5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eTorque vs non-eTorque? Purchased a Flame Red Night Edition to replace my 19 Laramie Night Edition.

Tesla

Reaction score
Bought a Flame Red Laramie Night Edition today to replace my current truck and it is arriving next week.
My current truck has the Off-Road Group and HEMI (non-eTorque), the Flame Red I bought today does not have the ORG and is an eTorque.

Is there a noticeable difference in the drive without the ORG? How about the addition of the eTorque?

Thinking about adding the front tow hooks as well, didn't use them on my 19 but I like the look of them

Attachments

• Flame Red RAM.png
    Flame Red RAM.png
    889.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_7312.jpg
    IMG_7312.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would say YES to both not nothing you can't get used to after some miles and breaking it in. I miss the height, ride and non etorque engine of my rebel but it's becoming more of a distant memory everyday. Etorque does take some getting used to but I think the truck just improves the more you drive it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I would say YES to both not nothing you can't get used to after some miles and breaking it in. I miss the height, ride and non etorque engine of my rebel but it's becoming more of a distant memory everyday. Etorque does take some getting used to but I think the truck just improves the more you drive it.
Can also disable start-stop for $100 if you don't like it.
I would be more concerned about getting MDS disabled vs eTorque imo.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
How? I'll most likely disable the start-stop
Lots of ways.
This is the cheapest.

Gives the button memory so you can turn it off and it remembers on each start.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
MDS is the least desirable of the two...hate that. Barely even notice the auto start stop anymore as the engine breaks in. I think I mainly turn it off when I am in stop and go other than that I think about it less and less. But I can see not wanting f
It on at all.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
MDS is the least desirable of the two...hate that. Barely even notice the auto start stop anymore as the engine breaks in. I think I mainly turn it off when I am in stop and go other than that I think about it less and less. But I can see not wanting f
It on at all.
It depends what part of the country you live in for sure.
Some cities I work in start-stop will get you tboned for sure, but some lights it's good as they are 3.5 minute redlights.
If only Ram allowed the switch to stay in whatever position you had it in would look much better unlike forcing it on for every start of the truck imo.

MDS and the MDS hardware should be optional form the factory line but Ram like other manufactures force feed us and there is nothing we can do expect deal with it post purchase.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It depends what part of the country you live in for sure.
Some cities I work in start-stop will get you tboned for sure, but some lights it's good as they are 3.5 minute redlights.
If only Ram allowed the switch to stay in whatever position you had it in would look much better unlike forcing it on for every start of the truck imo.

MDS and the MDS hardware should be optional form the factory line but Ram like other manufactures force feed us and there is nothing we can do expect deal with it post purchase.

No it wont

cleandirt

Reaction score
The difference in your old truck and the new one with eTorque and non off road package really depends on you and how sensitive you are to the difference. Seems like some people really hate the auto stop start, it’s no big deal to others. I haven’t owned one without it or with the off road package so I’d be interested if you let us know your thoughts after driving the new truck awhile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
No it wont
Yes, it will.
You have obviously never driven in every city for example Boston but you feel like correcting me? Okay bud.
Having your engine turn off on you in the middle of an intersection giving you even just a few second delay will cause an accident in these kinds of places. But keep drinking whatever coolaid you are on.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The etorque restarts the engine within milliseconds not seconds, once you start lifting your foot of the brake the engine is restarted way before you have time to get your foot over to the gas pedal to actually get moving. It will have 0 effect on restarting at an intersection.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The etorque restarts the engine within milliseconds not seconds, once you start lifting your foot of the brake the engine is restarted way before you have time to get your foot over to the gas pedal. It will have 0 effect on restarting at an intersection.
Tell me that after driving a 2022+ which has the second version of eTorque\start\stop.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tell me that after driving a 2022+ which has the second version of eTorque\start\stop.
I've never heard of a second version of etorque, but if you are waiting for a several seconds for the engine to restart you have a major issue with your system.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've never heard of a second version of etorque, but if you are waiting for a several seconds for the engine to restart you have a major issue with your system.
It's not uncommon to be stationary for 2 seconds after putting your foot on the gas after start-stop. Rolling stops are stop signs (without needing to wait on anyone else) can be really risky. A throttle booster helps a little with foot travel but there is a huge delay.
Any other car\truck I have or currently own when you put your foot on the gas you go, on the eTorque there is a delay if you keep your foot steady it will start to move without engaging the throttle more.

As I said 2022s and above have a newer version of eTorque, they do not have all the same firmware. Mine shuts off at 3mph, from what I can tell 2019s like yours don't shut off until you are stopped which is one of the few differences.

BowDown

Reaction score
Yes, it will.
You have obviously never driven in every city for example Boston but you feel like correcting me? Okay bud.
Having your engine turn off on you in the middle of an intersection giving you even just a few second delay will cause an accident in these kinds of places. But keep drinking whatever coolaid you are on.

