5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust leak

Paaool

Reaction score
I have a 2021 ram 1500 5.7 e torque. I kept hearing an odd sound from the passenger side on a cold start. Thought it might have been the exhaust manifold. Turns out I have an exhaust leak where the exhaust pipes connect. Before the muffler and after the Y bend. Any idea if this is something I can just tighten back up? Buy new bolts? Currently have 41000 miles

Attachments

• IMG_8284.jpeg
    IMG_8284.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 50

EJ84

Reaction score
I did mine, had to heat up the old bolts to get them out. I bought a new gasket but the old one wasn’t to bad.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
My bolts broke in the spot a shop drilled them out and put new ones

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Very common. Dissimilar metals causes them to corrode. If you can get the old bolts out, it's an easy fix. You may need a torch, to heat them. Put anti-seize on the new bolts, to slow corrosion.

6of36

Reaction score
Had some bad experience with stainless steel and aluminum.
View attachment 179151
Yeah, most people don't know about these things. I used to be a sheet metal worker, and have a handbook that shows the degree of incompatibility. Aluminum to copper is the worst, followed by aluminum to stainless. Being that neither rusts on their own, most people don't think they would corrode at all. Whenever we hung stainless ductwork, we would put a layer of duct tape, between the duct, and the hangers.

Jako

Reaction score
Yeah, most people don't know about these things. I used to be a sheet metal worker, and have a handbook that shows the degree of incompatibility. Aluminum to copper is the worst, followed by aluminum to stainless. Being that neither rusts on their own, most people don't think they would corrode at all. Whenever we hung stainless ductwork, we would put a layer of duct tape, between the duct, and the hangers.
Wiped out a sillcock using ss screws to galvanized house attachment with aluminum inside. The aluminum took the brunt and was the sacrificial metal. I knew about galvanic reaction years ago from a plumbing leak. The sillcock gave me a refresher along with aluminum valve caps on my Ram.

Jmacnorth

Reaction score
I have a 2021 ram 1500 5.7 e torque. I kept hearing an odd sound from the passenger side on a cold start. Thought it might have been the exhaust manifold. Turns out I have an exhaust leak where the exhaust pipes connect. Before the muffler and after the Y bend. Any idea if this is something I can just tighten back up? Buy new bolts? Currently have 41000 miles
How did you realize that’s where the leak was, I may have the same problem, I just took a look at the clamp today and it’s definitely not even alway around, one side of clamp is larger then other

6of36

Reaction score
How did you realize that’s where the leak was, I may have the same problem, I just took a look at the clamp today and it’s definitely not even alway around, one side of clamp is larger then other
With the truck running, just put your had an inch or so away from the pipe, so you don't bur your hand, and you will probably be able to feel the exhaust coming out, besides hearing it.

Paaool

Reaction score
I started the truck. First checked the exhaust manifolds. Was thinking it could be that. They seemed fine and not broken. Went under the truck. Went to the flange and can hear the exhaust coming out and can feel it. As well as some moisture. As the truck heats up the sound sort of goes away. Waiting for the bolts and new gasket to be delivered

kuba

Reaction score
Could you share part numbers you ordered.
Following for any updates too. I recently just noticed the same issue with my 2020.
I have a feeling we will start seeing more people with this issue.

Paaool

Reaction score
Could you share part numbers you ordered.
Following for any updates too. I recently just noticed the same issue with my 2020.
I have a feeling we will start seeing more people with this issue.
06104416AA bolts
68505222AA gasket

One bolt was complete snapped and seized inside. Second bolt snapped as soon as i tried to take it off. Ended up having to bring it to a muffler shop to drill out

6of36

Reaction score
06104416AA bolts
68505222AA gasket

One bolt was complete snapped and seized inside. Second bolt snapped as soon as i tried to take it off. Ended up having to bring it to a muffler shop to drill out
A muffler shop shouldn't have had to drill. Just heat, and remove. Even if it's flush, a good muffler man, should be able to blow it out with a torch. I used to manage a muffler shop, in my past life, and used to blow out a half dozen Chevy exhaust manifold bolts a day, without damaging the threads.

Users who are viewing this thread