5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhuast is not loud enough

nicktisingh

Reaction score
Here is a video I made with and without my resonators on. I have a Borla Pro-xs (part # listed in video). There was zero drone with the resonators. Couldn't hear it back there unless you got on it, but hated that air noise.

You can here it without them while accelerating, but once you get to speed it goes away completely. Can't even tell when the MDS kicks in. From the outside, it finally sounds like a HEMI with just enough growl. Im very happy with it now.

Any drone with XS and resonator delete?

cipherbreak

Reaction score
Here is a video I made with and without my resonators on. I have a Borla Pro-xs (part # listed in video). There was zero drone with the resonators. Couldn't hear it back there unless you got on it, but hated that air noise.

You can here it without them while accelerating, but once you get to speed it goes away completely. Can't even tell when the MDS kicks in. From the outside, it finally sounds like a HEMI with just enough growl. Im very happy with it now.

Can you give me your honest opinion on the level of drone you have with that muffler and no resonators? I just bought a Pro XS but I’m debating whether to do a resonator delete as well.

manrig

Reaction score

This video actually has me a little worried. After agonizing over what muffler to select, I was pretty much ready to go 14" or 18" MF, which is a very similar design to the 14" Borla ProXS. I've listened to every video I could find with the MFs and have never heard the hissing/clicking/leaky sound that you can hear in this video. Now I'm worried that I will regret my choice. Due to cost, and wanting to keep things quieter (just a mellow low rumble), I was really set on the muffler swap only and keeping the resonators.

Is there a chance that the Borla yields more of the leaky sound than the MFs?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This video actually has me a little worried. After agonizing over what muffler to select, I was pretty much ready to go 14" or 18" MF, which is a very similar design to the 14" Borla ProXS. I've listened to every video I could find with the MFs and have never heard the hissing/clicking/leaky sound that you can hear in this video. Now I'm worried that I will regret my choice. Due to cost, and wanting to keep things quieter (just a mellow low rumble), I was really set on the muffler swap only and keeping the resonators.

Is there a chance that the Borla yields more of the leaky sound than the MFs?
That sound is from the resonators. Take the resonators off and it will go away, but also be louder. Somebody else here welded the weep holes up and that fixed it too but at some point it will rust out that way.

kipeharris

Reaction score
Can you give me your honest opinion on the level of drone you have with that muffler and no resonators? I just bought a Pro XS but I’m debating whether to do a resonator delete as well.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I am in the same position. I have a ProXS sitting in my garage waiting on me to install it. Did you end up keeping the resonators?

Can you give me a review?

Itsallgoodhh

Reaction score
After your deleted the resinators, did you have any check engine light issues? Just installed the carven muffler delete , and like most people say “ sounds good but” that damn exhaust leak sound from the resinator weep holes. I want to take them out but it’s a brand new truck, thoughts ?

_StangPGH

Reaction score
This latest gen also has a much quieter cabin so you're not hearing as much of the exhaust inside. After getting a B2 Fab Magnaflow kit and thinking it was quiet I was shocked at how good it sounded from the outside with someone else driving it by. Perfect volume for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This latest gen also has a much quieter cabin so you're not hearing as much of the exhaust inside. After getting a B2 Fab Magnaflow kit and thinking it was quiet I was shocked at how good it sounded from the outside with someone else driving it by. Perfect volume for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I felt the same way for a long time - hearing a shop tech drive it by for me let me realize how darn good it sounds from the outside!
Getting a chance to drive the truck with the windows down sounds great

puba08

Reaction score
I had the FM Outlaw on my 4 Gen and loved it. Just installed the Carven cut and clamp kit (w/tips) and it does not sound as loud as the FM at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

19TXLimited

Reaction score
I have posted this before, but I have the Borla Crate muffler made for a Chevy Hot 350 ATAK. I think the sound is great and plenty loud for my liking. I will finally be installing the resonator delete pipes and 5" tips from B2Fab this weekend. Here is a video of the truck cold start without resonators. I believe the sound will change some once the exhaust is flowing all the way to the rear of the truck and out the factory exit points, but I don't have any complaints about drone, etc. I think it's just right...now I just need a PC or the like to get that added throttle without having to mash the pedal.

This setup is muffler for $245 then install was $90 at local shop. Would have been a bit more had they removed resonators, but I decided to go B2Fab so I could easily go back to stock. I personally feel you MUST take the resonators off. They really took away from the sound and actually caused some drone. No drone now.

Users who are viewing this thread