5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Manifold Cracked

compadian

Reaction score
Truck has been at the dealer since yesterday, they only found the driver side manifold cracked, the one side i checked myself, they say the passenger side is fine. Should be getting truck back today. Hopefully won't occur again, but if it does, i'll keep sending to dealer until warranty expires, after it expires i will be getting aftermarket headers.

Fletcher

Reaction score
So for a while I would always hear a ticking sound on startup and sometimes acceleration, me reading the forums I was convinced it was just a hemi tick and not expecting the worse case scenario of a exhaust leak. This week I was already irritated of the sound and decided to check out what the noise was and to my disappointment, my freakin exhaust manifold is literally cracked in half. I have a 2019 with only 26k miles! Anyone else has had to change their manifold out? Did dealer give you problems?
My 2021 1500 5.7 with 48K on it just developed the tick. My dealer said its most likely a cracked manifold. Can anyone tell me what causes this?

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 2021 1500 5.7 with 48K on it just developed the tick. My dealer said its most likely a cracked manifold. Can anyone tell me what causes this?

Heat. The metal twists as it gets hot. One theory is that using MDS before the engine is at temp can exacerbate this issue as some pistons get hotter than others, dunno.

But nothing you can really do other than replace it with shorty or long tube headers which are better built.

stancedeuros

Reaction score
Mine is going in next week for a cracked manifold. I took a few cold start videos for the tech to confirm in case it was warmed up enough when I drop if off for the appt. I'm hoping they have parts in stock as this is a large volume dealer. I saw recently where another owner had his swapped under warranty same day. Hoping for the best, but expecting a couple of days at worst.

Sigep924

Reaction score
Mine is going in next week for a cracked manifold. I took a few cold start videos for the tech to confirm in case it was warmed up enough when I drop if off for the appt. I'm hoping they have parts in stock as this is a large volume dealer. I saw recently where another owner had his swapped under warranty same day. Hoping for the best, but expecting a couple of days at worst.
Both mine are cracked and was told there was like 6800 units backordered nationally! I'm seriously considering just putting headers on it because it doesn't sound like it'll get fixed anytime soon.

ajosephngs

Reaction score
Mine had a broken manifold bolt that ticked on cold start. It was a pretty easy fix for the shop and covered under warranty just before my warranty ran out. I found it by blowing a shop vac up the exhaust and spraying soapy water around the manifold. Seems like a common problem.

stancedeuros

Reaction score
Both mine are cracked and was told there was like 6800 units backordered nationally! I'm seriously considering just putting headers on it because it doesn't sound like it'll get fixed anytime soon.
Have you started looking at which headers you might want? I don't need anything crazy and I would rather keep my exhaust stock as I pull a camper with my pup in the bed with a softopper.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah they fixed the original fix (broken manifold bolts) so now the manifolds themselves crack in the middle :(

Just put long-tubes on :p

stancedeuros

Reaction score
Got mine in the shop and showed them the cold start videos from the past 3 mornings. They immediately agreed to have a tech look at it and get the parts on order. Came back with the passenger manifold cracked. Super quick appt, and my parts are ETA of two weeks which I don't think is terrible. They confirmed that the drivers side is good to go, and also confirmed that Mopar warranty part comes with new bolts to be installed all under powertrain.

Brando14

Reaction score
After some quick research it seems like my 2020 Rebel (40k miles) has developed a cracked passenger manifold as well. Have an appt for Thursday at the dealer but i'm sure ill also get told that they'll have to order parts. I was planning on taking a 6 hour trip this weekend. How worried should I be about the crack getting worse?

stancedeuros

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. Mine has been making some noise for awhile(VERY LOUD). My son jokingly asked if I had a diesel. When they ordered the parts immediately, they didn't mention to not drive it, or baby it, or anything like that. If it continues to crack, it just gets louder.

