5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eTorque Regenerative Braking

Tinshield

Reaction score
Just got into a 2022 5.7 eTorque from a 2017 3.6. Couple things I noticed that I'm having trouble determining if normal.
  1. When getting near a stop with constant, light pressure on the brake I feel the brakes applying more pressure regardless of what I am doing. In addition, they seem to release close to the actual stop resulting in a very subtle surge. You almost have to vary your own effort on the pedal for a smooth, gradual stop.
  2. During this time where I feel the extra braking there's some extra noise I'd describe as a drone, almost like a gear whine from about the middle to the rear of the truck. This only happens during braking and just prior to an actual stop.
Can anyone else relate to this?

56 Pontiac

Reaction score
Huh. I had noticed the weird braking feeling, wondered WTF and now I know (thanks to you guys) it is regenerative braking peculiarities (owner's manual only says "store energy from deceleration"). I guess I'll just live with it; I spend quite a bit of time stopped at traffic lights so the automatic engine shut down helps save gas (which of course I soon burn with my lead foot haha).

The sudden engine start when stopped and A/C kicks in is bothersome, first few times I almost rammed the vehicle in front of me at the light, but I've learned to keep pressure on the brake pedal to be sure to stay in place. Again, I'll just live with it, I guess.

Dave

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Our 4xe wrangler acts much the same way with the regenerative braking. Once you get used to it, you will hardly touch the brake except to completely stop. The 4xe does feel like it looses, or releases, the regenerative braking at about 5 mph. My Ram is on order but I expect it will feel similar but less drastic. The 4xe let’s you choose it as an option, although it never really gets turned off, just turned down. Supposed to cause less wear on the pads/disks.

Shawn_m

Reaction score
Our 4xe wrangler acts much the same way with the regenerative braking. Once you get used to it, you will hardly touch the brake except to completely stop. The 4xe does feel like it looses, or releases, the regenerative braking at about 5 mph. My Ram is on order but I expect it will feel similar but less drastic. The 4xe let’s you choose it as an option, although it never really gets turned off, just turned down. Supposed to cause less wear on the pads/disks.

Nobody is going to convince me that the added braking (when I don't want it to) is more fuel efficient than coasting to a stop like a normal vehicle. I come over the top of the hill on my street and let off the gas and at some point...going down hill...I have to reapply gas or the truck will come to a near stop. I understand some people like the added braking feel of it but I'd rather be the one in control of my vehicle, not the other way around.

Shawn_m

Reaction score
That's not how they all work. With my foot on the brakes, if the engine restarts because of the climate control, it doesn't move. And, when I take my foot off the brake it barely starts to roll forward, which I actually like because it gives a smoother easier start from stop instead of a lurch.
See I hear stories like this and think there's some issue with mine, which I've expressed to the dealership. Maybe they just don't want to deal with it. Glad it's working out for others.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nobody is going to convince me that the added braking (when I don't want it to) is more fuel efficient than coasting to a stop like a normal vehicle. I come over the top of the hill on my street and let off the gas and at some point...going down hill...I have to reapply gas or the truck will come to a near stop. I understand some people like the added braking feel of it but I'd rather be the one in control of my vehicle, not the other way around.
I’m not sure you are adding gas to keep it rolling as much as adding pedal that releases the regenerative braking. This is my experience with the 4xe so I realize it’s different, but maybe the tech is similar. The 4xe has several power gauges that show energy application and power use/generation. When regenerative braking is occurring you can see power being gained. Step on the gas pedal and power is consumed. Step on the pedal just a little and power is zero-neither generating or consuming power. When I do that I can feel the regenerative braking release and the Jeep coasts. I feel like a have the same amount of control as a traditional vehicle. I could argue maybe more control because I can easily and effectively modulate the power with a single pedal and there is no overlap. It’s either on/off/neutral. This works in either electric only or hybrid mode. You learn to use the three modes to control your braking. Taking your foot off the gas pedal completely with this setup equates to braking not coasting. It takes a different technique to driving. Of course, If that is the case it would be nice if Ram to tell owners that. They don’t explain it that was for the 4xe owners. You just gotta figure it out for yourself.

like I said though, I don’t own an eTorque yet so it very likely I am way off base.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m not sure you are adding gas to keep it rolling as much as adding pedal that releases the regenerative braking. This is my experience with the 4xe so I realize it’s different, but maybe the tech is similar. The 4xe has several power gauges that show energy application and power use/generation. When regenerative braking is occurring you can see power being gained. Step on the gas pedal and power is consumed. Step on the pedal just a little and power is zero-neither generating or consuming power. When I do that I can feel the regenerative braking release and the Jeep coasts. I feel like a have the same amount of control as a traditional vehicle. I could argue maybe more control because I can easily and effectively modulate the power with a single pedal and there is no overlap. It’s either on/off/neutral. This works in either electric only or hybrid mode. You learn to use the three modes to control your braking. Taking your foot off the gas pedal completely with this setup equates to braking not coasting. It takes a different technique to driving. Of course, If that is the case it would be nice if Ram to tell owners that. They don’t explain it that was for the 4xe owners. You just gotta figure it out for yourself.

like I said though, I don’t own an eTorque yet so it very likely I am way off base.
I have gotten used to the regen braking, and it is similar. When towing especially, and using ACC, I notice very little wheel braking to maintain speed on a downhill grade but do notice regen braking. As far as I am concerned, it reduces ware on the brake pads, so I am totally OK with it. I don't notice it much in normal driving, but it is there. Others might have a more radical application, but mine is barely noticeable.

