5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust options

gilla81

Reaction score
I really like the sound of the Borla cat back exhaust systems. Not having any drone is a big deal for me, and I know Borla has a great reputation. Do they only offer a cat back exhaust? Is their an option just to replace the muffler? I like my factory black exhaust tips, and just recently had them ceramic coated, so I don't want to replace them. I am looking for a cost effective way to beef up the rumble of the V8 just a little bit. The stock exhaust is a little too quiet for me. I think the Borla Touring or maybe even the S might be good options for me. Thanks in advance for your help. I apologize for this extreme newbie question, but I don't know a lot about exhaust systems, just that I like the one's that have a nice V8 rumble to them.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I really like the sound of the Borla cat back exhaust systems. Not having any drone is a big deal for me, and I know Borla has a great reputation. Do they only offer a cat back exhaust? Is their an option just to replace the muffler? I like my factory black exhaust tips, and just recently had them ceramic coated, so I don't want to replace them. I am looking for a cost effective way to beef up the rumble of the V8 just a little bit. The stock exhaust is a little too quiet for me. I think the Borla Touring or maybe even the S might be good options for me. Thanks in advance for your help. I apologize for this extreme newbie question, but I don't know a lot about exhaust systems, just that I like the one's that have a nice V8 rumble to them.

Borla does sell just the mufflers as well, but then you will absolutely get drone.

You need a full system that is tuned to prevent the drone from happening in 4-cylinder mode. There is a reason why the stock muffler is shaped like a big oil drum. You want that louder sound from a smaller muffler, you will introduce drone if that's all you change. The full systems tune the piping and resonators to work with the muffler and reduce drone even in MDS mode.

I personally just turn off my MDS and run the muffler I want, sounds amazing and no drone since my truck doesn't go into MDS mode. They all cost about the same when it comes to just mufflers (about $100 or so), about $200 - $275 installed by a good muffler shop. But the Borla full systems are going to be in the $800 - $1000 or so depending on the seller and sometimes sales, not including installation.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Borla does sell just the mufflers as well, but then you will absolutely get drone.

You need a full system that is tuned to prevent the drone from happening in 4-cylinder mode. There is a reason why the stock muffler is shaped like a big oil drum. You want that louder sound from a smaller muffler, you will introduce drone if that's all you change. The full systems tune the piping and resonators to work with the muffler and reduce drone even in MDS mode.

I personally just turn off my MDS and run the muffler I want, sounds amazing and no drone since my truck doesn't go into MDS mode. They all cost about the same when it comes to just mufflers (about $100 or so), about $200 - $275 installed by a good muffler shop. But the Borla full systems are going to be in the $800 - $1000 or so depending on the seller and sometimes sales, not including installation.
+1 for disabling MDS. It just ruins the beautiful exhaust note of a good muffler.

ScottChurch

Reaction score
I don’t know if you have the e torque or not, but if you don’t I would recommend looking at the borla xr1 muffler.

I ordered just the muffler and then took it to my local muffler shop for the install (only cost about $80 for install). I left the stock resonators in place and I think it sounds great. It has a nice rumble when I get on it, but if I am cruising then it becomes quiet with no drone at all. Keep in mind I don’t have the e torque though.

gilla81

Reaction score
I don’t know if you have the e torque or not, but if you don’t I would recommend looking at the borla xr1 muffler.

I ordered just the muffler and then took it to my local muffler shop for the install (only cost about $80 for install). I left the stock resonators in place and I think it sounds great. It has a nice rumble when I get on it, but if I am cruising then it becomes quiet with no drone at all. Keep in mind I don’t have the e torque though.

I do have the e torque. Does that make a big difference? It can easily be turned off. Thanks for sharing this info, I’ll check it out.

Venom700

Reaction score
Just got the Borla touring with the resonator installed today. Sounds great so far and I can easily guess as to why those without the resonator would claim it’s too loud. It’s a truck not a Charger/Challenger, so it shouldn’t be too loud in my opinion.

ScottChurch

Reaction score
I do have the e torque. Does that make a big difference? It can easily be turned off. Thanks for sharing this info, I’ll check it out.
I believe there was one other member who did the same setup (borla xr1) and he did have e torque. They stated that it only droned while in 4 cylinder mode. So it could still be an option.

VdMer

Reaction score
For what it's worth, which is roughly 1k...I had the Mopar Performance Exhaust installed (Plus 5" tips, which I think neutralize things a bit vs stock). I have eTorque. The only drone I noticeably experience (which can be subjective) is on the highway usually in +70 MPH range. Frankly, I think most after-markets will have this effect to varying degrees. At in town speeds, when the eco kicks in or on downshifts...I actually like the subtle rumble it produces, but that's me. There is so much subjectivity in going down this path...that one person's likes are another dislikes.

ExT

Reaction score
Although I can’t help with other exhaust systems, I have had the Borla S Type installed on my truck this week and it sounds great. I did also do some research for the best price before pulling trigger and ended up ordering with Elite Race Fab. They charge no sale tax and free shipping. Because their distributor is located right here in DFW (Arlington) so I got it delivered the next day. Here’s the link

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can get the Borla systems with the 5" black tips which look so much better than the factory 4" tip. They just fill the space in the bumper so much better. I have the ATAK with black tips and love it. No dronez can barely tell when MDS kicks in at any speed. Full stainless steel system with warranty. Which is where a lot of the cost comes in.

MeOff

Reaction score
I installed Borla S Cat Back w/5" chrome tips on my 2019 Ram 5.7 in Sept 2020. Absolutely love the low rumble sound. Reminds me of the ole' muscle cars of my youth! No drone at any speed and not very obtrusive at cold start. Installed myself in about two hours. Rented a bay at local DIY Shop for $40/hr. Bought thru Amazon. $900+. Do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online