5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eTorque Regenerative Braking

Tinshield

Reaction score
Just got into a 2022 5.7 eTorque from a 2017 3.6. Couple things I noticed that I'm having trouble determining if normal.
  1. When getting near a stop with constant, light pressure on the brake I feel the brakes applying more pressure regardless of what I am doing. In addition, they seem to release close to the actual stop resulting in a very subtle surge. You almost have to vary your own effort on the pedal for a smooth, gradual stop.
  2. During this time where I feel the extra braking there's some extra noise I'd describe as a drone, almost like a gear whine from about the middle to the rear of the truck. This only happens during braking and just prior to an actual stop.
Can anyone else relate to this?

Louhound88

Reaction score
Just got into a 2022 5.7 eTorque from a 2017 3.6. Couple things I noticed that I'm having trouble determining if normal.
  1. When getting near a stop with constant, light pressure on the brake I feel the brakes applying more pressure regardless of what I am doing. In addition, they seem to release close to the actual stop resulting in a very subtle surge. You almost have to vary your own effort on the pedal for a smooth, gradual stop.
  2. During this time where I feel the extra braking there's some extra noise I'd describe as a drone, almost like a gear whine from about the middle to the rear of the truck. This only happens during braking and just prior to an actual stop.
Yeah that's how I would describe mine too. I can feel the added braking when coming to a stop, as if i'm braking hard.

I have a 2021 so it may be slightly different, but I never could hear a drone from the middle to rear of the truck. Do you have your truck in 4 Auto or something else?

I also notice that my truck will lurch forward a bit if i'm stopped at a light and the truck restarts on it's own before i'm ready. Which I believe is also normal.

Tinshield

Reaction score
Yeah that's how I would describe mine too. I can feel the added braking when coming to a stop, as if i'm braking hard.

I have a 2021 so it may be slightly different, but I never could hear a drone from the middle to rear of the truck. Do you have your truck in 4 Auto or something else?

I also notice that my truck will lurch forward a bit if i'm stopped at a light and the truck restarts on it's own before i'm ready. Which I believe is also normal.
Thanks. Yes, I’m in 4wd auto this time of year. Did the same with my last truck but that didn’t have limited slip either. I wonder if that’s what I’m hearing. I’ll try 2wd and see.

Shawn_m

Reaction score
This is the number 1 reason I'll be trading mine for a non etorque truck. I can't stand needing to modulate the brake pedal to come to a nice linear stop without giving my passengers whiplash between the harsh downshifts and the regenerative charging kicking in.

Tinshield

Reaction score
Well, discovered this truck makes more noise in 4wd auto! Thanks for the hint. Must be the difference in axles.

The braking is annoying but I’m already getting used to it. Didn’t realize I’d be feeling the regen.

Louhound88

Reaction score
Yeah you're hearing the transfer case/front differential. Directly under your cab, easier to hear. I've heard it on previous vehicles with 4 Auto type modes or when in 4hi/4lo.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is the number 1 reason I'll be trading mine for a non etorque truck. I can't stand needing to modulate the brake pedal to come to a nice linear stop without giving my passengers whiplash between the harsh downshifts and the regenerative charging kicking in.
Harsh downshifts? There must be something wrong with your truck because I barely notice my truck downshifting.

Shawn_m

Reaction score
Harsh downshifts? There must be something wrong with your truck because I barely notice my truck downshifting.
Well that's what I thought too. Mine also surges forward when the autostart kicks in at a stop. I've gotten into the habit of when I come to a stop and it shuts off that I press about 50% harder on the brake pedal than it took to stop the truck. Otherwise if autostart comes on, the truck will move forward even with my foot on the brake. learned that the hard way in a drive through line. I've expressed my concerns with the service advisors at my local dealership and their response was; "that's how they all work. I'm sure we all wish we could go back to 4 speed transmissions and carbureted engines but this is the world we live in now" lol i didn't even know how to respond.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I like the added braking. It’s basically like downshifting your truck.
Agreed! It’s also a small amount of force and very linear (in my case). Maybe it’s because my truck is a heavy build? I rented a Subaru Outback recently, and I noticed that the Ram braking is far smoother. The Ram also has a much, much nicer stop-start implementation!