HAL9001

Reaction score
I've had the eTorque Hemi for over a year now and I love it. I don't notice any strange braking going on. Everything is all smooth as silk, in fact, this is the smoothest shifting and braking vehicle I've ever owned. I love driving it.

Last edited:

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score

This has been my experience in the Pacifica PHEV as well - really nice to choose level of regen and add charge while saving breaks. I can drive that thing so smooth it surprises people.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've had the eTorque Hemi for over a year now and I love it. I don't notice any strange breaking going on. Everything is all smooth as silk, in fact, this is the smoothest shifting and breaking vehicle I've ever owned. I love driving it.
It's good to hear that your eTorque is reliable and not breaking, but do you notice the regenerative braking? :LOL: Wait, your transmission shifts smooth, but it's breaking too. I'm confused. :confused:

HAL9001

Reaction score
It's good to hear that your eTorque is reliable and not breaking, but do you notice the regenerative braking? :LOL: Wait, your transmission shifts smooth, but it's breaking too. I'm confused. :confused:
Ok, looks like the grammar police got me. Typing too fast and relying too much on Grammarly. You guys are braking my balls.

Reaction score
Coming to a stop with this truck is kind of driving me crazy. The jerking with the regen braking every time the transmission downshifts is beyond annoying. Does anyone know if the dealer can disable or lessen the level or regen braking?
Struggling with the same issue. Mine wasn't always this way. Something has changed. It's like the tranny and the regen braking are out of sync or something

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

rfallara

Reaction score
Struggling with the same issue. Mine wasn't always this way. Something has changed. It's like the tranny and the regen braking are out of sync or something

What year and model are you running? Have you talked to the dealer about it yet?

I just got this 2022 a month ago and this is the way it came from the factory.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What year and model are you running? Have you talked to the dealer about it yet?

You might ask the dealer if there is an update. My '22 doesn't act as you described. Other than me taking a couple of days to get used to the regen braking, I haven't felt any harshness or jerking while downshifting, stopping, or stopped. Hopefully they can smooth it out for you

Reaction score

2019 1500 5.7 etorque Limited. Local dealer lost their transmission guy so they've not been able to look at it yet.

Shawn_m

Reaction score
My 22 is almost impossible to modulate.
This is exactly how I feel with my 2021. I've mentioned it to my service tech, they basically told me I should go find an older truck with a carb and a 3 speed trans if i don't like it. I told him my kid who just started driving is a smoother ride in his 20 year old dakota than my new truck. They don't care.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine adds more and less regen as I slow down, probably about 3 zones from 60-0. You guys are correct that you have to anticipate and change brake pedal pressure as you are slowing down to be smooth. The trans is far in the background (except the little nudge on the 3rd to 1st downshift at a stop). I would think if you ever get an aftermarket tune, you could ask them to lessen or delete the regen on slowdown, and possibly accept the 48v charge problem that may creep up. The truck would probably get slightly worse mpg as it pulls the generator more to recharge. It's what I plan to do. I have extremely little instances of city driving/start:stop in my commuting. I literally have 1 stop coming into work ~18 miles.

Tinshield

Reaction score
Mine adds more and less regen as I slow down, probably about 3 zones from 60-0. You guys are correct that you have to anticipate and change brake pedal pressure as you are slowing down to be smooth. The trans is far in the background (except the little nudge on the 3rd to 1st downshift at a stop). I would think if you ever get an aftermarket tune, you could ask them to lessen or delete the regen on slowdown, and possibly accept the 48v charge problem that may creep up. The truck would probably get slightly worse mpg as it pulls the generator more to recharge. It's what I plan to do. I have extremely little instances of city driving/start:stop in my commuting. I literally have 1 stop coming into work ~18 miles.
I’m actually adjusting slower than I anticipated but I’m anticipating a lot better. Damn if I’m not getting 20+ mpg right now average so I don’t want to complain.

Houstontiger

Reaction score
I have bought a 22 Longhorn with 5.7 etorque. I traded in a 19 Longhorn non etorque. I feel that this etorque is absolute garbage. My fuel economy is not any better than 5.7 non etorque. The Regen braking is horrible and it makes the truck feel out of tune. I really miss the smooth silky feel of non etorque.

Users who are viewing this thread