5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust cutout vs. muffler delete vs axle back vs full catback

UniHorn

Reaction score
This is an overwhelming amount of questions but I’m looking for some clarity here. I have only owned diesels. My first Gas engine so I don’t fully understand all of the options and how these options affect overall performance and gas mileage.

Has anyone tried doing one of the electronic exhaust cutouts?
This option sounds nice so I can open it up, but when the misses is in the car I can quiet the beast

Would this see the same performance gains as a muffler delete?
What’s the big difference between a muffler delete and doing an axle back like the new flowmaster?
Can/should you do both?
Or is it better overall to just get a full catback system like Gibson or Magnaflow?

https://www.flowmastermufflers.com/...lete-kit-american-thunder-fits-2019-ram-1500/

https://www.americantrucks.com/x-force-electronic-exhaust-cutout-kit-3-02117.html

Baltic

Reaction score
Following
I just start to research about these opt too
I prefer electronic cutout, because you can have both for ur truck...loud when you want and quiet when you fiance is complaining is too loud✌

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
I too have been reading up on the options. Seems the only set back from the cheaper ebay cutouts is the wearing out/premature dying switch...but they (ebays) are around $60 dollars vs the others QTP/Raceland/Dougs etc which are several hundred dollars depending on your selection.

It seems dependent upon how often you are using the switch for the ebay items as some have lasted a few years with the cheaper products. I am coming from the BMW world so the parts for our trucks are pleasantly LOW compared to BMW parts... I started doing my own maintenance....which saved me on labor and enjoyed it until I could no longer bend that low...lmao!!!

I am tempted to go the ebay route to see how long it will last for $60ish. I definitely understand you get what you pay for sometimes....I also know the flipside to that is if a retailer can get $300 dollars for it they will take that vs lowering the cost to be competitive in the market for an item. That is aside from research and development/ name brand/ quality etc...

I am following this thread too!!!

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I've looked into this as well but decided against it since you have to locate the cutout in front of the muffler, therefor it dumps the exhaust under the cab. I'm not worried about the fumes getting into the cab but rather the highly corrosive exhaust fumes rotting my floor away.

Last edited:

Hdmlnium1

Reaction score
I just put on the B2 Fabrications muffler delete yesterday.
I also used my Carven black tips from my 16 Rebel that I traded in. I haven't driven it many miles yet but my initial thoughts are I like it. Going from my 16 Rebel with a Carven muffler and tips to the stock 19 Laramie it was just way to quiet for me.
Bill

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
Sometimes I over analyze and have to step away from the vehicle and then come back...lol.

While I know the electronic cutout will primarily be installed to control the sound like an on/off switch; with some dyno's out there stating there is a "little" gain in HP--got me thinking....

The single valve cutouts doesn't truly cutoff the entire exhaust flow but splits (hence the "Y") the exhaust to flow through the cutoff valve (giving the extra growl sound) and the rest or other part of the "Y" allows the exhaust to continue to flow through the normal route. I don't know the percentage of the exhaust going to through the cutout--but for argument sake lets say it splits the exhaust 50/50.

I found a "dual valve" cutoff which would seem to push closer to the 100% of the exhaust through the cutout as it closes off the normal exhaust route and opens up the cutout simultaneously. This to me would give even more aggressive sound and provide whatever potential HP gains correct?

I don't know as only looking at it from common sense of a "Y" splits whatever is flowing versus cutting off and pushing "all" out of the pipe.

Here is the ebay "cheap" version of the dual valve:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Patented-3...h=item2cda92956b:g:yrgAAOSwGVJbbXm2:rk:2:pf:0

One great concern I would have of course is if both valves closed. Just doing my research, let me know your thoughts please???

Unihorn, did you ever decide ???

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
I've had cutouts on several of my previous Camaro's and had zero issues with fumes, rotting the floor away, or anything else. It was good for a few horsepower and tenth or two at the track. If you want a noise maker that will rattle everything, get a cutout. If you're looking for a more pleasant sound then swap out the muffler or get a catback.

UniHorn

Reaction score
Negative, still listening to sound bites and figuring out which option I want to go with. I like the idea of this double cutout option, going to look into that. If it wasn’t for having a ball and chain I would do a full cat back with cutout and flowmastet axle back resonators! . I’d be sure to get pulled over leaving my driveway

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
I posted this before, I don't know if you have come across it yet; love the sound:

I just don't want it permanently that way.

