5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust recommendations

Marko1912

Reaction score
Looking for a good sounding exhaust for my 2020 Big Horn...Not looking to wake the neighborhood though. I come home from work pretty early in the morning. Just want a good sounding idle and want to hear it wake up during acceleration.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's the exhaust I have, and I really like it. Sounds better at idle than stock. Not really louder, just sounds better to me. My neighbor says I never wake her up in the mornings when I start it up. But it really wakes up when I get on it.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On my Gen 1 Rebel I had a Borla XR1 muffler, the rest of the exhaust system was stock (resonators and all).
I LOVED that sound, the borla sound profile is beautiful - and I felt bad on frozen nights with cold starts. :LOL:
I actually started parking further away and walking to avoid waking the dead. Sounded awesome! Loud.

Coming from that the stock exhaust on the Gen 2 rebel was unlivably quiet. Couldn't do it.
The sound of the Hemi is one of my life's enjoyments, it really is. Borla hadn't come out with their unit yet, but magnaflow did.

I went with the magnaflow, and part of me felt it was too quiet, on some days I miss the XR1 - but the cold starts were ferocious.
Now that it's cold out, when I have to run out at night I think I made the right choice!
I did some measuring and found out why. The Magnaflow system uses their 22in muffler. IIRC their main mufflers are a 14in, 18in, and 22in.
The magnaflow is "Big mellow", it's a distant thundercloud.
You still know you're driving a hemi, if you get on it you'll hear it better on the highway - but it hits a volume ceiling and stops. The cold starts are not "Michael Bay" territory :LOL:

I really do believe this is the exhaust system to get if you want to enjoy the truck, let the hemi breathe better, BUT you like your neighbors, and/or the wife won't like loud either, etc.

I would love to hear a borla touring (with resonator) side by side with a magnaflow.
I believe we had a guy on this board who had the borla Touring and the Borla S-type say that the S-type is louder, but the cold starts are comparable.

Kenny4

Reaction score
Just put the B2 oval moderate on a 21 Bighorn. To me, (subjective ), I like it better in tow/haul mode as it comes alive at the first shifts without having to get on it.

Notro

Reaction score
Any recommendations for sites with decent pricing on exhaust? I found 4wheelparts.com to be pretty reasonable, but have never dealt with them. Just looking for any of your guys favorite sites that I might not know of...👍

Kenny4

Reaction score
B-2 Fab I believe is a site sponsor, as their ad is in the right margin on this page. Securityguy gave me a discount code for 10%, so I bought directly from them and total delivered price was like $256

Ram Dude

Reaction score
I installed Borla S-Type full cat-back and while I love it (no denying that sound) I probably could've gone with the quieter Touring. Cold start on S-Type is incredible. Hear the rumble in cabin but in a good way, not too loud. So as I'm typing this not sure if I could actually go down from S-Type after having 😂.

Ram Dude

Reaction score
Think exhaust was around $1,100 and labor around $200, so wasn't cheap, but you get what you pay for i.e. ZERO DRONE.

Ram Dude

Reaction score
Neighbor across street has one of those fancy, expensive BMW X6Ms with the flat black paint, etc. and his exhaust is as loud if not louder than mine 😂. Also have trucks of various exhaust notes, so it'd be hard to target any one particular owner, so I'm not too worried about neighbor complaints...I'm mean it's Texas for crying out loud 😂.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Neighbor across street has one of those fancy, expensive BMW X6Ms with the flat black paint, etc. and his exhaust is as loud if not louder than mine 😂. Also have trucks of various exhaust notes, so it'd be hard to target any one particular owner, so I'm not too worried about neighbor complaints...I'm mean it's Texas for crying out loud 😂.
Apparently it's not important to be on good terms with your neighbors in Texas :LOL:

The neighbor I mentioned in my post isn't just my neighbor, she's also my aunt. So I guess you could say I'm trying to keep peace in the family LOL

I've had my share of loud exhausts on previous vehicles, and they were fun and cool and all that. I guess I'm just not as into that anymore, and would rather be able to carry on a conversation without straining to hear people who don't talk as loudly as I do LOL

Ram Dude

Reaction score
I know you're being funny but by "...it's Texas..." I was referring to the fact that most everyone in neighborhood has large trucks/SUVs (which are typically louder than sedans).

The S-Type is not so loud inside cabin that you can't carry on conversation.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
My generic phone app readings on the full magnaflow exhaust:

I wanted the borla touring but still too loud on cold starts with a resonator. Even the magnaflow full exhaust can be too loud when cold because of neighbors and backing up to the garage.

I strongly suggest a full exhaust, the extra volume by larger diameter helps mellow and keep a lower tone and eliminating further rasp. Also, the factory weep hole exhaust leak sound bothers me.

Notro

Reaction score
I installed Borla S-Type full cat-back and while I love it (no denying that sound) I probably could've gone with the quieter Touring. Cold start on S-Type is incredible. Hear the rumble in cabin but in a good way, not too loud. So as I'm typing this not sure if I could actually go down from S-Type after having 😂.
Did you consider the Borla ATAK? I'm kind of torn between the two...

Ram Dude

Reaction score
I personally wouldn’t go any higher/louder than S-Type, but to each his/her own 👍🏾

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Absolutely love my Borla ATAK... highly recommend, no drone and very aggressive when you want it to be.

Smashius

Reaction score
+1 for the Borla ATAK.

I was on the fence between the S-Type and the ATAK, and I'm really glad I went ATAK. It's super behaved when you want it to be, but quite aggressive when you stomp the pedal.

No drone, and your right foot controls the noise level at any speed.

Heisrizn

Reaction score
Any recommendations for sites with decent pricing on exhaust? I found 4wheelparts.com to be pretty reasonable, but have never dealt with them. Just looking for any of your guys favorite sites that I might not know of...👍
Mssg Dennis. He'll take care of you. Price on the Borla S from him was like $920 shipped. I didn't buy the exhaust yet but did get a slew of other parts. Let him know Matt B sent you.

Smashius

Reaction score
That's a great deal.

I got my Borla system for $940 shipped from Performance Truck Products.

Users who are viewing this thread