5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

etorque removal - what’s involved?

BigRedDodge

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully removed the etorque setup? It seems like it’s a just a gimmick more than anything. Is it possible to remove and how would that affect the electronics of the truck?

Can the autostart feature be turned off with some sort of tuning software?

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Easier to sell the truck
ETA, that's not true, it's easier to live with eTorque, selling/trading would be next.
The trans is different on an et truck, the power system is different, the way the battery is charged is different. You could with enough money, change from the MGU to an alternator but the biggest hurdle is probably the electronics and the tuning associated with etorque. It'd be smarter to just trade it

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I agree with @BowDown, I'm not sure it is worth the time or the money it would take to convert it.

This did get me thinking, however, about the future of these ET Rams. For the relative few years Ram has been putting these on the hemis, it seems guys have often times had issues getting replacements when they were needed. Now that this setup is no longer sold, will Ram even try to keep a legit supply of the MGUs and Batteries these truck require?

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree with @BowDown, I'm not sure it is worth the time or the money it would take to convert it.

This did get me thinking, however, about the future of these ET Rams. For the relative few years Ram has been putting these on the hemis, it seems guys have often times had issues getting replacements when they were needed. Now that this setup is no longer sold, will Ram even try to keep a legit supply of the MGUs and Batteries these truck require?
Well, by law they're required for something like 10 years, though they probably don't have to try very hard these days. Just keep saying supply chain issues.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Has anyone successfully removed the etorque setup? It seems like it’s a just a gimmick more than anything. Is it possible to remove and how would that affect the electronics of the truck?

Can the autostart feature be turned off with some sort of tuning software?
You can disable stop/start with a device called autostop eliminator. It was the best hundred bucks I spent when I had a truck with etorque...

U

User_3336

I've always said ETORQUE is a gimmick. Generator to charge a battery that charges another battery.
Would have more sense to just upgrade the alternator to the enhanced MGU unit, and that in turn just charge the 12V battery, but hey, I'm not an engineer, but makes me question the longevity of the system, and since RAM is dumping the hemi/etorque in 2025, makes me wonder even more.
I'm probably getting rid of my RAM before month end.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've always said ETORQUE is a gimmick. Generator to charge a battery that charges another battery.
Would have more sense to just upgrade the alternator to the enhanced MGU unit, and that in turn just charge the 12V battery, but hey, I'm not an engineer, but makes me question the longevity of the system, and since RAM is dumping the hemi/etorque in 2025, makes me wonder even more.
I'm probably getting rid of my RAM before month end.
What are you replacing it with?

U

User_3336

What are you replacing it with?
My brother just got a new 24 Silverado LT Crew 4x4 with the 5.3. I drove one while he was buying his. I really liked it. They had 4 of the same trim. At least Chevy's hangin' on to the V8's for now. I'm pretty sure I could trade even. Decisions. Decisions.

Reaction score
if you plan on keepin a chevy as long as you have a warranty you'll be fine. i have a friend that was a chevy mechanic for 13 years and is now a chevy serv writer. he told me if i get a chevy just plan on it needing a torque converter and they also have problems with the rear slider glass leaking???
the new 5.3 is a LT so not LS based everyone should know the GM also had issues with the cam's/lifter failure on LS/gen4 5.3's.

U

User_3336

if you plan on keepin a chevy as long as you have a warranty you'll be fine. i have a friend that was a chevy mechanic for 13 years and is now a chevy serv writer. he told me if i get a chevy just plan on it needing a torque converter and they also have problems with the rear slider glass leaking???
the new 5.3 is a LT so not LS based everyone should know the GM also had issues with the cam's/lifter failure on LS/gen4 5.3's.
Every brand is not without issues, I'm aware. The 5.7 HEMI has lifter/camshafts issues, has rear window leaks, ETorque issues, and famous exhaust manifold leaks . . . . . your point?

If I trade, I'll post it. No sense of de-railing the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reaction score
Every brand is not without issues, I'm aware. The 5.7 HEMI has lifter/camshafts issues, has rear window leaks, ETorque issues, and famous exhaust manifold leaks . . . . . your point?

If I trade, I'll post it. No sense of de-railing the thread.
oh yeah gm also has broken exhaust bolt issues lol.....the point is, wellyou made it for me.
"Every brand is not without issues"
i mainly got the ram because for the money it seemed like the best truck IMO it had the nicest interior.
good luck whatever you decide.

Insanity

Reaction score
I remember my 2 05 rams they both sucked and I really hated my 1500 ( pos 4.7) but loved my 2500 (5.9) in comparison of the 2. My 21 ram is the nicest vehicle I have ever owned and I have owned a lot. But Ferd and Cheby still make really good trucks too.

