5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhuast is not loud enough

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I owned a 2014 ram and had a 40 series flowmaster and it sounded nice and mean even at idle. With this 2019 rebel I installed the same but it was too quiet so I went with a louder one but it's still too quiet for my liking. Do these trucks have more restrictive resonators?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes the resonators quiet it down a lot because they are so large. I went with a Flowmaster Outlaw which is dsmn near a straight pipe and it was nowhere near loud enough. Ended up ripping it all out and installing a Carven catback. Get the shop to take the resonator out on each side and it will sound so much better. Others have had them removed and they loved the sound afterwards.

The resonators also give it a slight leaky sound due to the weepholes that becomes much more present after an aftermarket muffler. Take them out and you will be happy.

Cmoar

Reaction score
I owned a 2014 ram and had a 40 series flowmaster and it sounded nice and mean even at idle. With this 2019 rebel I installed the same but it was too quiet so I went with a louder one but it's still too quiet for my liking. Do these trucks have more restrictive resonators?
Oh I loved my 40 series on my ‘13! I just put the Borla Pro-XS on this truck, and the resonators will be getting removed tomorrow. I don’t like that air whoosh sound the make either, makes it sound almost like an exhaust leak to me.

SuperShortMag

Reaction score
These '19 are very quiet. I really like the sound of my '16. Just enough to have a little rumble and a little bark when you are on it. This new truck duals are totally for looks I guess

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Forgot to mention I had the 40 series on my 2013 Ram. The Super 10 on the 2019 was nowhere near as loud. If you want loud, you have to get the resonators out.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
The 19's are so much quieter stock because they have single exit mufflers, the 18's and older have dual exit mufflers making them have more of a rumble. The resonators may also be bigger but not by much.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 19's are so much quieter stock because they have single exit mufflers, the 18's and older have dual exit mufflers making them have more of a rumble. The resonators may also be bigger but not by much.
But I swapped out the muffler, so that doesn't make sense.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But I swapped out the muffler, so that doesn't make sense.
That doesnt change anything. The factory setup in the 2019s is single in single out, muffler then it splits via a Y pipe. 4th gens were single in, dual out mufflers. Look under your truck, even though you swapped it out, it was swapped with a single in, single out muffler.

That is not why it is so quiet though, the resonators quiet it down significantly.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Whoops read your thread wrong, I’ve heard some people say there is a small resonator behind the cat and in front of the muffler. That could be the reason.

Shaunt13

Reaction score
The biggest reason isnt the resonators (they do play a SLIGHT role) its the fact that they went with a single in single out design instead of the single in dual exit design of the 18's and older

Cmoar

Reaction score
Here is a video I made with and without my resonators on. I have a Borla Pro-xs (part # listed in video). There was zero drone with the resonators. Couldn't hear it back there unless you got on it, but hated that air noise.

You can here it without them while accelerating, but once you get to speed it goes away completely. Can't even tell when the MDS kicks in. From the outside, it finally sounds like a HEMI with just enough growl. Im very happy with it now.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is a video I made with and without my resonators on. I have a Borla Pro-xs (part # listed in video). There was zero drone with the resonators. Couldn't hear it back there unless you got on it, but hated that air noise.

You can here it without them while accelerating, but once you get to speed it goes away completely. Can't even tell when the MDS kicks in. From the outside, it finally sounds like a HEMI with just enough growl. Im very happy with it now.

Nice! U dont hear that suppressing sound anymore.

Justin232

Reaction score
I did a muffler delete on my ram last week. Sounded terrible and not loud enough because of the resonators, plus the leaking exhaust sound... Deleted those and now it sounds amazing and super loud!

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did a muffler delete on my ram last week. Sounded terrible and not loud enough because of the resonators, plus the leaking exhaust sound... Deleted those and now it sounds amazing and super loud!
I was told that a muffler delete was bad for the 5.7 Hemis due to no back pressure. That's a tuning shop told me.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
If they knew anything about engines they would know "back pressure" is a not a desirable thing. What happens when you put a less restrictive exhaust on a vehicle?.....The power levels go up. Doesn't make any sense to say an engine needs to have pressure against the exhaust valves.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If they knew anything about engines they would know "back pressure" is a not a desirable thing. What happens when you put a less restrictive exhaust on a vehicle?.....The power levels go up. Doesn't make any sense to say an engine needs to have pressure against the exhaust valves.
They said it was good for high rpm but bad for low end. Idk.. I know nothing.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Instead of back pressure, we should be talking about flow volume. The smallest exhaust that doesn't restrict exhaust flow volume is ideal, as this will ensure maximum velocity. It's an optimization problem: too small = bad, but too big also = bad.

The factory exhaust may be just a bit restrictive due to packaging constraints, sound control, cost, limited engineering/testing time, etc. A well-engineered aftermarket exhaust can improve upon the factory system.

A quick Google search yielded an article that explains this better than I am:

Flow velocity is important in exhaust pipe design. Exhaust gases are emitted in pulses. One pulse every exhaust stroke. Small pipes yield a high flow velocity. High flow velocity increases inertia of the flowing gas and smooths out the stop / start nature of gas pushed out by the engine. As the gas continues to flow between exhaust strokes, it creates a low pressure at the exhaust manifold which helps to suck out exhaust gases on the next exhaust stroke. This reduces the energy required to clear the cylinder of exhaust and re-accelerate the gas residing in the exhaust pipe already, thus reducing the energy wasted pushing out exhaust and improving the efficiency of the engine. Further, smaller exhaust pipes means the mass of gas held within is less. This translates to less energy required accelerating the mass of gas in the exhaust pipe with each exhaust stroke. Again engine efficiency is improved.

Smaller exhaust pipes present a greater resistance to steady state flow. So smaller isn’t necessarily better either. It’s a compromise between resistance to flow, flow velocity and mass of gas residing in the pipe. There is a sweet spot. An optimal compromise. The manufacturer’s design is based on this optimum. A bigger exhaust pipe isn’t necessarily better. Even without any understanding of exhaust physics, the proof is that manufacturers do not exploit bigger exhausts to improve performance. Why else wouldn’t they? Imagine how much extra metal is involved in a slightly bigger pipe. Not much, and steel is cheap. Manufactures don’t increase exhaust size because it doesn’t universally improve performance or efficiency.

The optimal exhaust size is a function of exhaust volume. The greater the exhaust volume, the greater the optimal exhaust size. Exhaust volume increases with engine rpm and fuel delivery. So ideally you’d have a variable sized exhaust pipe that increases in size as rpm and fuel injection quantity increases. For a fixed exhaust pipe size then you need to pick a compromise. The manufacturer does this – they will pick an exhaust size that is somewhere in the middle, optimized for the rpm when the engine develops it’s maximum torque and optimised to deliver the greatest area under the power curve. This will provide the greatest possible torque whilst maximising average power over the entire power curve. Maximum torque and low rpm performance are favoured because this is what makes the biggest impact for normal day to day driving.

A larger exhaust changes the shape of the power curve. It makes it more peaky, but the area under the curve is reduced. Average power is less but peak power is more. This will present as an extra couple of kW of peak power on a dyno run as it provides lower resistance at peak exhaust volume. However, looking at the entire rev range, the larger exhaust has deviated from the optimal size and average power over the full rpm range will be reduced. Maximum torque may be less and low rpm will produce less power. Fuel efficiency will also be worse, since most of the time your engine operates in the bottom half of its rev range.

Users who are viewing this thread