pass side prop rod to fit. The mounting bracket on the side rail was about an inch farther forward than the other side. Also that bracket was not properly rivetted and was loose. Customer service was great. I called on Monday and had new rails on Thursday. They came as a pair. I replaced the bad side only. Same location issue but the rivets were good. So I put cutting blade on my Dremel too and cut about an inch of the prop rod and put the rubber tip back on problem solved. But I am going to call them in the morning to point out the issue.

I agree with Apeman that the top seems a tad short. I washed the truck yesterday and didn't really notice a leak problem. I dropped the tail gate and had a few drips in the back corners and that was it. Just needed a quick wipe. I checked the front with a flashlight and all looked good.

20210523_123824.jpg

Nova90

Reaction score
While I am waiting for the delivery of my new Rebel, I have been researching both these brands. My Dad has the Extang Trifecta Signature cover on his 2019 Rebel and has zero water infiltration. The Backflip MX4 seems to be very popular, but I'm seeing more and more comments about water leak issues. The Extang is half the price of the MX4, but obviously it doesn't provide the same security as a solid panel cover.

Boone Down South

Reaction score
That sucks.

I just received my MX4 Friday and put it on yesterday. I'm not happy with mine either. I have a 19 Rebel. Mine seems too short. If I put it all the way forward there's no seal at the tailgate. I had to move it back a little to get the tailgate covered. It was raining today so I went to check on it and there's water running down the front of the bed in multiple spots.

Do the front corner pieces on yours wiggle a lot? Mine do. Seems like they're going to break off if they get bumped too hard.

When I had my F150 the CEO of Bak joined to address multiple complaints about a different cover they made. I emailed him to let him know about my issues. Maybe they're trying to rush them out and they have quality issues because if it. I've seen a lot of good reviews on this cover
Yes the corner pieces or flimsy and are only attached by a small screw. They have replacement kits for the corner pieces for both the front and back corners. They sent this to me to fix the first issue I had. I contacted Truck-Hero today and they are sending me a return label and giving me a refund. I also processed a return on the BakBox that I was really psyched about. I am leaning toward the WeatherTech alloy cover. According to their website they design the cover to shed water and they flat out tell you the seems are WATERPROOF.

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve never had any issues with the mx4 on my Silverado. Got one sitting in my garage awaiting my new rebel. Also bought from truck hero. Hope I don’t have any issues. I’ll let you know when my truck shows up. Dealer eta 6/7-6/21

captainzombie

Reaction score
I honestly have no clue what has happened with BAK and their MX4. I had one for my 2016 Colorado that I was very happy with and no issues at all. So then 2 years later, I traded in the Colorado for a '18 Silverado. I'm like the MX4 was good to me with the Colorado, so I ordered it for the Silverado. The first one I received was messed up where it was not quite long enough at the tailgate, so water would easily get in. They sent me another one, which still had some QC issues but at that point I just dealt with it. I traded in that Silverado a month ago for the '21 Laramie, and now I am back in the hunt for a Tonneau cover and considered the MX4 again, but I am a bit hesitant with their QC issues that I have experienced in the past and everything that is being said here in this thread.

Apeman

Reaction score
Bak is sending me a new cover. In addition to the leaking, a piece of my hinge popped out while unfolding it. I sent Bak pictures and was told they'd warranty it on that alone even if it didn't leak. What I didn't like to hear was that they said they will send out new corner pieces if they break but it was suggested that I put some silicone on that piece to help keep it still. We shouldn't have to do this to an $800+ cover.

Bak gave me the tolerances for the cover. Mine measures at the shortest allowed length to pass QC.

I also sent pictures to tonneaufactoryoutlet because I bought from them. One of the guys there said he used to work for Bak. Looking at the pictures I sent he thinks the front panel on mine is bad and the water is getting in there. They said they'd work with me if I still wasn't happy with the new cover when it arrives. I said I'd probably go with the Undercover ultra or armorflex if I still had problems. He started laughing and said they're made by the same company. Truck hero owns both and they're made in the same factory.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Truck Hero
scroll down for brands.

I have a 2001 Extang Black Max cover and the same cover for 2 years on my 2019, not the same quality control. Parts came mislabeled on the 2019 and leaks as opposed to my 2001. Leaks are not all Extang's fault, some I feel is the Ram's bed design: front, side plastic bed covers and tailgate.
Bought a DiamondBack - great company and reminded me of my initial experience with the Extang.

Last edited:

Boone Down South

Reaction score
So I feel like Truck-Hero has good customer support as they continued to tell me they will troubleshoot with me, send out another cover, let me choose a different cover etc.. But unfortunately the product does not have good QC. I really like the idea of having a hard cover that I can get into the front section easily. So as far as I know, that was the Extang Encore - you can open the front panel directly from the front - also Truck-Hero - and had problems with their production line, the BakFlip MX4 cause it folds all the way up and their was one by Undercover. That is really nice feature to have but it looks like all of these manufactures are building in drain tubes which flat out tells me they are not engineered to shed water well - they are expecting water to get into the rails and then drain out. I don't get that at all but I thought I would try it for those features. But I'm done. I am still leaning to the Alloy cover by WeatherTech. I just talked to them this morning and they told me you have 30 days for a full refund. If their is a problem with it, they will cover shipping, if you just don't like it, then you cover shipping.