U

User_3336

I remember my 2 05 rams they both sucked and I really hated my 1500 ( pos 4.7) but loved my 2500 (5.9) in comparison of the 2. My 21 ram is the nicest vehicle I have ever owned and I have owned a lot. But Ferd and Cheby still make really good trucks too.
Hopefully Ferb and Cheby will continue to make V8's and not try to make them "mild hybrid" with some complicated charging system! :cool:

dajogejr

Reaction score
Anyone have reports/info on high mileage eTorque trucks?
These forums, pretty much any forums, are 80 to 90% “problems with my truck” threads.
You don’t see any/many who’ve been driving along with zero issues just say “had my truck for X years, X miles, no major issues”…

Been around since 2019…wonder how many 150K plus etorques are out there?
I’ve got 10K on my 23…very happy with it so far.
Yep, very, very small sample size. But 4th RAM since 2006 (06, 08, 15 and 23) so not my first Daimler/Chrysler/RAM/Stellantis Rodeo (did I get them all…)
My Limited 15 had several dealer trips for the air ride. It was acting up again in mid last year, and even with unlimited miles/Max care, it was time for a new rig.
Yeah, glutton for punishment as I’m hoping Gen 5 4 corner is more reliable, time will tell.

And I agree with the others. Rather than try to remove it, sell it/trade it in. WAY less time, money and headache.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Anyone have reports/info on high mileage eTorque trucks?
These forums, pretty much any forums, are 80 to 90% “problems with my truck” threads.
You don’t see any/many who’ve been driving along with zero issues just say “had my truck for X years, X miles, no major issues”…

Been around since 2019…wonder how many 150K plus etorques are out there?
I’ve got 10K on my 23…very happy with it so far.
Yep, very, very small sample size. But 4th RAM since 2006 (06, 08, 15 and 23) so not my first Daimler/Chrysler/RAM/Stellantis Rodeo (did I get them all…)
My Limited 15 had several dealer trips for the air ride. It was acting up again in mid last year, and even with unlimited miles/Max care, it was time for a new rig.
Yeah, glutton for punishment as I’m hoping Gen 5 4 corner is more reliable, time will tell.

And I agree with the others. Rather than try to remove it, sell it/trade it in. WAY less time, money and headache.

The two main weak points in the etorque system (and main components) seem to be the BSG and the 48v battery module. And problems with those seem to have been mostly worked out. My predictions for these items are, given that the BSG is belt driven and has a rotating shaft supported by bearings, I would expect it to last about as long as an alternator would last. The 48v battery module has no moving parts, but contains electronics along with (obviously) lithium ion batteries. I would expect that module to last as long as a battery pack on any EV. I'm not sure how long we'll be keeping our 2020 Limited. But I'm glad it has a Hemi engine without etorque in case we decide to keep it for the long term.

dajogejr

Reaction score
The two main weak points in the etorque system (and main components) seem to be the BSG and the 48v battery module. And problems with those seem to have been mostly worked out. My predictions for these items are, given that the BSG is belt driven and has a rotating shaft supported by bearings, I would expect it to last about as long as an alternator would last. The 48v battery module has no moving parts, but contains electronics along with (obviously) lithium ion batteries. I would expect that module to last as long as a battery pack on any EV. I'm not sure how long we'll be keeping our 2020 Limited. But I'm glad it has a Hemi engine without etorque in case we decide to keep it for the long term.
I can remember back in the day…alternators and starters…wearing out. And I’m talking 70s, 80s and 90s cars.
In the hundreds of thousands of miles I’ve put on my 4 RAM trucks, none have needed either.
The good thing is, at least the MGU and Battery pack are covered with 8/80 warranty.
I have max care for 8/125 as well. I only plan on keeping the truck up to 8 years.

I highly doubt the battery pack is covered by Max Care. I’m 100% certain both the MGU and starter would be…should they fail.

I kept my 2015 limited for 8 years, 140K. The two jobs I had prior…I drove a lot. Current job now, not nearly as much…so mileage is not as much of a concern.

By then… maybe any I6 Hurricane issues will be sorted. If not… it’ll be weight all/any issues known for the Hemi compared to the Hurricane.

Insanity

Reaction score
At like 1 ½ year and maybe 13k miles the fluid filled belt tensior started to leak. So for me time and miles are still way off to see how well it will survive.

U

User_3336

The 48V battery pack does have two fans which cool it If i recall, that's probably the extent of the "moving parts".

Users who are viewing this thread