834k3r

Reaction score
Yep. I can relate to both. Took me a week or so of driving to get used to the brake feel.

Tinshield

Reaction score
Yeah the start stop in my outback is much more violent than the ram or my focus.

It always always stays off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have a BMW X3 M40i and my wife hates the start/stop so much she will turn it off when I am driving. :) My Ram is glass smooth when compared.

Tinshield

Reaction score
Well that's what I thought too. Mine also surges forward when the autostart kicks in at a stop. I've gotten into the habit of when I come to a stop and it shuts off that I press about 50% harder on the brake pedal than it took to stop the truck. Otherwise if autostart comes on, the truck will move forward even with my foot on the brake. learned that the hard way in a drive through line. I've expressed my concerns with the service advisors at my local dealership and their response was; "that's how they all work. I'm sure we all wish we could go back to 4 speed transmissions and carbureted engines but this is the world we live in now" lol i didn't even know how to respond.
Mine doesn't start until I deliberately lift the brake. I've mastered it at this point where I will sometimes just start before traffic starts moving but normally it's so fast anyway.

Shawn_m

Reaction score
Mine doesn't start until I deliberately lift the brake. I've mastered it at this point where I will sometimes just start before traffic starts moving but normally it's so fast anyway.
Right but that's not what I'm talking about. When it's hot outside and you're sitting at a light or in a drive through lane and it auto starts because the cabin temp can't be maintained. Nothing to do with letting off the brake to purposefully move forward or plan to move forward. I typically just turn it off now when I know there's a probability of that happening. Some people like it, some don't. I hate it and I've been hoping I would learn to like it but it hasn't happened in 10k miles so far.

Tinshield

Reaction score
Right but that's not what I'm talking about. When it's hot outside and you're sitting at a light or in a drive through lane and it auto starts because the cabin temp can't be maintained. Nothing to do with letting off the brake to purposefully move forward or plan to move forward. I typically just turn it off now when I know there's a probability of that happening. Some people like it, some don't. I hate it and I've been hoping I would learn to like it but it hasn't happened in 10k miles so far.
I see what you’re talking about. I’ve had it start after a bit while sitting but it’s never moved at all.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had both Hemi's in a 5th gen - non Etorque 2019 and now Etorque 2021 and I prefer the Etorque engine. I don't have any noticeable weirdness in my brakes - they are smooth and linear, the Auto SS is so good if I don't look at the dash I don't know it even happens and the truck shifts excellent up and down the gears. I haven't noticed any appreciable difference in MPG's between the two engines but I still like the Etorque. We also just added a Pacifica Hybrid to our garage to replace a Subaru outback and the Pacifica Hybrid is really great - the SI-EVT transmission is even smoother than the RAM and the option to drive in Low and have regenerative braking has been awesome. The only issue is when I get back in the Ram I have to remember I can't drive with just the one pedal as much!

Last edited:

834k3r

Reaction score
I've had both Hemi's in a 5th gen - non Etorque 2019 and now Etorque 2021 and I prefer the Etorque engine. I don't have any noticeable weirdness in my brakes - they are smooth and linear, the *** is so good if I don't look at the dash I don't know it even happens and the truck shifts excellent up and down the gears. I haven't noticed any appreciable difference in MPG's between the two engines but I still like the Etorque. We also just added a Pacifica Hybrid to our garage to replace a Subaru outback and the Pacifica Hybrid is really great - the SI-EVT transmission is even smoother than the RAM and the option to drive in Low and have regenerative braking has been awesome. The only issue is when I get back in the Ram I have to remember I can't drive with just the one pedal as much!
I love how the forum software thinks the abbreviation for Auto Start/Stop is a bad word.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's not how they all work. With my foot on the brakes, if the engine restarts because of the climate control, it doesn't move. And, when I take my foot off the brake it barely starts to roll forward, which I actually like because it gives a smoother easier start from stop instead of a lurch.

Users who are viewing this thread