5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exploding/Shattered Panoramic Sunroof-2019 Ram 1500 Limited

rsan11

Reaction score
While I was driving from work, I heard a loud explosion that sounded like a tire blowout. There was no car in front of me and I was driving in an open area. I was driving around 35-40 MPH and the temperature was in the low 90s. I didn’t know what had happened, but I heard a wind noise from above (the sunroof cover was closed). I opened the cover and saw that the front portion of the sunroof shattered. There was no tree or rock that struck the sunroof. I immediately took the truck to the Ram dealership so that they can replace it under warranty. It took the dealership a long time to replace it because they got hit hard with COVID. I also took photos and sent it to Ram Care for a couple of reason. First, to let Ram know that they may have an issue. Two, to make sure that it’s covered under warranty, because dealerships have a tendency to say that it was a rock that caused it. The dealership did cover it under warranty. Hopefully this doesn’t happen to anyone, but if it does, contact Ram Care immediately, send photos to them and tell them of your incident. Ram Care helped me with my situation, advising me that the glass was ordered, when it arrived, contacted the dealership about the repairs. I suggest to google on panoramic sunroofs being shattered, the type of glass (tempered glass) being shattered, and how often it happens. All of the shattered sunroof look the same, like a volcano that erupted. An article by a glass expert stated that it’s virtually impossible for sunroof to be hit by a rock. It would have to come from directly above. Don’t let the dealerships con you. Hopefully this helped.

Attachments

• 5761C9E5-26D9-463B-8C34-3C66EF84059E.jpeg
    5761C9E5-26D9-463B-8C34-3C66EF84059E.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 639
  • 3DC065FF-41B5-4430-851C-8C7CE8C87F8F.jpeg
    3DC065FF-41B5-4430-851C-8C7CE8C87F8F.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 629
  • 638E6F31-8675-455D-8264-4605DDFE420B.jpeg
    638E6F31-8675-455D-8264-4605DDFE420B.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 627

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s been mentioned a few times. Seems like a pressure point exists on the pax right front corner and it can sometimes let go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rsan11

Reaction score
Most likely a glass defect. It happens across all makes of vehicles occasionally.
Yes, after I did some research on it, I was surprised on how often it happened. Hopefully it won’t happen again.

rsan11

Reaction score
It’s been mentioned a few times. Seems like a pressure point exists on the pax right front corner and it can sometimes let go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This may sound dumb, but can you elaborate on that. Pressure point coming from inside the truck pax right front or outside the truck? During my incident, I had all of the windows closed.

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
Several people have speculated that if you tint the sunroof, it builds up too much heat and will shatter the Pano. Not sure what the right answer is. I was reading it on here in a Tint thread a while back.

zlman

Reaction score
No sunroof but my rear driver side door window popped while sitting in my garage. Strangest thing. I was told, "bad glass", it happens.

dave g

Reaction score
While I was driving from work, I heard a loud explosion that sounded like a tire blowout. There was no car in front of me and I was driving in an open area. I was driving around 35-40 MPH and the temperature was in the low 90s. I didn’t know what had happened, but I heard a wind noise from above (the sunroof cover was closed). I opened the cover and saw that the front portion of the sunroof shattered. There was no tree or rock that struck the sunroof. I immediately took the truck to the Ram dealership so that they can replace it under warranty. It took the dealership a long time to replace it because they got hit hard with COVID. I also took photos and sent it to Ram Care for a couple of reason. First, to let Ram know that they may have an issue. Two, to make sure that it’s covered under warranty, because dealerships have a tendency to say that it was a rock that caused it. The dealership did cover it under warranty. Hopefully this doesn’t happen to anyone, but if it does, contact Ram Care immediately, send photos to them and tell them of your incident. Ram Care helped me with my situation, advising me that the glass was ordered, when it arrived, contacted the dealership about the repairs. I suggest to google on panoramic sunroofs being shattered, the type of glass (tempered glass) being shattered, and how often it happens. All of the shattered sunroof look the same, like a volcano that erupted. An article by a glass expert stated that it’s virtually impossible for sunroof to be hit by a rock. It would have to come from directly above. Don’t let the dealerships con you. Hopefully this helped.
Just happened to by 2019 Ram Rebel. Driving home and then front part of roof exploded.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Made sure my glass coverage included the pano roof it’s got to be expensive

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the heads up and letting us know your experience.

Reynk01

Reaction score
This happened to me today while driving. I assumed a rock may have hit the glass causing it to shatter, but I did not hear or see anything at all. Just a shotgun blast type sound and then wind and broken glass sounds. I pulled off the road and another vehicle also pulled off. His truck was hit by the glass but didn't cause any damage. He said he saw it blow "up" and did not see anything bounce off of my truck. I am going to work to get it repaired under warranty. I'll provide a follow up when the case is closed.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
This happened to me today while driving. I assumed a rock may have hit the glass causing it to shatter, but I did not hear or see anything at all. Just a shotgun blast type sound and then wind and broken glass sounds. I pulled off the road and another vehicle also pulled off. His truck was hit by the glass but didn't cause any damage. He said he saw it blow "up" and did not see anything bounce off of my truck. I am going to work to get it repaired under warranty. I'll provide a follow up when the case is closed.
Yikes. Hope they fix this under warranty.

Reynk01

Reaction score
Quick follow up. I took my truck to the locale Ram dealership and they replaced the glass in the sunroof under warranty. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. Just in case this was to happen again, I had clear ceramic tint applied to the full panoramic sunroof. The tint will help to reduce the heat and if the glass does break again, I am hoping the tint will keep the pieces together.

I also filed a safety report with the NHTSA just to make sure it was logged as a safety concern.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Several people have speculated that if you tint the sunroof, it builds up too much heat and will shatter the Pano. Not sure what the right answer is. I was reading it on here in a Tint thread a while back.
That actually makes sense....the solution would be to tint the outside of the glass instead of the inside. But would need some sort of weather proof tint film...

njt07

Reaction score
So after doing research tonight, it looks like the 3m chyrstalline cermic has a good TSER of 60% while staying much lighter than the other tints (like Xpel). I wonder if the tint is lighter it would absorb less heat and have less chance of shattering.

that or I saw a post on an acura forum where a guy put a mirror film on the outside of his pano roof and so far likes it.

Users who are viewing this thread