5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Evaporative System Fresh Air Filter

jmrhodes212

Reaction score
Anyone had to replace this? The maintenance schedule says to inspect it with every oil change. I believe it to be located in the rear wheel well by the gas filler. Surely there is no way the dealer removes this every oil change and inspects it.

Any thoughts?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Is this on an ED?
You say gas filter, not sure if you mean fuel filter as i'm not sure how your truck would run with any gas in it, or are confused with something else?

If its a gas engine no, whatever filter you are talking about is not checked with regular oil changes.
If you are talking about an ED, I believe it is best practice to check it, and replace every 30k miles

jmrhodes212

Reaction score
Is this on an ED?
You say gas filter, not sure if you mean fuel filter as i'm not sure how your truck would run with any gas in it, or are confused with something else?

If its a gas engine no, whatever filter you are talking about is not checked with regular oil changes.
If you are talking about an ED, I believe it is best practice to check it, and replace every 30k miles

By the filler not filter, where you put the fuel in.

jmrhodes212

Reaction score
Is this on an ED?

This is what the manual says. I have never heard of this inspection point. See the part highlighted in grey.

1673845375346.png

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone had to replace this? The maintenance schedule says to inspect it with every oil change. I believe it to be located in the rear wheel well by the gas filler. Surely there is no way the dealer removes this every oil change and inspects it.

Any thoughts?
I think you're probably right and the manual is referring to the fuel vapor canister filter, part no. 68192068AC. At least that's my best guess. 🤷‍♂️

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For the air conditioner, the condenser coil is in the grill and the evaporator coil is in the truck under the dash. So, the Evaporator System Fresh Air Filter is the cabin filter.

jmrhodes212

Reaction score
You go ahead and check the canister fresh air filter. Report back your findings.
Finally got the answer. It is the fresh air filter off of the Evaporative System Integrity Monitor (ESIM). Don't know how anyone would inspect that filter. I guess if it got clogged it would throw evap system codes.

jmrhodes212

Reaction score
I did get feedback from a service advisor. They aren't sure why the manual words it that way, but they don't check it unless there is a evap system code. If it is clogged and causes reduced flow, then they would investigate based on whatever code was generated. They did confirm that it's different than the cabin air filter.

Obviously just from one dealer, if anyone knows any other service advisors, it would be nice to know how they address that.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did get feedback from a service advisor. They aren't sure why the manual words it that way, but they don't check it unless there is a evap system code. If it is clogged and causes reduced flow, then they would investigate based on whatever code was generated. They did confirm that it's different than the cabin air filter.

Obviously just from one dealer, if anyone knows any other service advisors, it would be nice to know how they address that.
No dealer is checking that filter. If is gets plugged/restricted it could also cause fueling issues, pump clicking off.

jmrhodes212

Reaction score
No dealer is checking that filter. If is gets plugged/restricted it could also cause fueling issues, pump clicking off.
There are two filters associated with this Evap Control Module. The charcoal filter is the one that would cause the immediate fueling issue or possibly a check engine light. That's the one that if you overfill the tank it will backflow into it and cause the charcoal to become saturated and unable to absorb vapors. There is another filter, much smaller that allows fresh air in through the ESIM to the evap control module and onto the charcoal canister. This filter is the Evaporative System Fresh Air Filter. It's in a line that goes to the unit.

I agree, I highly doubt there is a dealer checking any of these unless you come in with an issue.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are two filters associated with this Evap Control Module. The charcoal filter is the one that would cause the immediate fueling issue or possibly a check engine light. That's the one that if you overfill the tank it will backflow into it and cause the charcoal to become saturated and unable to absorb vapors. There is another filter, much smaller that allows fresh air in through the ESIM to the evap control module and onto the charcoal canister. This filter is the Evaporative System Fresh Air Filter. It's in a line that goes to the unit.

I agree, I highly doubt there is a dealer checking any of these unless you come in with an issue.
I am fairly familiar with the EVAP system. Here is a good article that explains a hard to fill diag.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230117_194900_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20230117_194900_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot_20230117_194912_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20230117_194912_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot_20230117_194920_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20230117_194920_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 71

jmrhodes212

Reaction score
I am fairly familiar with the EVAP system. Here is a good article that explains a hard to fill diag.
This would be helpful for some that think it's the cabin air filter. It clearly delineates the charcoal canister and the fresh air filter. Thanks!

NextEndeavor

Reaction score
Just reviewing my 2023 Ram maintenance schedule this morning and wondered what this was. This forum answered my questions, thank you

Big Jim Swade

Reaction score
I also saw this maintenance item in my owners manual. Does anyone have any better info on this yet?

Users who are viewing this thread