5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Manifold Leak

Reaction score
Just purchased at 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi with under 70k miles from my local Ram dealer used. Noticed a ticking on a cold start in the first days that I had it, and started looking into forms. I seen it is a major issue and recently had my Ram inspected for a cracked manifold problem. Just got the bad news today both manifolds are cracked and need replacing. They said that it is going to be a month to two months to get the parts which is insane, and 5 people are ahead of me for the same replacement. I think the extended warranty that I purchased will cover the replacement. Warranty is through SouthWest warranty, anyone dealt with them? Pretty disappointed that the certified dealer sold it to me in this condition. I will not be returning to them for any future purchases.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Frustrating start to a relationship with your new rig, but even with these minor and temporary flaws it’s still the best truck in its class. I recently had to accept a company truck as my daily driver. 2018 f150 platinum. Every time I get back into my Ram I am amazed at how much nicer it is than the Ford in just about every aspect.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I tried to place an order for new manifolds last night. I received a response that my estimated wait time is 21 weeks.

My AFE headers (set no. 2) have now failed at the welds again. I’m thinking their material is too thin given the nature of the forces on these manifolds/headers. The steel always fails at the edge of the weld on the back cylinders. IMG_9292.jpeg

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tried to place an order for new manifolds last night. I received a response that my estimated wait time is 21 weeks.

My AFE headers (set no. 2) have now failed at the welds again. I’m thinking their material is too thin given the nature of the forces on these manifolds/headers. The steel always fails at the edge of the weld on the back cylinders. View attachment 167025
Thanks for the info

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just wanted to say wow- I had no idea exhaust manifolds got that hot! Just not something I've actually looked into.

Vulpes

Reaction score
Just wanted to say wow- I had no idea exhaust manifolds got that hot! Just not something I've actually looked into.
Oh yeah, ouchy hot. Years ago, I was changing plugs on a hot engine, (engine was off), and accidentally laid my palm on a still hot header tube, and it made one huge burn, medium rare I'd say.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I got some good news today. My manifolds should arrive next week after getting expedited by my local dealer.

I will check the flanges to make certain that they are true/flat at the face before I bolt them to the heads. If they are warped I will report back and get them decked.

Check out this video of a set of our manifolds getting repaired. He notes that the manifold he is repairing is warped.

Mig-Brazing Ram 1500 Cast Iron Exhaust Manifolds

Mainah

Reaction score
I just had my driver side manifold finally crack (passenger side was replaced last year and I've been waiting for this one to go as well), got it in before the powertrain warranty expired in a few thousand miles. Dealership is telling me RAM only releases one per week to them and mine should arrive sometime in the fall of 2024 based on their current backlog. I know all vehicles have issues but this is the second part from FCA that is going to take over a year to get, last time was a water pump. It's my first RAM and at the rate this one has been in the shop it's likely my last.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So I got one of my manifolds in today at the dealer. When I opened the box for the manifold kit that had the “AB” series part number I noticed that the casting is still an “AA”.

I checked the flange side of the casting and it is machined flat. No warp. View attachment 168711 View attachment 168712
Someone on another manifold thread posted side by side pics of old and new. The new still has AA in casting but is actually cast different than old one. I think the AB part number, is because it comes with the tie bars, that didn't used to come on them.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I got one of my manifolds in today at the dealer. When I opened the box for the manifold kit that had the “AB” series part number I noticed that the casting is still an “AA”.

I checked the flange side of the casting and it is machined flat. No warp. View attachment 168711 View attachment 168712
The AB is the kit.
My kit came with the AA manifold, looked pretty much the same as the old one

6of36

Reaction score
The AB is the kit.
My kit came with the AA manifold, looked pretty much the same as the old one
From the pictures in the other post, there are subtle differences. They are slightly thicker. The old ones, the indent at the bolts is more round, but the new design, it is a wider deeper recess to accommodate the thicker casting. Aftermarket manifold??

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
From the pictures in the other post, there are subtle differences. They are slightly thicker. The old ones, the indent at the bolts is more round, but the new design, it is a wider deeper recess to accommodate the thicker casting. Aftermarket manifold??
I did not take a side by side comparison picture unfortunately.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
hoping for the new ones. replaced one side last year and now both sides are cracked. again just under the 6 year 50k powertrain warranty (i am at 4 years and 44k). just waiting for Mopar parts. dealer has no idea when.

6of36

Reaction score
hoping for the new ones. replaced one side last year and now both sides are cracked. again just under the 6 year 50k powertrain warranty (i am at 4 years and 44k). just waiting for Mopar parts. dealer has no idea when.
At least this time you will get the new design. Of course time will tell how much better they are.

dan_osms.io

Reaction score
Finally checked my paperwork.

The TSB calls for 68591572-AA (RH Exhaust Manifold Kit) and they used 68591572-AB. So maybe there was another update to the manifold part number since the TSB came out?
Can you throw the link to the TSB ? I am currently looking at a 2020 1500 RAM, and these leaks are making me pause a bit.

I wonder if anyone who has endeavored to take the OEM collector off before any failure and just see if the part needs to be decked to remove strain.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread