5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust cutout vs. muffler delete vs axle back vs full catback

KeithDewey

Reaction score
I'm baaaaaaack!!!!

Yessssssss EBAY electric Exhaust Cutout installed as of last night!!!!!

Loving the sound!!! Definitely as put in another thread upon start up has that "thunder cloud" initial HELLO grumble grumble roar. It's 2:44am and I am tempted to go out and drive her just to hear her...lol.

I thought of doing a video but the QTP video posted earlier in this thread provides excellent sound clips of what to expect.

The money clip moment was when the other half came outside and did a test drive around the block. She stopped and put it in neutral around the corner and gave a few good pumps on the gas!!! Yes, I could hear her as I thought she punched it!!! She came back with a grin on her face!!!

Since I had the exhaust in the open position when she came out; upon her return and pulling up in driveway, the priceless moment came when I reached over and clicked the switch and the exhaust rumbling sound smoothly disappeared back to its quiet stock sound!!! The look on her face was pricelessssss, she look at me and said "boys and their toys!!!" and strolled back into the house!!!

You know when "I dream of Jeanie" smoke snaked out of the bottle and you were waiting for her to appear, that is the feeling I got flipping the switch and that Hemi sound oozes out, releasing its power rumbling deep growl.

"Release the hounds!!" umm Horses!!!

Yes, I am in kid mode and enjoying the ability to switch it on and off!!!

On the flip side---

I would not want this in full open mode on a long trip, so the ability to switch it off/on or open/closed is very important to me with this product. On long trips I enjoy the peace of the road and scenery for hours without any music, then go into beast mode switching music genres from song to song.

It is loud, even more so coming from out stock set up. My previous 2000 dodge 1500 had the pipes cutoff already when I bought it, so I am used to that sound. I will try to get some decibel readings/download an app.

$60 for EBAY 3" electronic Exhaust Cutout ( I got the one with rocker switch not the remote)
$107 +$10 tip for install at local muffler shop
ability to turn it off and on....priceless!!!

I will follow up with thoughts in a few days.

Do you have the link for the right fitment on Ebay? I don't see one out there with a switch instead of remote...

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
I have to correct my purchase cost was $50.99 from ebay-looked up my purchase.

The seller I purchased from on Ebay was "your_style", I may have purchased the last one as when I pull up seller they only have double exhaust cutout (2) per set available/more expensive.

I did find another 3" exhaust cutout that was on ebay that has both the manual rocker switch and the remote with it. $59.93

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Electric...780470?hash=item286f4982f6:g:TooAAOSw0TBb~5RV

As for the rocker switch vs. remote control keychain device---

I have not decided where to permanently place the rocker switch yet. So I have it plugged into my lighter right now. I will hard wire it soon. Some have been lucky to program the remote to the garage buttons in our visor/some have not been able to so YMMV.

Another note is to check around locally as you may be able to purchase they very same unit I got from EBAY at your local muffler shop. The shop I went to had them in stock!!!

And before I forget-- shop around for the welding install. IF given time I usually get 3 quotes on whatever I am purchasing (of course research etc).

First muffler shop--$240 installed---lol yeah right (I think he took me for an old fool)
weird part this place didn't have many customers
2nd shop-----------$160 -----------this guy seemed more ligit
this shop was closed but he still addressed my concerns
3rd shop------------$100+ tax etc... he was cool and new exactly what I wanted
This shop had ****load of vehicles they were working on outside the
bays had vehicles/working on. Think it took little over an hour wait
time.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
Again, I love the loud sound (with of course the ability to turn it off and on) but for the sake of conversation in the truck or radio volume, I am wondering if a minor installation change would help eliminate a bit of the cab noise.

I know this is the trade off going with the raw exhaust cutoff vs. more refined complete options (borla etc...); I still look at potentially what can improve or help others when they do their initial install of a exhaust cutoff.

I took some pics. I know this would cost a bit more money for the install to move the flange; but if the flange and exhaust cutoff were swapped around placing the exhaust cutoff approx 12 further towards the rear, would this help reduce cabin noise a bit?

With good welds/tight fit etc of the exhaust cutoff the sound and/or unleashed raw sound should come out of the mouth/curved end of the exhaust cutoff right? So if this was extended back further shouldn't this move the sound/vibration release to the point exhaust tip of the exhaust cutoff?

I so want to learn how to weld. The welds didn't look the greatest to me though I have no experience and of course the angle etc...I so want to learn how to weld. Hobbyist classes for welding in the Tampa area I am looking into as none around my area :cry:.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 135
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 126
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 126

chevdc

Reaction score
I just installed the QTP aggressor cutout tonight and man, am I ever glad I went this route. It took me about an hour of time to do everything, including the wiring. Easy. Ran the cable to under the hood and used a micro2 fuse tap to tap into an unused power source.. grounded it to the 2 factory ground spots right near the fuse box. 1 cut of the stock exhaust and the y pipe fit right in, clamped it down and bolted it up to the stock pipe.

The sound... it's incredible. Couldnt wipe the smile off my face for the rest of the day. Anybody who's hesitating to pull the trigger on the QTP, don't. Its worth it.

Oh, and I programmed the remotes to my homelink buttons. Button 1 is for my garage, button 2 is to open the cutout and 3 to close :)

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
chevdc CONGRATS!!!!!!!

