5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust manifold leak

jc312

Reaction score
Shocker, right? Lol

I've been doing some casual research in the past about my 2020, what issues to look for, etc.

Sure enough, mine has developed an exhaust leak at right under 49,000 miles, coming from the passenger side. Once it warms up, the leak "disappears" When it's cold, you can clearly hear it.

Watched a vid on swapping to shorty headers, mainly just to see the procedure. Looks pretty easy. But when I went out to take a second look at mine, realized the air suspension might/might not pose a challenge. It just looks like it might interfere with clearances. Figured I'd ask on here if it does or doesn't.

Also have read how there's a possibility of removing, brazing the crack (if it is indeed cracked, and re-installing. Thoughts?

Thanks for any help

Shorties are prone to weld breaks, and some offer any performance gains on a stock truck. Do a search on exhaust manifold leaks in the forum. You’ll find tons of info

I’ve dealt with that issue twice in the past. Other shorties did very little if anything to help performance. The passenger side swap should go smoothly. It’s the driver side that’s the headache. Also, there most likely will be bolts stuck in the head that you’ll have to extract.

Since it doesn’t actually cause any issues besides the tick, I stopped worrying about it and let it go until it got pretty loud. Seems like one or two bolts would break not too long after they were replaced. I know Mopar moved to stronger bolts, but that just causes the stock manifolds to crack more often.

Appreciate all the replies. I am planning on going to the dealership to see if it's covered. I did pay an extra $30/month for extended warranty, but the couple times I've been back in there they act kinda shady, so wanted to be a little more informed before I went in. I did buy it used with only 10k miles, but it's been a nice truck so far.
Hoping they will replace them for me under warranty. The 8 year/80k mile thing is interesting. Which sticker to look for?
Thanks again everyone, I'll let yall know how it goes

Appreciate all the replies. I am planning on going to the dealership to see if it's covered. I did pay an extra $30/month for extended warranty, but the couple times I've been back in there they act kinda shady, so wanted to be a little more informed before I went in. I did buy it used with only 10k miles, but it's been a nice truck so far.
Hoping they will replace them for me under warranty. The 8 year/80k mile thing is interesting. Which sticker to look for?
Thanks again everyone, I'll let yall know how it goes
Manifolds are not covered by the 8 year emissions warranty

1729644773283.png

BD Diesel will be your best bet
Why? We don't have any long term proof they will last any longer than oem or shorty's(the one so many people raved about until they sucked too).

His may still be covered by powertrain.

Why? We don't have any long term proof they will last any longer than oem or shorty's(the one so many people raved about until they sucked too).

His may still be covered by powertrain.
It seems to most that BD manifolds are better quality and have improvements over the stock ones. Haven’t heard anything negative about them yet. They also have a 75,000 warranty

Just watched a vid on YT that had the upper rear manifold bolt snapped off (passenger side) Sounds very similar to mine. They just removed the broken bolt and replaced the bolts and gasket.

Many comments suggested they should have machined the manifold flat, which makes sense. I have a piece of granite countertop I use for sanding parts flat. Hopefully won't have to worry about any of it and Ram takes care of it. But does seem like it might just be a broken bolt

Keep us updated as several owners have had or will have the same issue. Mileage varies yet yours in on the younger end.
I'd think the power train may cover it. The extended molar should, it's not a "wear out" part like brakes, belts or wipers.

I too believe that I have an exhaust manifold issue on my 2020 Ram with 76000 miles on it. I've been hearing a small tick, and my MPG has shot down as of late. Only getting 13 mpg on the highway. Does anyone have any experience buying the shorty headers from BBK? A mechanic buddy of mine suggested that over the BD Diesel replacement as he thought the BD Diesel one would be more susceptible to cracking again.

I too believe that I have an exhaust manifold issue on my 2020 Ram with 76000 miles on it. I've been hearing a small tick, and my MPG has shot down as of late. Only getting 13 mpg on the highway. Does anyone have any experience buying the shorty headers from BBK? A mechanic buddy of mine suggested that over the BD Diesel replacement as he thought the BD Diesel one would be more susceptible to cracking again.

Could work. With shorties you take a chance of cracked welds, uneven surfaces, and more heat under the hood. So you may have to wrap them since the heat shields wont fit.

Hard to say what the right answer is honestly.

Could work. With shorties you take a chance of cracked welds, uneven surfaces, and more heat under the hood. So you may have to wrap them since the heat shields wont fit.

Hard to say what the right answer is honestly.
Gotcha, ya I didn't know to much about these things so i'm just trying to find the best possible fix so I dont have to deal with this issue again. I've seen a lot of ppl post about the BD Diesel manifolds too.

Gotcha, ya I didn't know to much about these things so i'm just trying to find the best possible fix so I dont have to deal with this issue again. I've seen a lot of ppl post about the BD Diesel manifolds too.
I was thinking the same thing if mine cracked. Might as well upgrade to shorties, but after reading about it, it seems just as bad. I’ll prob go BD also when the time comes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back