Reaction score
Just purchased at 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi with under 70k miles from my local Ram dealer used. Noticed a ticking on a cold start in the first days that I had it, and started looking into forms. I seen it is a major issue and recently had my Ram inspected for a cracked manifold problem. Just got the bad news today both manifolds are cracked and need replacing. They said that it is going to be a month to two months to get the parts which is insane, and 5 people are ahead of me for the same replacement. I think the extended warranty that I purchased will cover the replacement. Warranty is through SouthWest warranty, anyone dealt with them? Pretty disappointed that the certified dealer sold it to me in this condition. I will not be returning to them for any future purchases.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Just purchased at 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi with under 70k miles from my local Ram dealer used. Noticed a ticking on a cold start in the first days that I had it, and started looking into forms. I seen it is a major issue and recently had my Ram inspected for a cracked manifold problem. Just got the bad news today both manifolds are cracked and need replacing. They said that it is going to be a month to two months to get the parts which is insane, and 5 people are ahead of me for the same replacement. I think the extended warranty that I purchased will cover the replacement. Warranty is through SouthWest warranty, anyone dealt with them? Pretty disappointed that the certified dealer sold it to me in this condition. I will not be returning to them for any future purchases.
Did the dealer give you any type of warranty when you bought the truck? They should've given you something even if it was for a month or 90 days. Not sure about aftermarket warranties but I believe they consider it to be part of the power train coverage. If it's under the dealer supplied warranty then get an appointment on the books as soon as you can so even if you have to wait 6 months they knew about it within the warranty time

Reaction score
Did the dealer give you any type of warranty when you bought the truck? They should've given you something even if it was for a month or 90 days. Not sure about aftermarket warranties but I believe they consider it to be part of the power train coverage. If it's under the dealer supplied warranty then get an appointment on the books as soon as you can so even if you have to wait 6 months they knew about it within the warran

Did the dealer give you any type of warranty when you bought the truck? They should've given you something even if it was for a month or 90 days. Not sure about aftermarket warranties but I believe they consider it to be part of the power train coverage. If it's under the dealer supplied warranty then get an appointment on the books as soon as you can so even if you have to wait 6 months they knew about it within the warranty time
Yes, I bought an extended warranty. Hoping it is covered but they wont know until they get the parts in which is about a month and a half and they run it through the warranty company.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Yes, I bought an extended warranty. Hoping it is covered but they wont know until they get the parts in which is about a month and a half and they run it through the warranty company.
Be careful with that. Sounds like they may be kicking the can down the road to avoid the warranty coverage so you're on the hook for the cost. If the manifold is bad now they should still be able to tell if it's covered under warranty regardless of the part availability. I don't know anything about the aftermarket warranty but if it's an actual ram dealership they can tell if it's covered or not. Waiting for the part to come in is irrelevant that why I said get the appointment on the books

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
So I went in today to the dealer to get a firm answer and they said that the manifold will be covered under the recall that Ram has for this issue.
Good. Now that it's on record and they know it will be covered it doesn't matter how long it takes to get the parts because it's on their dime anyway

KMouse

Reaction score
So for a while I would always hear a ticking sound on startup and sometimes acceleration, me reading the forums I was convinced it was just a hemi tick and not expecting the worse case scenario of a exhaust leak. This week I was already irritated of the sound and decided to check out what the noise was and to my disappointment, my freakin exhaust manifold is literally cracked in half. I have a 2019 with only 26k miles! Anyone else has had to change their manifold out? Did dealer give you problems?
So I have had the manifold bolt replaced twice on my 2019 Ram 5.7 and last week I took it in again and the issue was a cracked manifold this time. The first two repairs were done under factory warranty. The last repair was out of factory warranty but luckily the dealership had a 1 year warranty on any repairs which covered it. This is a known issue as I had it on my 2009 and 2014 Rams as well.

Amazing93

Reaction score
If you think 1 or 2 months is crazy I have been waiting since January for a gas tank for my daughter's 2014 VW Beetle. Some emissions parts failed inside the tank requiring a new tank. It takes 15 minutes to fill the tank because the valves inside are stuck closed so the pump thinks the tank is full and shuts off every 10 seconds. The Beetle is a TDI so it's covered under the extended diesel gate warranty. All VW says is sorry Global parts shortage. No tanks available anywhere in the world. I contacted the EPA who settled the lawsuit with vw because this seems like a breach of the settlement not having emissions parts available. The EPA agreed but said that nobody could have seen a global issue like covid so they won't do anything. How long are companies gonna use covid as a crutch? It's gonna be 2040 and there will still be global shortages if it suits their need.

Users who are viewing this thread