5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experienced RV Owners please provide feedback

Karls-a-Rebel

Reaction score
Thanks @devildodge

I am going to stick with probably a trailer like the Grand Design 2400BH. I think my plan is to try out "Truck life" for the next two years while leasing.. then after my lease ends, if I still think it's great I will buy a less equipped RAM with higher payload and then get my camper shortly after.

At least that's my plan for now, stay tuned in a few years :D

I looked at many trailers including Grand Design and ended up getting an ORV http://outdoorsrvmfg.com/ If you haven't checked these units out do so before making that final decision!

Karls-a-Rebel

Reaction score
Oh interesting..never heard of them, checking them out now though. What made you decide to get these trailers just curious...
There was something about the apparent build quality that initially caught my eye. So far my eye was spot on. The model I chose a 21RD has every feature that my wife and I needed, including great ground clearance, large tanks, 30lb LP tanks... the list goes on..... There is a great facebook group for this trailer almost everyone has great things to say about them. I have also learned that these trailers are really holding their value which is an added bonus.

fish mojo

Reaction score
I looked at many trailers including Grand Design and ended up getting an ORV http://outdoorsrvmfg.com/ If you haven't checked these units out do so before making that final decision!

Yes!! Outdoors RV trailers are so much better built than the rest I've seen. I've got the 21RBS on my list. I've been scared off getting the 2019 1500 Ram to pull this and have been shopping for 2500 Rams. Are you pulling yours with a 1500? What are your specs on the truck and how does it do towing?

Karls-a-Rebel

Reaction score
Yes!! Outdoors RV trailers are so much better built than the rest I've seen. I've got the 21RBS on my list. I've been scared off getting the 2019 1500 Ram to pull this and have been shopping for 2500 Rams. Are you pulling yours with a 1500? What are your specs on the truck and how does it do towing?

I have a 2019 1500 Crew Cab with a 5'7" box and tow package which includes the brake controller, tow mirrors and 3.92 rear which is rated to tow 11,000lbs. My trailer weighs out at 5000lb empty so with gear and food (no water) it probably weights out at 6500lbs, maybe less.

This truck has towed the trailer with ease. My only regret was not getting the larger gas tank (truck option) for my RAM. Gas mileage is what you can expect from a truck, (I guess) burning about 28 liters/100km or 8-9 mpg when towing and about 16 mpg (mostly city) when not towing. The engine is new, only 3000 miles, so I am hoping for better mileage by next summer.

Creep0321

Reaction score
We had a trailer for a few years but lost interest and finally just sold it but it was fun while it lasted, especially all those times salmon fishing. That was a 3150BH model with 2 slides, it was big but for it’s size, around 7600lbs dry wasn’t bad at all.

Personally, I wouldn’t have minded going smaller, maybe 27’. Towing a 31’ trailer for 4 hours is exhausting! By time you get into a campground, meander the tight roads and get it landed, you’ll need a beer! And if you don’t drink, you’ll start! ;)

Also, because we had a trailer that was over 28’, we couldn’t get certain spots and those certain spots were always the most desirable, like lakeside. Something to heavily consider.

I’ve learned that many people starting out with trailers go for the big ones. At the end of the day, no matter how big they are, they’ll seem small inside with a family dodging each other. In reality though, you’re not in the trailer much, you’re outside, where you should be. ;). The trailer is for sleeping.

Oh, one last thing. If you can get an outside kitchen, especially if it has a couple burners, sink and fridge, you’ll never go inside, except to sleep.
Do you have any recommendations on a smaller 24-26’ TT with an outdoor kitchen? Preferably on the lighter tongue weight side, and PREFERABLY with bunks for the kids? Thanks in advance.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We sold our Grand Design Reflection BH last August after having it for two years. Really nice camper had three slides. pulled it with a 2014 Ram 1500 with 3.92 rear Dif. had no issues what so ever! Ram has no problem at all. The weight was 8400 lbs. Our tow cap on the 14 Ram was 10100.Had a really good WDH that helped hitching up and pulling as well. Never towed much over 55 to 65 MPH will all tanks empty of course during tow.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have any recommendations on a smaller 24-26’ TT with an outdoor kitchen? Preferably on the lighter tongue weight side, and PREFERABLY with bunks for the kids? Thanks in advance.
Check out rvingplanet.com. Their advanced search will help quickly narrow down your search for a camper. I drove myself crazy trying to find the “perfect” model before I found that site. It can really simplify things.

Coyote

Reaction score
Ever look at a Lance travel trailer. Like the 2465 or 2375

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Unfortunately I cannot. I’ve been out of it for about 5 years and haven’t stayed up with the models. 5 years in the TT world is a lifetime with all the changes they make yearly. What worked best for my wife and I was going to shows and walking many RV dealer lots to figure out the floor plan we liked. From there it was searching manufacturers for similar plans, trailer weight and price.

trainman

Reaction score
I've been towing travel trailers for years and a minimum of 20% over kill would be where I would want to be and that's where I would start. I would not ask for help on making a decision on a new truck from sales personal at RV dealers, remember they just want to sell trailers and if it gets you off the lot that's pretty much all they care about. Purchasing a new tow vehicle will be the easy part of RV'ing, dealing with RV dealers will most likely do you in before it's all over with. You need to know the RV dealers are probably the worst places to buy just about anything, they lie, there service in most cases is terrible, and if you don't believe me just ask around. I know that new shinny trailer looks good on the outside, but it's what is hidden in the walls that tells the story, many are junk. Don't purchase anything that dealers sales personal say, our service department will take care of it later, later is in many cases means never. If you don't get anything form what I say, RV service is horrible. Ok, I made my point on RV dealers, since you are new to RV'ing I just wanted to give you some heads up on what you are in for. Do look at RV trailer resale values, most RV's depreciate 30-40% the first year for the standard box type trailer, Airstreams around 10% first year, and the fiberglass trailers like, Scamp, Casita, Escape, Bigfoot, and Oliver not ever 5% for the first year. I'm a fiberglass trailer guy, you can read about them and see why. My new Oliver is on order and setup for July delivery, yes you just can't go to the RV dealer and look at them, they are sold only at the manufacturing facility and will probably take 3-5 months to get one, check them out, the best trailer you can buy for quality, resale, and towing.

trainman

hawki8624

Reaction score
I chose to get a higher option bighorn over a larime or a limited due to the higher payload while sacraficing some of the options I didn't need anyway. I bought this truck specifically to tow my 7000 pound 31 foot tip to tail travel trailer.

Derwoodjones

Reaction score
I have the 2808BH Mesa Ridge Lite, This RV is below the maximums for my setup. I also added airbags from airlift co. so far, no issues. planning on a 2500 mile round trip in July. 25056

Users who are viewing this thread