Man I definitely know what you mean about that smile on the face:D:D:D:D

Glad you were able to get it programmed into the visor buttons. I may spend the $20ish dollars and get the remote. I really want to figure out a way to put it (rocker switch) in one the stock buttons (empty slot) I have available.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
One for RAM to take note on...

I would purchase a SPORT MODE for our trucks---

1. Button next to traction control for SPORT MODE which consist of:
a.---Exhaust Cutout (Give it that deep growl/HEMI SOUND)
b.---Suspension drops 2-3 inches (stays in this position)
c.---Better throttle response--keep in transmission gear longer

You know the regular stuff but with the ability to turn it ON/OFF, now that would be an upgrade I would pay for even though it comes standard (not all of options above) with many vehicles.

maddog49

Reaction score
So when you have it closed is it as quiet as the stock exhaust? Any extra noise? Sometimes it would be nice but normally I like the stock exhaust.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
If I had to put a number on it I would say when it is closed, its 96% stock sound. I think this may have something to do with the welding. I keep telling myself to get under there again and check the top of the muffler/welds.

I hear just a whisper above stock when windows are down or standing outside of vehicle in closed position. When windows are up it is pretty much 99% stock sound.

I am hearing sporadic droning like some other loud aftermarket products with the MDS on. I am trying to figure out the pattern/if any. I noticed today at 53mph drone sound 55mph no drone. Again, the ON/OFF button is the magic to this cheap alternative way to releasing the HEMI(hounds)!!!

I was reading in another thread on here where one of the Borla set ups are loud and has some sporadic droning too. Then there is a Borla where they added another resonator which virtually removed the droning but gave it some growl.

I kind of like being either loud/growl or stock/quiet....makes it a mood thang!!!

Binaryslave

Reaction score
chevdc CONGRATS!!!!!!!

Man I definitely know what you mean about that smile on the face:D:D:D:D

Glad you were able to get it programmed into the visor buttons. I may spend the $20ish dollars and get the remote. I really want to figure out a way to put it (rocker switch) in one the stock buttons (empty slot) I have available.

Could you share where you get this remote setup for 20.00?

Thank you

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
Could you share where you get this remote setup for 20.00?

Thank you
Binaryslave,

The remote setup was/is just for the remote "only" parts of the exhaust cutout. This is not including the actual exhaust cutout parts that hook up to exhaust pipe.

Check it out on ebay.

I put in the search "exhaust cutout remote"
and go down on right side for max dollar amount put in "40.00"

This will eliminate many other products and isolate down to the items you are looking for-they are ranging from 15-20+ dollars for just the remote.

Raydar

Reaction score
I posted this question in the "best exhaust system" thread, earlier. Since the school of thought seems to be in a different direction in this thread, I'll ask here, too.
My apologies for the cross-post if anyone cares.

Has anyone just completely deleted the mufflers, while leaving the resonators in place?
A friend of mine with an earlier truck (2017?) did just that. What I heard sounded good, but I'm also concerned about drone, at speed, or with the MDS active.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^ there is plenty of chat about all the options that deals with it.
Noise and drone level will be all personal perspective

Raydar

Reaction score
^^^ there is plenty of chat about all the options that deals with it.
Noise and drone level will be all personal perspective

Gotcha. I'm seeing that. Didn't realize it was so popular. Thanks for your comment. I will attempt to not be a PITA about it. :D

Skiordie

Reaction score
I posted this before, I don't know if you have come across it yet; love the sound:

I just don't want it permanently that way.

If I can have that sound on a on/off switch that would be sweet!!! The clips I have listen to with the cutouts sound good for our RAMS just have not sounded as complete as the video above. I am hoping that dual valve allows the fullness or closer to the sound in the video.
Wow, looks like he had time for Bed Bath and Beyond.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gotcha. I'm seeing that. Didn't realize it was so popular. Thanks for your comment. I will attempt to not be a PITA about it. :D
Not a problem at all. It’s not in the right tread. It is what it is. I mind helping out.

A addition, I can tell you 4th gen & 5th gen exhaust systems are different. Even at factory exhaust of 4th gen is louder. 5th gen should have less drone then 4th on every muffler replacement/delete option being equal.

Reaction score
I just installed the QTP aggressor cutout tonight and man, am I ever glad I went this route. It took me about an hour of time to do everything, including the wiring. Easy. Ran the cable to under the hood and used a micro2 fuse tap to tap into an unused power source.. grounded it to the 2 factory ground spots right near the fuse box. 1 cut of the stock exhaust and the y pipe fit right in, clamped it down and bolted it up to the stock pipe.

The sound... it's incredible. Couldnt wipe the smile off my face for the rest of the day. Anybody who's hesitating to pull the trigger on the QTP, don't. Its worth it.

Oh, and I programmed the remotes to my homelink buttons. Button 1 is for my garage, button 2 is to open the cutout and 3 to close :)

So to use your Homelink buttons, you bought the remote key fobs too, right?

Bionicbo

Reaction score
I've looked into this as well but decided against it since you have to locate the cutout in front of the muffler, therefor it dumps the exhaust under the cab. I'm not worried about the fumes getting into the cab but rather the highly corrosive exhaust fumes rotting my floor away.
the QTP actually has a bolt on downturn pipe for that reason

Users who are viewing this thread