5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expel Paint Protection Entire Truck

3corner

Reaction score
It so true what PATSY1099 said. There is cheaper way and options than wrapping your car. Only time will tell if this pays off for me. Hopefully after 8 years, when I pull off the wrap the truck is going to look brand new lol.

Caballonegro

Reaction score
Looks amazing! $3000 for material, I honestly thought the material would be cheaper than that.
well for a truck, the Velar was about $2100 in material. Expel has a 10 year warranty and also it is tough, way thicker than regualer wrap. She drove through winter with no worries whatsoever.

Caballonegro

Reaction score
Yes, you can repaint the car, but if you ask any detailer, they can tell what part of your car was repainted simply by running their hand over the paint. I also understand you don't need to wrap your entire vehicle, but I like the uniform look. Thats crazy I didn't know ceramic coat was now self healing, crazy the things company come up with to take our money lol.
I've seen on videos where it says the Ceramic coat with heat will self heal, I did notice a small rub mark on my front bumper where I accidentally bumped into when it was dirty totally disappear.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
I wrapped the rambox in PPF because I was already wrapping the entire car, I also leave most of my tools in the rambox, opening and closing the rambox, Im pretty sure Im going to leave alot of scratches.
What do you think cost materials for wrapping RamBoxes would be? Granted I already have a ceramic coating on; so that would need to be buffed off.

3corner

Reaction score
What do you think cost materials for wrapping RamBoxes would be? Granted I already have a ceramic coating on; so that would need to be buffed off.
I just texted the installer, he said tomorrow morning he will check the price for me. I will get back to you on that. I bought a bottle of adam ceramic booster, suppose to upkeep the ceramic coat, apply once a month when you wash your car.

3corner

Reaction score
The installer quote me $480 to only wrap the rambox. They would fold the wrap over the edge as well.

diamondmi

Reaction score
They can’t do ceramic coat under wrap; the film wouldn’t stick. So basically the plastic wrap has been ceramic coated.

My XPEL Ultimate Plus installer told me that it would cost roughly $5K to wrap the whole truck, but he was half-joking (I wasn’t looking to do that). So the OP’s pricing for full wrap, ceramic coat, and tint doesn’t surprise me.

fb3f39e5dff8bd8cd83b21bc82e55264.jpg

Just got this scratch on my hood after 3 days of owning my 2020. Would film have protected this from happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Waiting for my newly ordered 2020 Laramie Longhorn, Delmonico Red, chrome bumpers, 20” wheels, 5.7 V8 Hemi MDS VVT eTorque, 3.92 rear, all options except diesel, multifunction tailgate, protection group and trailer tow group. Interior Black/New Saddle. Looking forward to delivery. Truck arrived!!! Yes!

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After driving a subaru STI, with the worst paint on the planet, a rock chip or two doesn't bother me. I can see a case for PPF on the bumper and up the hood. Anywhere else me is just a waste of money. I can hit my truck with my Rupes polisher and handle just about anything that comes along.

Yea, I just did the high impact areas on the front end, Bumper/Grill/lower part of the hood. I would not want it on the hole truck even with a ten year warranty and coating they will yellow some after about 3-4 years. I have always been able to keep my vehicles looking like new for the 8-10 years I have them with regular washing and waxing even living in the salt belt.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Just got this scratch on my hood after 3 days of owning my 2020. Would film have protected this from happening?

Waiting for my newly ordered 2020 Laramie Longhorn, Delmonico Red, chrome bumpers, 20” wheels, 5.7 V8 Hemi MDS VVT eTorque, 3.92 rear, all options except diesel, multifunction tailgate, protection group and trailer tow group. Interior Black/New Saddle. Looking forward to delivery. Truck arrived!!! Yes!
If this was due to a stone or similar object hitting a panel, then yes - its likely PPF would have taken the damage instead of your paint.

geotex1

Reaction score
It's only money. You'll make more tomorrow!

You certainly will have a lot of protection but you really do need to appreciate that you can also have problems. I have been using Xpel film a long time, and I focus on high impact areas. It won't yellow, but it will look rough in high impact zones in 3-4years and you'll need to swap it out and that won't be warranty. You may also have problem with paint lift, and this is generally along the periphery of the aluminum body panels (hood). Also, the expense of ceramic coating on film is really throwing your money out the window! There is no chemical interaction with PPF like paint. It doesn't harm the Xpel PPF, just doesn't last, and some of the coatings really inhibit the minor self-healing of Xpel.

Using an acrylic spritz detailer after washing would give the depth at two orders of magnitude less cost.

I have different strategies for protecting paint on my various vehicles and camper. I don't believe one size fits all! Personally if I wanted full body protection, I'd probably do a full vinyl wrap over PPF. We have our company service trucks fully wrapped with our branding as rolling billboards, and the cost is $2500-4000 depending on regular bed or a utility body. When our lease cycles over every 3 years, the vinyl is stripped and paint it free of road rash! The damage from lack of good peripheral vision and judging clearance another story...

Enjoy your new RAM!!!

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Definitely. I do a lot of highway driving so for me PPF is a must. Drove my truck straight from the detailer and got the full hood, front end, and fenders done. Cost me about $2200 CDN.

Users who are viewing this thread