5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exploding/Shattered Panoramic Sunroof-2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It isn't heat causing the glass to break. It's most likely a glass flaw or it was chipped along the edge during assembly which is done at the vendor not Ram assembly plant. Rear windows, side glass and sunroofs all "explode" in all makes of vehicles.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It isn't heat causing the glass to break. It's most likely a glass flaw or it was chipped along the edge during assembly which is done at the vendor not Ram assembly plant. Rear windows, side glass and sunroofs all "explode" in all makes of vehicles.
Glass doesn't just explode without some sort of external involvement. Usually it's heat related or hitting a pothole, humidity. Even with a flaw there's something that causes that flaw to be shown. It's not Harry Potter's wizardry going on that just magically makes glass shatter

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yah well most the time it WONT be warrantied glad I have coverage

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glass doesn't just explode without some sort of external involvement. Usually it's heat related or hitting a pothole, humidity. Even with a flaw there's something that causes that flaw to be shown. It's not Harry Potter's wizardry going on that just magically makes glass shatter
Yes, hot, cold, vibration, impact is probably the trigger but the original flaw is the cause.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree. Must not be fully tempered Glass. I wonder if they tried going the cheap route and this is the end result.
Most of my life was in the car biz and this has happened back in the 70's. No internet and no forums. So the few people it happens to never connected like they do now. It's just the nature of glass. Some slip through QC, then bang and you have a seat full of glass mini ice cubes. I've had one glass failure in 54 years of driving and well over 100 vehicles owned.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most of my life was in the car biz and this has happened back in the 70's. No internet and no forums. So the few people it happens to never connected like they do now. It's just the nature of glass. Some slip through QC, then bang and you have a seat full of glass mini ice cubes. I've had one glass failure in 54 years of driving and well over 100 vehicles owned.
I know it's not common. I think that's what I've been pretty much saying lol

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree. Must not be fully tempered Glass. I wonder if they tried going the cheap route and this is the end result.
Only fully-tempered glass would shatter like this. The process makes it strong but very brittle and—unfortunately—susceptible to flaws.

I had this happen recently with one of the brand name French doors on my house. At first, the company presumed that a rock was thrown at the door, causing it to suddenly shatter completely. Then I pointed out that it was the inside pane that had shattered for no apparent reason (no kids, tiny dogs, no accidents). They replaced it under warranty and commented that—while rare—the tempering process can cause this if flaws are present.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only fully-tempered glass would shatter like this. The process makes it strong but very brittle and—unfortunately—susceptible to flaws.

I had this happen recently with one of the brand name French doors on my house. At first, the company presumed that a rock was thrown at the door, causing it to suddenly shatter completely. Then I pointed out that it was the inside pane that had shattered for no apparent reason (no kids, tiny dogs, no accidents). They replaced it under warranty and commented that—while rare—the tempering process can cause this if flaws are present.
Well the whole point of tempered glass is to make it temperature resistant...that's why I said it must've not have been tempered correctly or fully...besides in your case....the rock was clearly thrown from the inside 😁

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Well the whole point of tempered glass is to make it temperature resistant...that's why I said it must've not have been tempered correctly or fully...besides in your case....the rock was clearly thrown from the inside 😁
That's not the ONLY POINT...

Tempered glass is used when strength, thermal resistance, and safety are important considerations. ... Because large, sharp glass shards would present additional and unacceptable danger to passengers, tempered glass is used so that if broken, the pieces are blunt and mostly harmless.

Tempered Glass is also called SAFETY GLASS for this very reason...

So one of the important reasons they're used in cars - is so that occupants don't get sliced to ribbons if there's an accident and glass gets broken.

Rick

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Tempered glass is used when strength, thermal resistance, and safety are important considerations. ... Because large, sharp glass shards would present additional and unacceptable danger to passengers, tempered glass is used so that if broken, the pieces are blunt and mostly harmless.

So one of the important reasons they're used in cars - is so that occupants don't get sliced to ribbons if there's an accident and glass gets broken.

Rick

Yes. absolutely! (y)

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Rick
Never said it was the ONLY point....chill dude.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Without nitpicking:

You said it - not me. The whole point - could be construed to be the ONLY POINT.

So "chill dude"...

LOL

Rick
Maybe you should've asked, calm down...take a breath. Everything will be alright. Must be a former Honda driver or something lol.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Maybe you should've asked, calm down...take a breath. Everything will be alright. Must be a former Honda driver or something lol.
Simply stated a fact.

Former Honda driver - future Yukon driver - as soon as they start dealing on the '21's.

But I still stand by the FACT that tempered glass is used for safety reasons...

If I was any calmer, I'd be comatose...

Rick

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Simply stated a fact.

Former Honda driver - future Yukon driver - as soon as they start dealing on the '21's.

But I still stand by the FACT that tempered glass is used for safety reasons...

If I was any calmer, I'd be comatose...

Rick
I never disagreed lol.
But yep...Honda drivers are always too hyped up about everything....like crackheads.

Tyee

Reaction score
I had my windows tinted last week I inquired about getting the sun roof done, the guy doing the tint said that he wouldn’t do it because the glass in the sunroof was only good to about 120 degrees. We are in AZ so it would be a concern

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had my windows tinted last week I inquired about getting the sun roof done, the guy doing the tint said that he wouldn’t do it because the glass in the sunroof was only good to about 120 degrees. We are in AZ so it would be a concern
I'd be worried too. I'm in Las Vegas so it gets to be 120 Degrees here in the spring time lol. I still think putting some sort of tint on the outside would be the best idea.

Users who are viewing this thread