If I can have that sound on a on/off switch that would be sweet!!! The clips I have listen to with the cutouts sound good for our RAMS just have not sounded as complete as the video above. I am hoping that dual valve allows the fullness or closer to the sound in the video.

rlc2020

Reaction score
I had a set of QTP electric cut outs on my 09 mustang gt. Best thing I ever did. they were on a rocker switch so you could open them partially if you just wanted a little extra noise, or open them fully which made it sound like a stock car. It was cool to be able to change like that. Especially if some honda started revving next to me at a light, I could flip the switch and make it roar. I found I drove around most of the time with the cut outs closed and it was nice to have both worlds. I'm debating on doing this on my truck because I don't want to wake up the family every time I leave the house in the morning, but I want more sound when I'm driving around.

As for more power, I honestly couldn't tell the difference. it was so loud it seemed faster, but probably wasn't.

Last edited:

Baltic

Reaction score
I still can't decide which way to go...
Borla atak, flowmaster muflers or electronic cutout...just afraid of if I go with elect cutout way when it's open could be miserable sound...
But I discovered one new thing, QTP screamer for 2019 rams, I did see only one ram on youtube and sounds good, cost around 1k.
Any1 had any product from QTP, step up please Screenshot_2019-02-10-22-04-50.png ?

billyraff

Reaction score
I will be going with the magnaflow cat back system, crawled under the ram yesterday and the current muffler and resonators are large and clunky. I can't imagine they do very well with airflow, or weight..

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
I'm baaaaaaack!!!!

Yessssssss EBAY electric Exhaust Cutout installed as of last night!!!!!

Loving the sound!!! Definitely as put in another thread upon start up has that "thunder cloud" initial HELLO grumble grumble roar. It's 2:44am and I am tempted to go out and drive her just to hear her...lol.

I thought of doing a video but the QTP video posted earlier in this thread provides excellent sound clips of what to expect.

The money clip moment was when the other half came outside and did a test drive around the block. She stopped and put it in neutral around the corner and gave a few good pumps on the gas!!! Yes, I could hear her as I thought she punched it!!! She came back with a grin on her face!!!

Since I had the exhaust in the open position when she came out; upon her return and pulling up in driveway, the priceless moment came when I reached over and clicked the switch and the exhaust rumbling sound smoothly disappeared back to its quiet stock sound!!! The look on her face was pricelessssss, she look at me and said "boys and their toys!!!" and strolled back into the house!!!

You know when "I dream of Jeanie" smoke snaked out of the bottle and you were waiting for her to appear, that is the feeling I got flipping the switch and that Hemi sound oozes out, releasing its power rumbling deep growl.

"Release the hounds!!" umm Horses!!!

Yes, I am in kid mode and enjoying the ability to switch it on and off!!!

On the flip side---

I would not want this in full open mode on a long trip, so the ability to switch it off/on or open/closed is very important to me with this product. On long trips I enjoy the peace of the road and scenery for hours without any music, then go into beast mode switching music genres from song to song.

It is loud, even more so coming from out stock set up. My previous 2000 dodge 1500 had the pipes cutoff already when I bought it, so I am used to that sound. I will try to get some decibel readings/download an app.

$60 for EBAY 3" electronic Exhaust Cutout ( I got the one with rocker switch not the remote)
$107 +$10 tip for install at local muffler shop
ability to turn it off and on....priceless!!!

I will follow up with thoughts in a few days.

Baltic

Reaction score
Holy sht...good story bro
...and that's what I want too...loud when I'm in mood for that and nice gentle sound when I need peaceful long trip somewhere...
Please drop some video

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
Another one of my early early am (0441am) rants....lol---

Nothing like hearing and feeling the HEMI growl!!!!! Especially going from the refined stock sound to BADASS PUNCHING POWER!!!

I have to give RAM credit for the excellent job on the muffler system in our stock vehicles. When you accelerate the HEMI in the stock mode its like having sex in a place where you must be QUIET....you feel the punch and power of the acceleration but you have to keep the explosion SILENCED/MUFFLED.

Switch it ON and feel the power & screaming/growl simultaneously LOUDLY having the harmony of the explosion filling our ears while experiencing the power in the seat of our pants---lift off!!!!

(Glad I am older and have slowed down some since my 20's)

This on/off button is like Jekyll and Hyde seriously!!!

Pulled back into the neighborhood and switched the button back to stock mode and it felt like we were coasting in with the engine off........

I thought I was sneaking back in from a late night date.

And....that was us going out to get smoothies last night!!!!

Unleashing the HEMI SOUND in our already wonderful RAM's with the Exhaust Cutoff takes it to another level of fun factor---ability to open/close or turn the HEMI MONSTER on or off at will.....Epic()!!!

Wanted to say Orgasmic instead of Epic but don't want to offend anyone!!!!

Like I said it is loud and you can get the taste of it in this video(credit to QTP for the video!!!). I will try to do a video, may take me some time but will continue to update my thoughts on this Exhaust Cutoff. Here is the video in case you missed it earlier in thread.

Users who are viewing this thread