Dallas Tx doesn't have traffic like Boston? Who knew.
A, you shouldn't be in intersection unless you can proceed all the way through, IE, not stopping
B, If the Auto/stop/start shuts the engine off while you're stopped in the middle of an intersection, the feature restarts the engine in fractions of a second, before your foot is completely off the brake
C, you can manipulate this feature by only applying light pressure to the brake pedal or never coming to a complete stop
D, if your AS/S feature is so slow that it places you in peril, really you are the one doing that, then there's something wrong with it and you should take it in.

Acting like this feature can cause an accident is BS, you shouldn't have been in the middle of the intersection to begin with if unable to proceed safely all the way through, that's on you.

FYI
Boston/Population
654,776 (2021)

Dallas/Population
1.288 million (2021)

BowDown

Reaction score
It's not uncommon to be stationary for 2 seconds after putting your foot on the gas after start-stop. Rolling stops are stop signs (without needing to wait on anyone else) can be really risky. A throttle booster helps a little with foot travel but there is a huge delay.
Any other car\truck I have or currently own when you put your foot on the gas you go, on the eTorque there is a delay if you keep your foot steady it will start to move without engaging the throttle more.

As I said 2022s and above have a newer version of eTorque, they do not have all the same firmware. Mine shuts off at 3mph, from what I can tell 2019s like yours don't shut off until you are stopped which is one of the few differences.

Bull, my trucks moving before I'm off the brake. Others with the 2022 version have reported the same and reported that in threads you have claimed otherwise. Somethings wrong with your truck or the operator. Maybe an F150 would suit you better.
Pretty sure a 2 second delay would have NHTSA on Rams donkey quickly also

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Dallas Tx doesn't have traffic like Boston? Who knew.
A, you shouldn't be in intersection unless you can proceed all the way through, IE, not stopping
B, If the Auto/stop/start shuts the engine off while you're stopped in the middle of an intersection, the feature restarts the engine in fractions of a second, before your foot is completely off the brake
C, you can manipulate this feature by only applying light pressure to the brake pedal or never coming to a complete stop
D, if your AS/S feature is so slow that it places you in peril, really you are the one doing that, then there's something wrong with it and you should take it in.

Acting like this feature can cause an accident is BS, you shouldn't have been in the middle of the intersection to begin with if unable to proceed safely all the way through, that's on you.

FYI
Boston/Population
654,776 (2021)

Dallas/Population
1.288 million (2021)
Ill have some of whatever you're smoking.
going 3 mph is not a complete stop and that's how it works on 2022s as I posted above. You just want to argue about something.

So much of what you post is just incorrect or misquoted.

A, you shouldn't be in intersection unless you can proceed all the way through, IE, not stopping.
Never been in Boston. That's simply not how it works. It's not uncommon to need to sit in the MIDDLE of an intersection for 3-4 red lights to proceed depending on where you are and the time of day.
C, you can manipulate this feature by only applying light pressure to the brake pedal or never coming to a complete stop. This is incorrect on 2022s.
Acting like this feature can cause an accident is BS, you shouldn't have been in the middle of the intersection to begin with if unable to proceed safely all the way through, that's on you. Having your engine shut off on you while driving and not at a complete stop during rush hour traffic in a densely populated city can\does cause accidents.

Here are the actual stats of the population per square mile since you want to throw out some stupid as hell skewed numbers. Total population has nothing to do with how dense it is and you are just reenforcing what I said without even understanding what you are posting. Dallas is tiny compared to Boston when it comes to population and traffic. Dallas is huge so people can spread out, not like in Boston or New York. It's completely differnet parts of the country

Boston has a population density of 12,774 people per square mile.
York City has a population density of 26,261 people per square mile.
Dallas has a population density of 3,707 people per square mile.

Some cities I work in start-stop will get you tboned for sure
No it wont
Pretty sure a 2 second delay would have NHTSA on Rams donkey quickly also
Do you have any idea what NHTSA even does or regulates?

OP just wanted info on eTorque vs non-eTorque.
People gave him responses and info. You have provided nothing and just quoted me and started to argue about incorrect information you are posting.

BowDown

Reaction score
Bought a Flame Red Laramie Night Edition today to replace my current truck and it is arriving next week.
My current truck has the Off-Road Group and HEMI (non-eTorque), the Flame Red I bought today does not have the ORG and is an eTorque.

Is there a noticeable difference in the drive without the ORG? How about the addition of the eTorque?

Thinking about adding the front tow hooks as well, didn't use them on my 19 but I like the look of them

I like that night edition flame red, sharp and congratulations. Dont worry about etorque either

Users who are viewing this thread