Jako

Reaction score
So I feel like Truck-Hero has good customer support as they continued to tell me they will troubleshoot with me, send out another cover, let me choose a different cover etc.. But unfortunately the product does not have good QC. I really like the idea of having a hard cover that I can get into the front section easily. So as far as I know, that was the Extang Encore - you can open the front panel directly from the front - also Truck-Hero - and had problems with their production line, the BakFlip MX4 cause it folds all the way up and their was one by Undercover. That is really nice feature to have but it looks like all of these manufactures are building in drain tubes which flat out tells me they are not engineered to shed water well - they are expecting water to get into the rails and then drain out. I don't get that at all but I thought I would try it for those features. But I'm done. I am still leaning to the Alloy cover by WeatherTech. I just talked to them this morning and they told me you have 30 days for a full refund. If their is a problem with it, they will cover shipping, if you just don't like it, then you cover shipping.
Is the Weathertech a rebranded Lomax?

Apeman

Reaction score
Is the Weathertech a rebranded Lomax?
No. Lomax and access are made by the Agricover.

I've heard good things about Lomax. I really want a cover that folds all the way up to access the front of the bed and it seems like Bak and Undercover were the only two that did until now. Lomax just released their version. It looks good but you have to stick 2 pieces on your cab roof to hold the cover open.

Jako

Reaction score
No. Lomax and access are made by the Agricover.

I've heard good things about Lomax. I really want a cover that folds all the way up to access the front of the bed and it seems like Bak and Undercover were the only two that did until now. Lomax just released their version. It looks good but you have to stick 2 pieces on your cab roof to hold the cover open.

WeatherTech Warranty
Thank you for looking at our AlloyCover Hard Tri-Fold Truck Bed Covers. The fact is they are made for us by an expert American company, to our specifications, right here in America.

Our contract with our supplier requires us to offer a 3 year warranty on our AlloyCover Hard Tri-Fold Truck Bed Covers, which of course we do. But we would really like to offer you our Lifetime Limited Warranty, like we do on everything else we sell. The reality is, if you, as our customer has an issue that would be covered under our 3 year warranty, after the 3 year warranty has expired, we are going to do everything in our power to help you out, and make you smile.

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truck Hero
scroll down for brands.

I have a 2001 Extang Black Max cover and the same cover for 2 years on my 2019, not the same quality control. Parts came mislabeled on the 2019 and leaks as opposed to my 2001. Leaks are not all Extang's fault, some I feel is the Ram's bed design: front, side plastic bed covers and tailgate.
Bought a DiamondBack - great company and reminded me of my initial experience with the Extang.
Ya but they make the cover for the truck not the truck for the cover. Just sounds like they need to get ahold the qc and fix things

Jako

Reaction score
Ya but they make the cover for the truck not the truck for the cover. Just sounds like they need to get ahold the qc and fix things
I have the feeling (don't really know) that their priority is the bottom line (Ok with that). I do like that they are manufacturing in the US, hope that continues. I don't believe Truck Hero owned Extang in 2001 or was even around back then but my experiences with Extang (aka Truck Hero) is as post 9. Why the decline?

Pretty much felt about Extang in 2001 the way I feel about DiamondBack.
I had an issue when installing my DiamondBack, called and received prompt answer to the call and my question. No QC problems on their part. Very happy with my purchase. Price is high but what cover can you put 1600 lbs. on?
Also warranty:

LonelyStar

Reaction score
Be warned Bakflip MX4 will get dented during hail. I had minor dents on mine due to hail, nothing on the truck panles but only on the thin Backflip panels. I guess its made of aluminium. Just letting ya'all know. Thanks

Klicht87

Reaction score
I've mentioned this in a previous thread but I had one for my 2018 colorado prior to my current 2021 ram and it leaked quite a bit. I won't go back to a solid cover like that again, especially for the price. I do like my mopar tri-fold that was installed when I bought my truck.

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My new mx4 hasn’t leaked yet. The one on my Silverado did but this one is water tight. We’ve had torrential rain in ny as of late

tac63

Reaction score
Not an MX4 but I can say I've had my issues with Bakflip as well. My G2 cover is about a 1.5 years old and 2 out of 3/4 panels are seperating from the insert and massively bubbled up. Contacted customer service multiple times and they have been bad to deal with. Response are taking weeks from them and even then they aren't willing to warranty or repair. Won't buy another Bakflip.

FLArebel

Reaction score
I hope the replacement mx4 works out for you. I had the encore on my gen4 ram. It was nice being able to open the panel closest to the cab and the cover was very easily removable. However, the panels faded badly in just a year or two, and by year three the rubber seals between panels fell apart rendering a very leaky cover.
I wanted the mx4 but read iffy reviews and ordered the undercover armor flex. After a year of use it looks great and functions perfectly. Very dry, although a little bit of water can get in at the corners. Just throwing another option out there for you if you are interested

Users who are viewing this thread