5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Rattle

vanislrammer

Reaction score
I started my truck today on my way to the airport and immediately heard quite the rattle. I revved the engine a little and the rattle picked up. It sounded like it was coming from under the truck so I guessed the exhaust and when I looked under I noticed where the exhaust pipes are joined it looks to be coming apart. On top of that, the bolts don’t have nuts on them. I’m assuming (or hoping) that the holes are threaded because they are still there. But I also see moisture coming out from there.

In the pictures you can see light coming through the connection and I tried to show how I can mow those gaskets back and forth since it’s not tight.

Unfortunately like I said I was on my way to the airport (took my wife’s car instead) so I will have to deal with this when I get home in a couple weeks.

My question is, can I just tighten these bolts and I’m fine? Do those bolts need nuts? Am I just plain wrong and the noise is coming from somewhere else? (Can’t see that being true).

Thanks in advance.
J

Attachments

• IMG_9307.jpeg
    IMG_9307.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9308.jpeg
    IMG_9308.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9309.jpeg
    IMG_9309.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9310.jpeg
    IMG_9310.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 37

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I started my truck today on my way to the airport and immediately heard quite the rattle. I revved the engine a little and the rattle picked up. It sounded like it was coming from under the truck so I guessed the exhaust and when I looked under I noticed where the exhaust pipes are joined it looks to be coming apart. On top of that, the bolts don’t have nuts on them. I’m assuming (or hoping) that the holes are threaded because they are still there. But I also see moisture coming out from there.

In the pictures you can see light coming through the connection and I tried to show how I can mow those gaskets back and forth since it’s not tight.

Unfortunately like I said I was on my way to the airport (took my wife’s car instead) so I will have to deal with this when I get home in a couple weeks.

My question is, can I just tighten these bolts and I’m fine? Do those bolts need nuts? Am I just plain wrong and the noise is coming from somewhere else? (Can’t see that being true).

Thanks in advance.
J
That’s a common problem area on our trucks. There is no nut, as on flange is threaded so all you need is a bolt. The bolts break inside. When mine broke I had an exhaust leak as well. You’d be able to hear it and feel it with your hand if that bolt broke.

The sound could also be just a loose part such as the exhaust manifold heat shields.

Shadow14

Reaction score
Mine had a gap on one bolt where the pipe goes into the muffler. Broke the bolt off trying to tighten it. I ended up drilling it out on the threaded side and replaced it with a bolt and nut. Better than original.

Users who are viewing this thread