5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

etorque removal - what’s involved?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Most engine wear occurs at COLD startups, not hot/warm
Yeah, I'm aware that I omitted the word cold from my previous post. Definitely an oversight. But I'm not convinced that more wear doesn't occur at warm start than if the engine were kept running. Again, as mentioned in my previous post, that's purely my opinion. But until I see data on wear in an engine that sees lots of stop/start operations versus an engine that doesn't, I'm sticking with my gut feeling.

Not sure why you posted that link. It lost me with the first sentence...
"Studies in laboratory engines equipped with radioactive piston rings show that wear is highest during a cold startup. Corrosion by condensed combustion products is responsible."
I'm not a scientist of any sort, but exactly how do "laboratory engines equipped with radioactive piston rings" correlate to real-world engines?

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine doesn't even have that much at idle, let alone while eTorque is enraged the engine is not idle (goes to 0)

Well its not running when start/stop is engaged.
30 psi, not 50. My car is 50 psi at idle

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm aware that I omitted the word cold from my previous post. Definitely an oversight. But I'm not convinced that more wear doesn't occur at warm start than if the engine were kept running. Again, as mentioned in my previous post, that's purely my opinion. But until I see data on wear in an engine that sees lots of stop/start operations versus an engine that doesn't, I'm sticking with my gut feeling.

Not sure why you posted that link. It lost me with the first sentence...
"Studies in laboratory engines equipped with radioactive piston rings show that wear is highest during a cold startup. Corrosion by condensed combustion products is responsible."
I'm not a scientist of any sort, but exactly how do "laboratory engines equipped with radioactive piston rings" correlate to real-world engines?

One of the premises between warm/hot vs cold start is that a warm/hot engine was previously running and has a substantial amount of oil cling on all the parts vs an engine that's sat long enough to get cold and that same oil having dripped off. Radioactive rings just allows for more precise measurement of loss of material.
I'd think a running idling engine is wearing more than an engine not running but thats me

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
One of the premises between warm/hot vs cold start is that a warm/hot engine was previously running and has a substantial amount of oil cling on all the parts vs an engine that's sat long enough to get cold and that same oil having dripped off. Radioactive rings just allows for more precise measurement of loss of material.
I'd think a running idling engine is wearing more than an engine not running but thats me
Haha, thanks for twisting my words. That's not what I said and you know it.

Users who are viewing this thread